Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aluminum polish (Read 10 times)
JBALLSATX
Ex Member

Aluminum polish
11/20/05 at 07:33:27

I bought a 2001 Savage yesterday with 7600 miles on it for $1850. I was searching on E-Bay and found this one only 6 miles away from me here in San Antonio. I've wanted one for years and always have owned "thumpers" starting with a Harley 350 Sprint that I rode in college back in the 70's and a Honda NX 250 that I played around with up untilI got married a couple of years ago and she had me sell. I've missed having a bike and now I have a REAL motorcycle. It has the screeming eagle exhaust pipe and a windshield. I intend to add saddle bags and do some other neat stuff to it.
    This bike was owned buy a guy down near the Gulf Coast and has suffered some corrosion on the aluminum and chromed parts. There are small spots of white corrosion on the aluminum engine side covers that appear to be pits or something. I bought some of that blue paste polish that is supposed to turn black when you rub it in but it does not do that and does not remove these corroeded spots. Is there some kind or a clear coat on the surface ? Does anyone know how to teat the metal so that I can shine up this fine bike ? Do I need to strip it somehow and then polish it ?
  Thanks for any advice. I really appreciate you all and this web site and enjoy the valuable information !

Jim Ball

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Aluminum polish
Reply #1 - 11/20/05 at 16:58:45

Welcome aboard fellow Texan , the stuff in this post is said to work like magic...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=cafe;action=display;num=1131359745

IP Logged
JBALLSATX
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/20/05 at 17:09:10

Thanks Reelthing, I'll try it !

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 11/20/05 at 22:25:15

Before You start polishing , first You have to strip the clear coating over the aluminum parts. The best , that I have found so far is Klean-strip aircraft paint remover  that is sold in Home depo and Autozone.After You have bare Aluminum surface, You can use whatever You want for polishing. You should be able to see Yourself in a good polished Al.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
chriss

Reply #4 - 11/21/05 at 02:13:06

I took my casings to a  metal polishing shop and when they came back they looked like chrome. I was advised to not clear coat over the new polished metal as it dulls the finish and will scratch. I just use a good metal polish to bring it back up to its chrome like luster. Then a good coat of wax over that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:32:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aluminum polish

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.