Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another  idea for hot rodding the Savage (Read 10 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Another  idea for hot rodding the Savage
11/11/05 at 08:39:37

Hey folks,

I was talking to the guy who runs the machine shop at work; he is a gear head.  According to him, since I have two relaible bikes, there is no excuse for me not having one of them hot-rodded.  So I asked him for some ideas besides a piston and a cam.

He recomended shaving some weight off of the flywheel.  He did this to an old Moto Guzi he had (14 lb flywheel to 7 lbs)  and said it got a lot more zippy (quick), which essentailly means more torque.  He said it was reliable until he burned out the clutch.  

So with this in mind...

Anyone put any thought into lightening the flywheel?
And since I don't remember seeing anything about a stronger clutch for our bikes... well?

With the "Compression" thread in mind, let's say one of us (okay, a bunch of us) goes for the 9.4 HC 0.010" overbore piston and a reground cam, and a hot carb...  How much HP and torqqe do you folks think we'll be pushing at the rear wheel?  I think with just a good pipe, air intake and rejet, we must be pushing near 40 ftlbs, and 33 HP, or so.

Anyway, just more to think about to squeeze all we can out of our beloved savages.  Grin

K

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Another  idea for hot rodding the Savage
Reply #1 - 11/11/05 at 09:54:53

Lightening the flywheel will only give you marginal increases in horsepower...just from the lower weight that wouldn't require a certain amount of horsepower to overcome.  It will allow the engine to spin up faster, but there are downsides.

Your friend did this to a Guzzi which is a twin, and with a twin you have rotating masses in the both pistons and flywheel.  Different animal.

Also, consider that the flywheel counter balances the piston.  You might actually gain vibration.  As well, the flywheel keeps a certain amount of inertia in the rotating mass which is important for low end chugging.  It would be easier to stall.  It also helps with steady cruising because it smooths the deceleration effects from the rear wheel.  A lighter flywheel can make the engine jerky feeling at a steady speed.  You'd have to consider lightening the piston too.

They do it in racing because it does allow better acceleration.....and they run WOT and only use the brakes to slow down.  The whole idea would change the Savage in a seriously negative way, I think.

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #2 - 11/11/05 at 12:51:51

I agree... lightening the flywheel is something you do on high-revving race bikes.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 11/11/05 at 13:42:00

Well, at least something with more cylinders to smooth out the rotation.  The big single with counterbalance is exactly that - a balancing act.  I'd sure hate to shave some weight just to watch the bike fly apart.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 11/11/05 at 16:01:43

this is what i think, if you want a hot rod, go buy a different bike. the savage is a lot of things, but a hot rod is not one of them.  i see the savage as the vw of the motorcycle world. yes some people have hot rodded a vw, but it's strength is it's durabality, and ease of maintance.   but hey it's your bike, do what ya want with it.   Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 11/12/05 at 20:25:07

When I was in MMI in the performance clinic we tried this - we removed the alternator rotor and dynoed the bike - 0 increase in the HP.  What the other guys mentioned is also true- Weight of the flywheel has a lot to do with the balancing the inertia of the piston.
 If You want to have 2 different Savages why don't You leave one bone stock and put Raask, pod filter, modify the carb or go with different carb, and change the looks of the other?
Or if You want to have something completely different, just buy another bike- R-6 or ZX636 or CBR600RR.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 11/14/05 at 08:12:48

Thanks folks.

This is why I ask.  At any rate, FYI, I don't want a ridiculously fast bike... just want to play with the savage... without ruining it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/14/05 at 09:02:53

Hey, the Savage is a fun bike to play with, and you do not have to worry about it turning into a rediculously fast bike either.

With about $1500, depending on your ebay  and other sourcing skills, you can transform the Savage into a really good street bike.
-Replace carb/filter
-performance cam
-a little intake/exhaust port grinding
-replace the header/muffler
-progressive rear shocks and fork springs and quality fork fluid.  
- oversize piston , bore the cylinder and get a silicone carbide treatment in it.   That reduces friction and as a result reduces engine heat and thereby makes  more power  available.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS...YOU CAN "FEEL" THE DIFFERENCE IN THE ENGINE.

With those changes the bike will get a significant power increase and will handle better than you could ever imagine...and it will not stress the bike/engine much at all, in fact it will feel great and want to run like crazy.

Doing these things just helps to maximize the efficiency of the Savage...transforming it into a BETTER Savage... it does not make it into a different bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:11:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another  idea for hot rodding the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.