Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
frozen fingers? (Read 6 times)
JayB
Ex Member

frozen fingers?
11/22/05 at 07:33:35

Riding in cold weather never used to be a problem. Now I have a much longer commute. With all my leathers, boots, neck and head gear, I'm pretty nice and warm. Except for my fingers. The first ten miles are ok. After that my fingers start to hurt then eventually go numb. When I get off the highway it is difficult to operate the clutch & brake. The snowmobile gloves I wore with my last sport bike don't work. Surgical rubber gloves under my lined deerskins seems to be my best option so far.
Anyone ever seen a streetbike with those offroad brushguards in front of the grips?
Do I just have poor circulation or do others battle this problem?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: frozen fingers?
Reply #1 - 11/22/05 at 08:30:54

JayB,

I've got the same problem.  My fingers always freeze.  I ahve not found a good solution yet.  I do have those brushguards on my V* during the winter to block the wind.  They only help if you can position them correctly.  I got mine from National Cycle, though other companies make them.  Also, I recomend NOT using surgical latex gloves... makes your hands sweat, then it gets cold.

Try some lycra (the sweat wicking material) inserts with your regular lined gloves.  So far this is what i find works best...

Good luck!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 11/22/05 at 09:02:36

Got Milk?

Ages and ages ago I was hunting with my uncle near 100 mile house, BC.  Ran out of milk, had to go pick some up.  Hopped on the old DT175, dressed in thermal underwear, wool pants, wool shirt, goose down vest, wool jacket, 3/4 helmet with bubble, and a pair of down mittens similar to:
http://www.allthingsarctic.com/detail.aspx?ID=720

About 10 miles through the falling snow.   My hands stayed toasty warm.  The rest of me suffered.  If you do one-finger braking you can find hunting mittens that have a hole for the trigger finger.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 11/22/05 at 09:50:50

White cotton gloves, the kind nurses may use when ushering outgoing patients on wheelchairs (or PapaCunningham when going to his Leopard Lodge meets)
Try them under your ordinary gloves, they should work fine.
Else, try gloves with REAL fur inside (not the icly pricky synthetic stuff)

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 11/22/05 at 10:56:56

Aerostich has several glove liners available, from synthetics, to silk to kevlar.  At $12 a pair for 100% kevlar,I picked up a pair of the kevlar liners because they add some warmth and a little extra abrasion resistance.  So far as thin liners go, I think the silk would probably be one of the best for warmth though. Silk is actually pretty durable too... and not bad at $9 a pair.  I think the least expensive liners were about $6 a pair and they go from there.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/22/05 at 12:25:18

I had the same severe problem and it drove me nuts - then I tried a pair of $20 snowmobile Mitts (as apposed to gloves) and they sure do the trick - never feel the cold now and today it was -2C with a strong, freezing wind out of the NW!!

IP Logged
Patty
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/24/05 at 05:07:15

MY big lovable but sometimes dumb husband rides his Volusia in weather as cold as 25 degrees...*sheesh*...and he swears by some gloves he bought at a Wal-Mart. Big, thick, and waterproof...for about 12 bucks. He tells me at temps below 25 after 30 miles his fingers begin to feel cold.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:38:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › frozen fingers?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.