Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage rework, have questions (Read 5 times)
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Savage rework, have questions
11/28/05 at 11:22:25

)Well I have poured over a lot of information here on this wonderful site and still have a couple questions that I hope you good folk might be able to assist me with Wink

I am currently in the process of reworking my fathers 1996 Savage for him. I have done a lot of work on Intruders, but this is the first for me on the Savage.

I have started with the Plug/Cap modification and have to say that this site has made that job very doable 8) (thank goodness my father has a Savage that's tank was easy to remove Grin

Now the other things to do. When he bought his Savage it had brand new Metzler ME-880's installed by the dealer. What I need to add now is a pair of Progressive 412's (I read the number here as 412-4207C+ same as stock Intruder shocks then), but I think I read somewere that someone had changed the fork springs to a set of Progressives....If so does someone have the part number they used? (since Progressive does not list the Savage on their page :'( )

The other mod's I am currently looking at doing would be to add a Superbrace to the front when the suspension is complete and to add K&N air/oil filters too.

The other thing I have read about is going into the carb to remove the EPA white spacer in order to reduce/remove that backfire. I read about it on another site, but was wondering if anyone had some info here with pictures?

I am also working on replacing the pipes with either a sportster pipe or with a supertrapp pipe. I also want to elevate the front of the seat by about 1" like I have seen done.

Anyway this is what I am currently doing for my father. So any help with the fork springs part number or with info on the carb mod would be greatly appreciated.

My father, at 70, loves this bike and I need to get it up and going for him as soon as I can Smiley

Well once again thanks for any help or suggestions that can be thrown my way. And again I want to say how wonderful a site this is for the Savage!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Savage rework, have questions
Reply #1 - 11/28/05 at 17:29:01

The Progressive shocks 412-4207C+ will raise the seat some, maybe a couple of inches. For me, I like the taller seat now. Here are the part numbers for other lengths if needed:  412 Series:
Standard 11"  :  412-4233C  
Standard 11.5"  :  412-4201C  
Standard 12"  :  412-4228C  
Standard 12.5"  :  412-4207C+  
Heavy Duty 11.5"  :  412-4236C  
Heavy Duty 12"  :  412-4238C  
Heavy Duty 12.5"  :  412-4214C+  
I don't know the part# for their fork springs. I'm going to try Amsoil 20 weight fork oil, possibly some 1" homemade spacers for preload & definately a fork brace soon. There's some good info on the white spacer in the tech section & in the Search function. I kept the spacer & just thinned it to 1/2 width. Some go thinner, some less depending on pipes, airbox mods, etc. I hope that helps.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 11/28/05 at 18:37:08

HDI_IA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
My father, at 70, loves this bike and I need to get it up and going for him as soon as I can Smiley

Let me suggest this - for us old men - the 412-4232C at 11" on about the 2nd click - depending on his weight - will give a very smooth ride.

Use #7 rubber plugs from the hardware store and longer bolts as in the tech section to lift the seat and keep you off the tank.

Read over the carb section - most likely 1/2 spacer, 152.5 main jet, couple turns out on the needle, and either pipe will give your dad a fine running machine.

Superbrace by all means.

IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #3 - 11/29/05 at 01:17:46

babbalou and Reelthing thanks very much for the information. This is what I was looking for Smiley

Looking at the information I think the 11" 412's look like they fit the bill. My father has a C50 as well, but loves his Savage as it is a little lower and easier for him to handle in his everyday commutes (plus he dropped the C50 in a sharp U-turn once and is leary of the bike now :'( ).

It looks like the 1/2 spacer is the way I will go. I was looking around and found a post by Dynobob (9/20/05) that shows me the location of the spacer so this should be easy. Did you guys just sand the spacer down a bit?

babbalou if your looking for a smooth ride the 20w should do the trick. I am running 15w (stock is 10w) with the progressive fork springs on my vs800 and love it. The 10w was just too rough a ride. Be a little careful on how much you put in as when I went to the heavier weight oil I ran a little too much and had it blow out of the seals on a long ride. Needless to say I was covered in oil when I got back  Sad

Anyway you guys thanks very much for your information. This has been a really big help. I am trying to get this done for him as quickly as possible as he misses his Savage and I miss him going on rides with me, so I need him to be back in the saddle ASAP!

I will update my progress as I go. Now I need to go spend some more cash to get this done!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 11/29/05 at 07:01:57

HDI_IA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
It looks like the 1/2 spacer is the way I will go. I was looking around and found a post by Dynobob (9/20/05) that shows me the location of the spacer so this should be easy. Did you guys just sand the spacer down a bit?

I did - just held some sand paper on a board to get the spacer flat and mic as I went - some folks have used #4 washers - 2 of them I think - put washers on a bolt with nut and in a drill to spin them down to the correct diameter.

By the way the 11" I refer to is not on the above list - it is a 90/130lb the listed one is a 115/155

IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #5 - 11/29/05 at 07:52:32

Reelthing wrote:
"By the way the 11" I refer to is not on the above list - it is a 90/130lb the listed one is a 115/155"

Thanks for the info, that is actually more of what I am looking for. I currently run 412 heavy duties on my vs800 and my father thinks they are a little too 'Stout' so if they are softer that allows me to adjust up to were he wants it.

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:22:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage rework, have questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.