Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Helmet Lock Relocation (Read 18 times)
jhargen
Ex Member

Helmet Lock Relocation
11/14/05 at 17:01:58

After I installed saddlebags on my 2005, the helmet lock is no longer easily accessible.  Because this bike is my primary transportation, I'm always carrying my helmet into the store.  Is there an aftermarket helmet lock I can use?  What do you all do?

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Helmet Lock Relocation
Reply #1 - 11/14/05 at 18:08:08

If you have kuryakyn ISO grips a company makes helmet locks so u can attach the to your motorcycle grips.  Its a kewl idea.  I was thinking of relocating mine to the back of the sissybar but I took off my sissy bar insted.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=3536

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 11/15/05 at 00:20:42

I had the same dilema after I installed the saddlebags. So being cheap, I went to the Lowe and bought 2 ft of steel cable and a set of loop-end and made my self a lockable cable for the helmet. I loop the cable through the d ring and through one of its end so that it saty put; the other end of the cable go to the original helmet lock ($4 total + 10 minutes of putting the end on the cable). I wish I have a picture of my contraption ???

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/15/05 at 01:59:09

You can get a helmet lock that clamps onto your handlebars from J&P Cycles.

IP Logged
Tim Krantz

Reply #4 - 11/15/05 at 09:38:14

I put helmet pegs on my FJR. Tjey take the place of the pivot bolts on the brake and clutch levers. Them and 2 mini padlocks. A plus, even while not locking up is your helmet will never again fall off your motorcycle.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/16/05 at 18:19:59

I too buried my lock whilst installing saddle bags. is there a way to just mount the thing on the sissybar somehow ? i never looked close at it and now i am obviously too lazy so i asked y'all
thanks
franch

IP Logged
jhargen
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/16/05 at 18:57:26

Thanks for the input everyone.  I ordered a "helmet lock relocation kit" from nopork.com.  It puts the original helmet lock on the front forks so I can use the same key.

http://www.nopork.com/shop_product.asp?id=HLRK-SUZ01

The website says its for the Suzuki Intruder / Volusia FI 1500 LC and 800, but I checked with a nopork.com rep and they said it will work on a savage.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 11/16/05 at 21:16:31

I park my helmet on the sissy bar and use a bicycle cable very much like SavageDude described to reach the lock under the saddle bag. It is a thin cable by Kryptonite designed for securing a bicycle seat. I can put 2 cables together if I need to secure my jacket and helmet.

Hmmm, I wonder why this picture got resized by the YaBB software...

Model:  KryptoFlex Cable - 2.5'

Cable security perfect for quick release component and accessory lock-up or as a secondary theft deterrent.

# 5mm braided steel cable has greater core density than twisted cables providing increased cut resistance
# Double looped cable for use with all Kryptonite U-Locks, Disc Locks and Padlocks
# Protective vinyl cover
# Perfect for quick release seat and seat post component lock-up
# Limited Lifetime Warranty

For best protection against theft, use cables with a Kryptonite U-Lock or Disc Lock. Cables are recommended as a secondary deterrent, or for additional protection of quick-release components and accessories.

2.5' x 3/16" (76cm x 5mm)
0.11 lbs (.05 kg)
Item # 210719

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/17/05 at 19:49:39

I just took off my helmet lock off and its only one screw and a dimple.  If u wanted to make your own mount kit to the forks SAVE ur 12.99 and shipping and get a small piece of steel.  Put three holes in it.  paint it black. attach the lock, then attach to fender. WAH LAH!

that wasnt so hard no was it?  U dont need any screws so try it yourself Smiley

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #9 - 11/18/05 at 07:26:49

I never could get my helmet lock to open ... and then I put saddlebags on the bike.

I carry a small combination lock attached to the bike. I use that to lock the helmet to the front brake lever. Works like a champ. (except if it rains .. but the stock lock would have the same problem)

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/19/05 at 08:47:00

First, I did this but this isn't too good for a full face helmet.  I used a reflector screw hole and drilled a hole for the pin.

Then I did this.  It works pretty good with the steering locked.

There are also after market locks that bolt on which are available from J&P Cycles.

IP Logged
jhargen
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/03/06 at 20:29:07

I regret buying the "helmet lock relocation kit" from nopork.com.  The rep told me it would work on a 2005 and sure enough, it doesn't.  Of course, I can't get a reply from nopork.com anymore. I wish I had saved my $12.99....

I ended up going with Dynobob's solution of using the KryptoFlex cable.  I was at REI and noticed it only cost $3 (I think it was discounted).  It's been working great for me since then.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/04/06 at 17:56:14

I got the Kuryaken helmet lock kit, that fit on the crash bar, and put it on the right front at the bend. The helmet fits nicely, is away from pipe and there against front fender when I go to get back on the bike.
Someone also talked about locks and I use the heavy duty cable from Bell thru the forks, and front spokes, and thru the brake area. It is so bulkiy you have to see it.
And tonight I added a hockey puck to the end of kickstand. Temporary attachment but we'll see if it keeps bike more upright and doesn't fall off while riding. May have to drill holes thru both for more permanent attachment.
Bill R

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 04:40:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet Lock Relocation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.