Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idling question from a newbie (Read 4 times)
zukimans40
Ex Member

Idling question from a newbie
12/04/05 at 22:50:58

Hi everyone! I am new here and asking for your input.

I just purchased a 2006 Suzuki S40 and was wondering about 2 main issues: The bike starts right up with no problem but I notice it has a very low idle. Is this common with the S40?

Secondly, since the bike starts up, even cold(I'm in California) I've never had to use the choke. Although, I did try testing the choke with the engine idling. I was always told that when the choke is out( in this case pulled out), the engine should idle faster. When I did pull out the choke, it had a reverse effect on the idle. In fact, when I pulled the choke it cut the engine. Is my reasoning way off? Or, dont try to mess with things if it aint broke mentality, i.e. it starts right up with no problems and only use the choke if conventional starting fails during cold days or hasnt been started for a long time.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

IP Logged
chriss

Re: Idling question from a newbie
Reply #1 - 12/04/05 at 23:58:45

I wouldnt worry about it too much as long as it starts right up. I usually have to use the first stop on the choke for my 02 to start when the weather is cooler out, but if its fairly warm , the choke is not needed. I dont notice much increase in rpm's when ideling with the choke out either. Just enough to keep the bike running. When you take it in for your 600 mile check up, have them check it.  
Congratulations on your new bike! As you will see from reading this forum, it is a great bike. I dont think you will regret your purchase. This bike is small but is capable of carrying you at 70 mph all day long and not break a sweat. Your next step is to purchase a new after market muffler like the supertrapp, jardine, raask, or as alot do in here, a harley sporster muffler. Install a K@N air filter, and change the main jet and you will have a motorcycle that sounds like a harley, and a big increase in power. My supertrapp give my bike a deep rumble.
Also check your exhaust for bluing, as they set the mixture too lean at the factory. I took mine back to the dealer and they richenend it a bit for me and after 15,000 miles I have no discoration at all. ...
This bike is really easy to work on and listen to the advice given by many in here. most know more about the 650 than most dealers do, and you can save big bucks doing your own repairs...have fun

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/05/05 at 03:42:24

I've alway thought my '97 sounded fast, but if I set if much lower it will die occasionally.  Maybe I'll actually get the tach hooked up to it one of these days and see.

You have it right about the choke, but no need to use it if you don't need it.  Mine doesn't start right if I try to use it.  If it's a bit cooler I usually pull mine out to the first notch to start it, put on my gloves and helmet, and then put the choke back in.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 12/05/05 at 05:53:18

zukimans40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
....The bike starts right up with no problem but I notice it has a very low idle. Is this common with the S40?...

The idle sounds slower than it is.

A 900 rpm idle on a twin produces 15 pops per second.

On a Thumper, the same 900 rpm only produces 7.5 pops per second.  The very same idle sounds half as fast.  It is a large part of the charm of a Thumper.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 12/05/05 at 07:00:05

Welcome to the Savage Community "Z", you do indeed have a great bike.  It is a good dependable machine and with a little tweaking can run with most any street bike on the road.  We are not quite as fast as the rocket bikes but for NORMAL street riding it is really hard to beat.  And the price cannot be beat.
No worry over the idle, as said already it is normal.  The coke is a non issue as well, you live in a relatively warm place and it is just not cold enough to warrant using the choke very often.  When using the coke it is dieing on you and that is normal, because of the warm conditions when the choke is activated is creates an over-rich condition...then dies.  Everything is working as advertised...be at peace.

Otheres have mentioned changing the exhaust for increase power and sound, this is true but you may be not want to do that right off the bat since you have  new bike.  I would however, rejet the carb.  Going one size larger on the main jet and pilot jet.  You could even get a jet kit which contains main jets and a  new needle...these richen the mid and high range.  Then add a larger pilot jet for the low range.  The jets individually cost about $4 each, and the jet kit about $65.  

The rejetting will richen the air/fuel ratio and create more power and also help "reduce the engine temperature", which is an important consideration.

If you are up for the exhaust change, that will increase power...especially when done in conjunction with the rejet...BIG INCREASE!    The sportster muffler, found in abundance on ebay for cheap, will do quite well on the Savage and is a virtual bolt on.

Welcome again.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 12/05/05 at 07:25:52

About the choke- USUALLY it will increase the Idle RPM when the bike is cold, because always the bikes are set very lean from the factories. Let's look at it from this point- there is always perfect air/fuel ratio.  Less or more fuel is worse. If Your bike is a little on the rich side to start with /this is why You don't have to use a choke/. If You open a port that is givving very rich mix , the overall mixture will be richer , than You started with and the bike will run worse. I think, that somebody has been playing with the idle mix. screw to avoid the backfiring /popping/ on deccel and has adjusted the idle a little too rich.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
zukimans40
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/05/05 at 14:02:23

Thank you all for your kind responses. You have definitely set my mind at ease.

I have been told by many people about this bike(of course the ones that had negative feedbacks did not own one, hehe) and I decided to go with my gut instinct and the fact that the bike looked so gosh darn beautiful sitting still!! And know what? I dont regret it one bit!

I also love the "renegade" and "rebellious" aura about the bike. Going against the grain of the overall populace has its own rewards. And I'm sure mine will keep rewarding me in the years to come. Thanks all again. You guys are really cool people.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #7 - 12/05/05 at 14:09:16

Welcome!

I too have an '06 here in California and all the above posts are dead on (wouldn't expect any less from this list).  If it starts and goes, don't stress it.  It'll should keep starting and going every day.

You a northerner or a southerner?

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 12/05/05 at 14:45:26

My buddy has a  '98 Yamaha V Star 650, when starting cold, he pulls the choke all the way out. The warmer it gets, the faster it idles. My '05 S40 does the exact opposite, the warmer it gets the slower it idles. Always thought this was odd, but that's exactly the way the dealer showed me to warm it up. When it starts to chug, push the choke in a click. Works like a charm every time.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:32:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idling question from a newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.