Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No oil filter wrench needed! Is this right? (Read 4 times)
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
No oil filter wrench needed! Is this right?
11/15/05 at 07:11:31

I started winterizing Thumper Saturday, and I first did the spark plug door mod that gazab44 posted about.

That's a great mod, and now I'll never have to remove the seat and the tank ever again just to get to the spark plug! Thanks, gazab44!

Anyway, Sunday was oil change and fuel stabilizer day, and I so rode Thumper for about 20 minutes (on a very cold and rainy morning, BTW) to get the stabilized fuel into the carb and to get the oil flowing and warmed up.

So, I pull into the garage and begin draining the oil. No problems there.

But when I took off the three allen bolts to remove the crancase cover, my Suzuki brand oil filter was loose and just plopped over into the cover.

From reading my Clymer's manual and from reading several threads here, I was under the impression that I would need an oil filter wrench to take out the oil filter. Does anyone know what's up with this?

For the record, Thumper is a baby ... a 2005 model.

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: No oil filter wrench needed! Is this right?
Reply #1 - 11/15/05 at 07:19:01

I don't know what the Clymer manual says about this, but the filter is inside the housing/cover that you removed. It's held in place (by the cover) with a spring, but no tools are needed once the cover is removed.

Be careful not to pinch the o-ring when putting the cover back on.

Did you have a new filter in hand when you started? Should be the same as the old filter.

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #2 - 11/15/05 at 08:08:35

Thats correct, once you have removed the cover thats it.
As mornhm says be careful with the o-ring.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/15/05 at 11:32:10

Tammy I will bet you did the same as I did , Looking for an aftermarket filter from Fram Or STP !! The parts house filter number is for almost all suzuki 650 bikes 6018 (WRONG  for the savage!!!) The 6018 is a screw on filter, Ours takes an element oil filter...   Only place that stocks our filters that I found is a Bike shop #KN 137 filter...I also changed mine this wknd...BTW when I removed my filter the small o ring under the filter was missing !!!  I found one that fits.... Smiley

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 11/15/05 at 12:52:07

Not that it really matters because I'm sure you will figure it out, but the o-ring to which I was referring is the larger o-ring that seals the cover. This one is in a groove on the cover and if it gets twisted or pinched it will leak.

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #5 - 11/15/05 at 13:38:34

Thanks, everyone.

Glad to learn that nothing was amiss about my oil filter setup.

I think I put everything back just right. I know I put the small o-ring, the filter, and the spring back in the right order. I just hope nothing slipped out of alignment as I was putting the crankcase cover back on.

I didn't check too closely how the large o-ring fit into the groove in the crankcase cover. But I ran a finger dipped in new oil around the ring (as mentioned in the Clymer) and it seemed to be fitting in smoothly.

I didn't crank up Thumper to check for leaks at the crankcase that would indicate a problem with the large o-ring, but I'll peek throughout the winter to see if there's a problem there. And I'll pay close attention to that area in the spring when I fire Thumper up again.

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:14:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No oil filter wrench needed! Is this right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.