Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Putting your savage down!?! (Read 5 times)
jbrough7
Ex Member

Putting your savage down!?!
11/03/05 at 16:12:05

I'm kinda new to this so maybe I shouldn't broach the topic..but , what the heck, maybe us newbies will learn something.

What do they say?  There are only two kinds of bike riders - those who have been down and those who will be down in the future--

I took a corner too quickly and was well into it before i saw  [glow=red,2,300]THE GRAVEL!! [/glow] sitting there on the pavement.  Don't know how it got there as that was my country trip to work and I felt like I could ride it in my sleep!

Went down quick  - scraped my hands  up a bit - clutch lever hit my helmet and not my eye! - but thank goodness for cordura and icon jeans - not much else...the suzi had a bit of a dent in her tank and a few scratches i sanded out...seemed like the footpegs took everything!

Anybody else wanna yak about this?

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Putting your savage down!?!
Reply #1 - 11/03/05 at 16:41:35

Had a bad experience with a gravelly corner on a bicycle as a kid. Eased on the front brake & hit the road so fast I didn't know what happened. Gravel is hard to see sometimes. Ever since I favor the rear brake when leaned over & the front for all else. I wouldn't ride a bike with a linked brake system. Crashed a lot on dirt bikes, twice on the street. One my fault, the other a cager's fault.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 11/03/05 at 17:35:31

theres another saying......"if u ride a motorcycle,your going to crash at least once,just depends how bad" Sad

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 11/03/05 at 18:13:12

i've put over 150,000 miles in the saddle, and have been down 6 times. some my fault, some others.

here's what i've gained from the experience

1. quit counting the near miss's.
2. sliding down the road is ok with good safety equipment.
3. sliding down the road and hitting something bad.
4. hitting cages  bad.

so it's the old adage,  it ain't the fall the will kill ya, it's the sudden stop at the end.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/03/05 at 22:41:58

I dumped my baby last year on gravel and broke her little turn signal, so to insure that didn't happen again, I bought some extras from Bassman. If you have spare parts you can pretty much guarantee that you won't need them. Grin
So far it's working, but I think I've pretty much pushed my luck with wrecks, 45 stitches in my face when I was 17, multiple scrapes and bruises until I bought my own bike. I trust my own driving much more than riding passenger. And so far, Knock on Wood, no injuries except to my pride and my turn signal.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Ryan G (RG)

Reply #5 - 11/04/05 at 02:18:15

I laid my Suzy down about 2 weeks after I bought it.  Yeah, suck.  I was starting my first day of college the next day, so I left it in my parents garage, still dusty and all, and didn't touch it for a month (oh yeah, it wouldn't start after I laid it down).  A month later I came back, hosed it off, and she started right up for me.  Guess she just wanted some love.  It was rideable at that point, but had a few problems.
    -Large dent in the tank (the handlebars came back, broke the stop and the triple tree dented the tank).
    -Broken mirror
    -Bent/broken footpeg
    -Broken headlight housing

It all turned out good for me though.  I ended up repainting the bike myself, and doing quite a few other things (if ya wanna see pics, go to the poster's picture gallery--I'm 21, Ryan G).  It turned into a great project that may not have happened without the wreck.  I wasn't hurt at all and the damage to my bike wasn't too bad.  Yes, I consider myself quite lucky.

-RG

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 11/04/05 at 06:04:17

I did a gravel high side spill two or three weeks after getting my savage. Didn't hurt the bike too much but landing on the asphalt destroyed my helmet and cracked three ribs, went in head first. Rode the bike home and didn't talk about it to the wife.  Sad Live and learn.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #7 - 11/04/05 at 06:13:22

Absolutely correct....you WILL hit the ground. I cringe when I see folks ridind in shorts, the woman on the back with flip-flops on. I bet they haven't hit the ground....YET.

I try to remember this when I saddle up. I always, always wear boots. Jeans are OK but if you go down with any kinda speed, they will be picking blue fiber outa your a$$ for a while. Leather jacket in winter, jean jacket in summer.
See? I do remember.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/04/05 at 08:25:54

My hubby always teases me and says he's going to put a sticker on my gas tank with "This Side Up" on it. He's only seen me  go down once, back in 1977. Misjudged a turn and slid up on a curb right up to a chain link fence. Wouldn't you know it was the home of one of his ex-girlfriends! Pride was sorely offended by her smirk. Bike was fine, but if I should dump it now, won't tell him.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/04/05 at 08:39:50

wrecked tons of dirtbikes but not the savage YET ive had it about two months a couple close calls but no bologne have misjudged a turn and bounced off a curb and twisted my ankle cause i put my foot down and wobbled all over the road but kept it up that was the closest been cut off and almost been hit or hit a couple of cages

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 11/05/05 at 01:34:27

I dropped my first bike (RD125LC,2 weeks old) while showing off to a girl. I spun the back up on a gravel footpath then hit the front brake to stop and instantly went down, scratched front mudguard, brake lever and pride.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 11/05/05 at 06:43:05

Here is a summary of my 39 years of "Live to Fall".  I'll just mention street bikes since falling is a given when riding offroad Smiley

I laid this bike down under the rear bumper of a school bus when I was young, dumb, and full of myself at 16.  I later got hit by a car and my Dad sold the bike.

I flipped this bike a few times at highway speed when pulling off the roadway into the gravel shoulder after I dropped a glass bottle of Coke on the tank and freaked....had to haul it home in the trunk of a car for repairs and get a few stitches.

I dropped this bike while making a u-turn when I was stoned and drunk riding home from an all day outdoor rock concert....made it to a motel.  I think it was a good concert too.

I also ran straight off the road in a curve when I was drunk a few years later....still drove it home.

And finally (using an older stock photo), I laid this bike down passing a pickup on a windy country road at about 35.  I was stone sober, but wasn't watching for some slippery old leaves as I leaned into a curve.  Went to a bar, had a beer, and went back home to heal my pride and start repairs.  That was 5 years ago, so maybe I finally learned.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 11/06/05 at 18:27:24

dropped my rd350 @ 15 years ago.  paving a town road, the higher freshly paved lane properly  set off by barrels, only no one directing traffic.  I started at one end, a car at the other. Since I had crossed into the left (usable lane) i thought i should get outta the way. I learned if you must get up onto a higher lane, go for as close to 90 degree approach, my 30 degree meant instand drop, sore ankle, bent bars. thankfully only going about 20 mph Smiley

IP Logged
WavJamR
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/11/05 at 22:41:53

It's one of those things.  When the bike's all shiny and new we're over protective.  We might even spend more time waxing it then riding it.   One we gotten over the scratching and denting part, then the real riding begins  Smiley

I could see this in a movie: Guy/Gal buys new bike.  The first thing he/she does once the dealer wheels it out the door, is to drop it on the asphalt (on purpose).  Just to get that part out of the way and not have to worry about it.

Keep it in perspective. If you drop the bike in the garage, it's not a big deal although your not happy about it.   However, if you 'touch down' while in motion, that's much more serious. Try to prevent a repeat, review the series of events leading to the incident.  What steps could you have taken to prevent it.  Watch for those warnings signs in the future.  ( okay, I'll get off the soap box)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:36:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Putting your savage down!?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.