Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Changed the oil today (Read 6 times)
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Changed the oil today
12/11/05 at 18:19:49

I thought y'all might enjoy hearing about my first Savage DIY maintenance adventure.

I got the Savage Thursday.  I didn't ask the previous owner about the what maintenance it needed.  So I figured it was time to do the oil change anyway. That never hurts.  

I don't have a manual yet, so I reviewed Greg_650's excellent thread on changing the oil. I went down to the dealer yesterday and bought a filter, both "O" rings and 3 quarts of oil. I gather the the 17mm wrench, the 5mm allen wrench.

I warmed the engine up for about 5 minutes, shut it down and put a pan under it. I got on the ground and started looking for the drain plug.  

Right off the bat I burned my finger on the hot exhaust. Then I found the 17mm plug, opened it up and about 2 ounces of oil came out.  I couldn't imagine how the engine could possibly run with that little oil. The plug was well above the bottom of the crankcase, but oil definitely came out of there.

I let it drain while I replaced the oil filter with no problem. Put the drain plug in and added a quart of oil.

When I checked the level on the sight glass, it was over full. Hmm, that doesn't seem right. So I get on my back and look at the crankcase again. Then I found the real drain plug.

So I drained about 3 quarts of oil, replaced the plug and filled it up.  All was good.

So i wasted a quart of oil and burned my finger.  I guess this makes me an official shade tree motocycle mechanic.    Smiley

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Re: Chaned the oil today
Reply #1 - 12/11/05 at 18:30:29

I changed mine for the first time this summer...thought it would help to lay it on its side - my son came out - looked at me and the bike and the pool of oil soaking into the gravel-shook his head and jumped in his jeep.  He had strong suspicions i was wacko before and now they are definitely confirmed!

Didn't burn myself but got some real fine scraped knuckles every time the wrench slipped off the bolt!

Cheers!

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Changed the oil today
Reply #2 - 12/11/05 at 18:42:18

Layed it over to change oil?  i never thought of that. Smiley.

Steve

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 12/11/05 at 19:42:23

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
So i wasted a quart of oil and burned my finger.  I guess this makes me an official shade tree motocycle mechanic.    Smiley

At least this mistake will never happen again. Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 12/11/05 at 20:09:15

If you are doing the oil change on the sidestand it helps to stand the bike up straight and rock it back and forth over center to get all the oil out. Also the capacity on the engine is more correct than the manuals. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 12/11/05 at 20:35:50

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

Let's hope so. Smiley

IP Logged
kikuchiyo
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/12/05 at 00:11:20

First oil change! I guess I held the bike not exactly at the 90 degrees angle because after 2.3 quarts the oil still would not show through the oil window. I played with the angle and shortly realized that I had to drain half a quart. I decided to drain excess oil slowly but it was windy that day and during one powerful gust my face got splashed with draining oil. In addition at that very moment the plug escaped my oily fingers and fell into the bucket. By the time I recovered the plug almost all the oil was gone. I had to clean up and drive to the store for another quarts. This time I did everything right and even considered the direction and speed of the wind. The whole debacle took me almost two hours. At the end it got dark and I ended my first oil change with the balancing act of holding the bike in one hand and flashlight in the other while looking for the oil level.
Good memories!

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 12/12/05 at 09:38:03

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

Atta boy Steve. Now you enjoy that warm fuzzy feeling you get knowing you did the job yourself, with the added benefit of saving money by not taking it to the stealership and knowing the job is done right.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Panther
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/12/05 at 09:58:46

I lightly burned my neck, with the exhaust, looking under the bike for the plug. Everyone thought it was a hicki Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 12/12/05 at 11:46:04

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

That may be true, but rest assured, you'll find some others!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 12/12/05 at 15:36:00

Here's a tip that works on my '02, place the kickstand on a piece of 2x4 (1 1/2 inch high) and fill the crankcase till you just see the oil at the bottom of the sight window. When you rock the bike up to level the oil should be close to the middle of the glass.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/12/05 at 15:44:04

I put two 2x4's under my side stand (stacked flat, height about 3.5") and check the level with a level laid across the starter.  Just a slight tweak of the handlebar generally puts the bike perfectly level.

I would use one 2x4 tall, but I like the stability of using two flat.  Besides, it's easy to find scrap 2x4's.

YMMV

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 12/12/05 at 17:43:20

Ya'll doin good...real good.

Give yourself a hand.........

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 12/12/05 at 18:42:44

Humm! Whenever I open the drain plug, at least 2 qts of it come out. This shady mechanic must be lucky then Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #14 - 12/13/05 at 07:55:59

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
If you are doing the oil change on the sidestand it helps to stand the bike up straight and rock it back and forth over center to get all the oil out. ... Max

Thanks, Max. I'll try that next time.

Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com