Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
don't want to winterize (Read 14 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

don't want to winterize
11/09/05 at 09:29:05

if i just start the bike up once a week and move it around will that suffice ? I want to be able to take the savage out on those rare warm winter days up here in new england

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: don't want to winterize
Reply #1 - 11/09/05 at 09:33:20

I think if you let it sit for a week in the cold, it is probably a good idea to just start it up and let it run at idle for 10, 20 minutes.  At the very least, this will help keep the battery charged.  Although, it might not help much as our batteries tend to be lousy.

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #2 - 11/09/05 at 11:15:20

New England, eh? Is your garage heated?

If it's not, the water in the battery might freeze and that's NOT A GOOD THING.

Also, you really ought not to run the engine just a few times over the winter!

You'll just create condensation in the engine and combustion byproducts (acids, etc.) in the oil.

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 11/09/05 at 16:04:18

i live in central washington state, the winter here can get below zero degrees f.  i still ride though.

i've said it before, i dont winterize the machine, i winterize me.  machine doesnt know what season it is.

time to break out the colder wx gear.  

sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 11/09/05 at 16:28:11

If you are planning to get a ride in every few weeks don't worry about winterizing the bike. Even if it sits for two months the bike should be fine just be sure to keep the tank full to prevent moisture in the gas. A battery buddy is a big help for cold weather, helps keep the battery charged.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
cain9580
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/09/05 at 17:07:52

I had a bike mechanic tell me it is bad on the cylinders to let the bike idle for to long.  Any truth to this?

IP Logged
kikuchiyo
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/09/05 at 17:38:02

I also heard from the mechanic that gasoline goes "sour" and he recommended that I drain the tank if I do not use bike for a season. Any truth to that?

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/09/05 at 18:56:16

Speaking as a newbie from a cold weather Great Lakes state (Wisconsin), I'm intending on starting the Savage up about once a week in the garage or driveway.  And hoping to at least take a few neighborhood spins when there's no ice on the roads or a ton of salt.  There always seems to be a couple of mid-winter thaws here. I'll be ready.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 11/10/05 at 02:27:57

Here's my take ... from the cold North Atlantic, where most Riders do winterize their Bikes from Nov. to April ... as you are in New England, your winter season is very similar (albiet somewhat shorter ...) to here. The extent of winter storage prep., depends on where you plan on keeping your Bike. If you have a heated garage, than fuel stabilizer and a battery tender are all you really need, as storage temps above freezing will keep condensation out of the engine internals and keep the battery from freezing ... get a warm day, just unhook the tender and go for a Ride. If you have un-heated storage (like me) and temps regularly drop below freezing, then you may want to consider the "full meal deal" as far as prep goes. Details of a full winterization are covered elsewhere on this Message Board ... a search should take ya right to it!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 11/10/05 at 03:52:56

Being blessed with a gulf breeze in the winter cold does not happen much but on the subject of gasoline - burn it in under 3 months - as easy as the savage tank is to drain - pull one spring clip and pull the fuel hose off the carb - switch it to pri and drain it into a gas can and pour that in the car. I'd do that if the gas was 6 weeks old and put fresh back in the savage. If your going to use stabil or a simular product - it must be used when the gas is fresh it will not bring dead gas back - I go through this on  boats that sit - anyway if the world was frozen over from Nov to April I'd move!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/10/05 at 04:16:43

I learned about Stabil the hard way, by not using it. Stored my Honda Nighthawk for about 10 weeks, then it ran horribly. Sputtered to the dealer & had 4 carbs rebuilt. I ride through the year now but I put Stabil in my lawnmower every winter. Worked so far.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #11 - 11/14/05 at 13:29:00

Winterize; After Thanksgiving, Fill the tank at nearest station, pull battery, take inside.
1st 60+ day in March, trickle charge for 10-15 min, reinstall, ride.*

*If your name is Greg, between removing and reinstalling the battery, completely disassemble the bike and motor and then reassemble the bike while the battery is charging, be sure it has fully charged before cranking.  Grin Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:20:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › don't want to winterize

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.