Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
removing the decals on the tank (Read 6 times)
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

removing the decals on the tank
11/12/05 at 08:31:05

Okay, so first of all, on a 2000 Savage, those are decals on the tank, right? If so, what is the best way to get them off? I don't have the bike here, so I can't look at it, just wondering. Thanks!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: removing the decals on the tank
Reply #1 - 11/12/05 at 10:06:29

Yeah, those "dumb and dumber" stickers Smiley

Take a look in the Technical Corner.  The best way is to use a hair dryer (not a heat gun).  Heat it gently on an edge and start to peal with your finger nail.  As it comes up, continue heating and pulling.

Those stickers are 2 layered too...sort of laminated film over paper.  It may separate, so be patient.  When done, clean up the adhesive with WD40 and wax.

Don't forget the one on your frame near the petc0ck and on the belt guard too  8)

IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/13/05 at 06:52:09

Awesome, thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged
blueall1
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/14/05 at 11:42:40

I have a 2000 model and it has a clear coat over the sticker, does that mean i can get the stickers off with heat and some goo gone.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 11/14/05 at 12:03:42

The clearcoat is typically only over the tank emblem/decal.  That one is a bit different.  You need to drain and air out your tank first.  Then you use a hair drier (not a heat gun) and heat up a very small section and use something that won't damage the paint (wooden or plastic instead of metal) and slowly work the sticker off.  It takes quite a bit of patience but will come off.  Then you can use Goo Gone to remove the remaining gum.  There will be a faint outline where the decal used to be.  You can  probably reduce that quite a bit with rubbing compound.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 11/15/05 at 04:18:03

Rob,
I got frustrated using a hair dryer, so I carefully used a heat gun with much better results. Carefully is the key word. You could peel everything including paint if you are not careful.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:22:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › removing the decals on the tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.