Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
and another newbie question (Read 2 times)
kikuchiyo
Ex Member

and another newbie question
10/30/05 at 22:26:03

After a week of standing still Savage took its time starting up. Which means she/he will do it again when  really cold weather will come in. Can Savage be push started?!If yes what is the correct protocol? (I base the following on my knowledge of push starting the rented Peugeot 205 in Morocco years ago.)

1. put in 2nd gear;
2. turn the ignition key
3. push/run Savage from the hill
4. release the clutch as I push the starter?
5.??

(Here is the question! on one hand, the clutch has to be pressed  in orger for the bike to start up. On the other hand, the clutch has to be released (at the same instance) to be engaged into gear). So is this possible?
Thank you!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: and another newbie question
Reply #1 - 10/30/05 at 22:46:16

third or 4th works well,  i've done it on several occasions.  pain in the butt though.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ryan G (RG)

Reply #2 - 10/30/05 at 22:55:07

I, unfortunately, had to push start my Savage many times.  I did it in 2nd every time, though a higher gear may have been easier.  Yeah, it's a pain in the butt (you've got to run pretty hard, in other words because of that stinkin big cylinder) but it's plenty do-able.  No, you don't need to push the start button when you're doing it.  The battery's dead, so the start button doesn't do anything anyway; it's the turning over of the engine that gets the engine to start.

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #3 - 10/30/05 at 23:12:34

What he said!

As masochistic as this sounds, I would recommend trying it sometime when it's not an emergency situation.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/30/05 at 23:31:47

try charging the battery Smiley

even if u get it push-started it prob wont recharge tha battery enough unless its a really long ride.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/31/05 at 01:24:39

One big thing i noticed is that it'll only push start for me if I roll it backwards till it won't go any further - tdc!  this is very important!

Also, the sun has to be shining and i have to have five layers of clothing on....then she starts!

Good Luck!

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/31/05 at 02:48:03

Yes, roll it back as mentioned while in second.  If you can be on a grippier surface it helps so the wheel doesn't lock up as easy.  You will want to run as fast as you can with it then hop on, stand on the pegs, then drop down on the seat hard just as you release the clutch so that you don't lock up the rear wheel.  Give it a little gas or it will probably die right away.  No need to do whatever you were talking about with the starter.  Just make sure you have the key switched to run and the kill switch off!

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/31/05 at 02:54:00

I forgot about the grippier surface...good point!  I tried a million times (slight exaggeration) on my gravel drive and then first time out on the concrete sidewalk she fired right up!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/31/05 at 05:31:25

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/31/05 at 09:51:39

Amen to the Battery Tender. I remember running to start bikes in the 60's and it was not fun. Now I'm too old and fat to do that. I bought a Battery TenderPlus for all the bikes in the family(6) for Christmas last year and haven't regretted it for a minute. (Except when I wrote the check!)

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › and another newbie question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.