Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boswell-Mikuni Racing Carburetor (Read 14 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Boswell-Mikuni Racing Carburetor
11/22/05 at 10:15:17

I came by this item last week on ebay.  It is a Boswell-Mikuni Racing Carburetor...38mm...based on the TM flatslide carb and modified a good bit

Notice the engine side of the carb, with the extra piece of aluminum tube (with lots of small holes) that extends the bore of the carb by 3/4".  There are 3 sets of holes on the extension...the first row next to the carb are drilled straight in and are the size of a small pencil lead...the 3rd row is drilled straight in and is the sized of a standard pencil lead...the middle row is drilled at an angle of at least 45 degrees and is pencil lead size.
The aluminum flange (seen in the lower right) covers the entire piece and maintains a 3-4mm air space around the bore extension.   I did not get any info with it so I am not up on all of the specifics with this thing, but I think the reason for this drilled bore extension is to smooth out the air flow and thereby increasing the velocity & volume of air moved through the bore.  
When flying in the military there was a system designed for jet aircraft that kept the air flowing smoothly over the wing even when at slow air speeds and at a high angle of attack.  The air moving  closest to the wing is called the "Boundry Layer", and it is critical to keep it moving smoothly in order to create maximum lift.  This was achieved by installing a bunch of small holes along and just behind the leading edge of the wing, and then blowing air through those holes which combined with the air moving over the wing...reducing turbulance...thus helping to keep a smoooth flow of air over the wing.  
I think this perforated bore extension is doing a similar thing for the air flow in the carb....reducing turbulance and the result is a more smooth, faster air flow...and that pulls in more fuel and atomizes it better...which results in more power and better fuel economy.

WE SHALL SEE WHEN IT IS ON THE SAVAGE...THE TRUTH WILL BE REVIELED.

This carb came with an extra slide, 4 more needles, 8 main and 4 pilot jets.  The slide is modified a little (I do not know the details for that) and it uses a dual pilot jet setup in the intake side of the bore.  This puppy is ready for war!

It was said to retail for $400, and I got it for $70.99

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Boswell-Mikuni Racing Carburetor
Reply #1 - 11/22/05 at 11:07:30

Very cool find.  I think you may need to change your screen name to Captain_Carburetor though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 11/22/05 at 12:26:07

"installing a bunch of small holes"   Cheesy  very funny.   What's not so funny is that it's just might be a d@mn fine carb for a hopped up savage...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/22/05 at 13:27:44

I am really anxcious to get out in the morning and put this on my Savage.  It is a good thing I have new rubber on the rear wheel...it may burn part of it off before I get it under control!!!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 11/22/05 at 14:08:44

You go, Bro!  I'm planning on puttin' on that 38mm Amal this weekend too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/22/05 at 15:15:45

There's nothing like a little power boost to get your morning off to a rousing start.

IP Logged
Tim Krantz

Reply #6 - 11/22/05 at 20:15:37

Lancer, the aircraft was/is a F4 Phantom. I was a Crew Chief on one in the late 60's. It would fly at 65 MPH, and also supersonic. Still impressive to see at the air shows.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 11/22/05 at 22:44:10

fine looking carb - a couple cheap champions to tell you lean or rich and i'll bet she runs - is that a 38mm amal you have on it now?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 11/22/05 at 23:55:21

Tim Krantz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Lancer, the aircraft was/is a F4 Phantom. I was a Crew Chief on one in the late 60's. It would fly at 65 MPH, and also supersonic. Still impressive to see at the air shows.

There are a number of aircraft with the "Boundary layer air system" on them now, and probably with many that we do not know about.  It is a very effective system.

I have one of my Edelbrocks on it now, but that will be coming off in the morning.  I sold one and have been waiting the last few days to get some decent weather so I can get it off...do the carb swap...shock swap... paint prep...so much to do and so little time.  It is a terrible thing when all of the stuff you have to do keeps getting in the way of the stuff you want to do.  There just isn't enough play time.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 11/23/05 at 03:18:23

Hey Lancer

What is the I.D. of the bit with the holes in it ?
Keep us posted with the results.

Thanks

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 11/23/05 at 07:08:56

The holey bore extension has a 38mm ID, it was machined in to the carb bore.
I forgot to mention before that the aluminum flange that fits over the holey extension has been polished to a mirror finish on the inside...that would help the air flow.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 11/23/05 at 08:50:20

I was thinking about this carb last night...  It occured to me that there might not be any significant improvement over the eddlebrock or amal carbs unless the engine is allready really tight...  but Lancer will let us know.   Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 11/26/05 at 20:25:50

New Boswell-Mikuni mounted on Savage...will start and run but needs some dedicated jetting/tuning.  This puppy flows a lot of fuel.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 11/28/05 at 01:12:17

Hey Lancer
Nice filter, is it from a flat tracker.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 11/28/05 at 06:15:05

This filter is 3.5" dia. and has a 20 deg angle on the flange, which helps with the fit in the Savage frame.  I just  found this one a few days ago at sudco and will be using it in the carb kits from now on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 23:29:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Boswell-Mikuni Racing Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.