Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Supertrapp on an ls650 (Read 38 times)
jimbrough
Ex Member

Supertrapp on an ls650
12/13/05 at 14:22:02

neat write-up on putting a supertrapp on a savage with some cool diagrams and pics:

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/ls650exh.html

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Supertrapp on an ls650
Reply #1 - 12/13/05 at 15:06:16

That's a pretty impressive increase for and exhaust install.  

The author said they restricted the airflow to simulate a richer mixture and concluded that a main jet increase would not help. I'm not so sure about that.  Seems like more air and more fuel might make even more power.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/13/05 at 20:01:57

Hmm I have no problem passing at 60-65 or even 70.  but 75 is when the problem begins.  I am running a baffleless mac muffler, main jet 152.5, pilot jet 55, and an air soc(pod) directly on the carb.  I think alot of this problem is 2 reasons.  1 the Savage rmp limit and 2 the gearing.  

In my opinion,  I think that the megaphone style supertrapp looks like ugly.  The disc being exposed ruins the look of the bike.  But this is only my opinion so dont be too harsh on me.  I saw one of Lancer's supertraps and it looked awesome, but it wasnt a megaphone style.

Final thought. I bet even with a higher compression piston it wouldnt make a huge amount of difference.  I dont want to switch to a chain drive, even tho it sounds tempting.
Lets face it.  The bike is too light to take it on 100mph romps and although I wish it was a tad faster, its just fine.  I am proud that I didnt buy some cheesy 250 rebel and the classic styling is metal on metal, not plastic like alot of inexpensive cruisers nowadays.  Besides how could I ask for a bunch of better people to share something in common with?  (mucho buttkissing)  but for real.  If it wasnt for this web site I would have neber met Torque and he is a real kewl guy.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 12/13/05 at 22:50:01

"The author said they restricted the airflow to simulate a richer mixture and concluded that a main jet increase would not help. I'm not so sure about that.  Seems like more air and more fuel might make even more power."

If they restricted the airflow then it would create a rich mixture...but a SMALLER  AMOUNT of richer mixture.  So power would be down for sure.

The Savage is a relatively lighter bike, when compared to big cruisers.  However, when at speed...80+...my Savage is quite solid.  Even at 100 it still feel pretty good.  Obviously, I do not ride that fast during high wind conditions.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 12/15/05 at 18:59:41

I have been running one for over a year. Good pipe.
I have a closed cap for low rumble and an open reverse cone to let it roar. Takes 5 minutes to pull the bolts and change the ends.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 12/16/05 at 20:49:57

I red this article before and re-red it couple of times now, trying to understend what is wrong with this guy's statement. First thing- top speed of 81 MPH or even 85 mph - this is a joke. I bet a bone stock Savage should top this speed. This is the first thing. The second thing is  that all of us go to a different exhaust and lessen the spacer and go to bigger main jet and the top speed and the responce improves. How come only one person has opposite results?! The only answer I can come up with is that these guys left the exhaust most restricted. This will explain everything. I know there are guys on this forum, whi have ST and I am curious to hear their statement about the top speed and about the jetting.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 12/16/05 at 21:00:49

bone stock, chopped with a weight of 301 lbs fueled. total weight with me 481 lbs.

sitting upright  87mph
prone over tank  95 mph.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:09:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Supertrapp on an ls650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!