Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with questions (Read 2 times)
Ooh_S40_Shiney
Ex Member

Newbie with questions
10/30/05 at 01:00:53

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, and in fact I'm new to motorcycling.  I took the MSF in June and bought my 2005 S40 the same week - I'm hooked ! Grin

I've owned the bike ~ 5 months and put ~7k miles already!

I'm looking to give the bike some real bite.  I've purchased a H-D Screamin' Eagle exhaust and a performance Mikuni kit w/K&N from Lancer on E-Bay.
I've heard nightmares about carb tuning, so my question is this:
Could anyone with this carb/similar exhaust give me insight how you have it jetted ?  Pilot? Needle? Jet Needle? Main?  I would love to start where others have already found success rather than start from scratch.  I've searched this forum for hours, but can't find the right info.  Undecided

I will install the carb/intake/exhaust at one time so I won't have to keep re-jetting as I add... Any help is greatly appreciated.

One more thing - this site rocks, and you guys are awesome, I've learned tons by reading the past topics!  Keep posting and we'll keep growing...

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Re: Newbie with questions
Reply #1 - 10/30/05 at 02:16:51

One thing you definitely know - there are guys and gals on this site that know a ton and then there are people like me!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/30/05 at 05:36:56

Buy a service manual and check the Technical Corner.

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/31/05 at 03:12:37

Make sure you set the search back more than 7 days and you should be able to find plenty.  I don't know why they have it set up like that.  I'd probably go with a 155 main, shave the white spacer a little less than half, and up your pilot a size or two.  Adjust idle mixture as needed.  Make sure to replace those screws with stainless allens while you have them apart.

BTW, I have a similar if not exactly the same setup.  157.5 in now but I think it is to much.  I have never got around to changing my pilot and it really runs fine.  Just some occasional backfires when I come off very light throttle makes me think it could be bigger.  That opposed to the stock setup where I would get frequent large back fires rolling off hard throttle.

Good luck and get that service manual as suggested.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 10/31/05 at 08:25:04

Lancers kit is a different model carb than the stock Mikuni s40 these jet recomendations are for. I would think he has a recomended starting place.

The best way is going to take plug/chop/read method,  and several cheap spark plugs - like a 6 pack of the Champions.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/31/05 at 08:57:05

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Lancers kit is a different model carb than the stock Mikuni s40 these jet recomendations are for. I would think he has a recomended starting place.

The best way is going to take plug/chop/read method,  and several cheap spark plugs - like a 6 pack of the Champions.  

Ahh, I missed the fact that he bought a different carb.  That said, I removed my previous post.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/31/05 at 13:04:22

No fair, remove mine to.  Good luck with that carb.  Everyone who has one says they are great, but that's not a lot of people.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.