Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got a 'Feel Good' Savage Story? Fessup! (Read 10 times)
jbrough7
Ex Member

Got a 'Feel Good' Savage Story? Fessup!
10/23/05 at 17:27:15

We've all got at least one; good time to hear them just before we go back to the Monday morning blahs!!  Best story gets a free litre of used 10w40 oil!!

I'll start..

Every day I get home before my daughter gets off school so I used to walk down and walk her back.  Noticed she always came out by herself and she rarely talked to other kids.  I asked her about this and she tells me who the popular kids are in her class but she doesn't mind that she's not one of them.  She says she doesn't dress prettily enough (she's a real tomboy) and she doesn't know all the new sayings or games or what have you...sure pulls on the heart strings to hear your little one say that.  I know trying to be the most popular sucks but she should at least have SOME friends, you would think.

Then I get the Savage and take it and her little helmet down to the school each day.  Suddenly, the kids are swarming around the bike..."Cool bike, mister!"  "I love your helmet!"  "Is it a Harley, mister?? (No, kid, it's better than a harley;  it's a SAVAGE!!).  

MY kid comes out and proudly runs over and grabs her helmet and puts it on...all the other kids are calling to her and she yaks furiously with them and tells them what it's like to ride on a bike everyday...suddenly she's very popular, has friends over all the time and gets along well with them.  We owe it all to the Savage, at least as an ice-breaker.

Now if I can just get her to stop with the humungous waves to her friends which just about topple us over as we pull out of the school parking lot! Grin Grin

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Re: Got a 'Feel Good' Savage Story? Fessup!
Reply #1 - 10/23/05 at 17:44:22

I've got some feel bad stories, usually starting with "What is that, a 125cc?" ???

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/23/05 at 17:50:20

Hey, K. -you made me laugh heartily... please refer to my other posting!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/23/05 at 18:03:11

Heh, just this past Friday I was strapping down some stuff in a store parking lot and a guy came up and asked the "What is is it?" question... but you could see it was laced with nostalgia.  He said he would have never guessed it was a Suzuki.  He saw the thumper and began to reminisce about old Nortons and Triumphs - specifically a '67 Triumph he once owned.  It seemed like it brightened his day a bit just to revisit those memories.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #4 - 10/23/05 at 18:22:16

Kaishaku wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I've got some feel bad stories, usually starting with "What is that, a 125cc?" ???

a similar thing happend to me,the other guy had a 250 rebel,he said is that a 250? i said care to find out?we said lets do it to the next stoplight,i got there awhile before he did, even after a smokey burnout.when he cought up,he said "i guess its not a 250",i told him it was a 650 single ,he laughed and said"no really what is it,i no u beat me but not buy that much".after he left i was pissed that the bike dosent have more power but too bad i guess!im just glad that my dad lets me ride his 1200 sportster when ever i want,nobody trys to start anything when your on a harley,like my dad says "when you drive a harley you have nothing to prove"

but it was cool to whip up on the 250,even though i had 400cc more Undecided

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/23/05 at 19:10:37

I sat on a sporster 883 (is that right?) the other day and jeez, it felt tiny...just a bit bigger than my savage, but not by much!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/23/05 at 19:15:33

The best time I've had on my S40 was last year on a charity ride. Road about 160 miles that day, single file in a group that stretched out nearly a mile. Mostly Harleys but no problem at all keeping up. Actually I wanted to go faster. Had a blast though! Legs got sore from holding my knees out of the wind & my back was sore but it felt great to be out in the country riding with fellow riders. This year's ride was 400 miles though, so I had to pass. Had the back wheel & muffler off anyway.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/23/05 at 19:24:07

jbrough7 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I sat on a sporster 883 (is that right?) the other day and jeez, it felt tiny...just a bit bigger than my savage, but not by much!

They are small. I sat one one at a Nokia promo at the Texas State Fair & they took pictures of people & gave them Nokia brochures. Anyway, (to make a short story long) I looked at the picture of me sitting on that Sportster & it looked like a scooter! I thought they were bigger! (& I thought I was thinner Undecided)Felt OK though. I was amazed at how skinny it felt, like a supermotard with a lower seat.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/23/05 at 19:35:59

Oh, man.  Just buying it was a feel good story.

This past February, I was looking for a bike to learn on.  Everything I'd read was "start on a used beater bike."  I had seen the S40 at a bike show in January and liked it, but when I came home and looked up info about it, I found out the S40 was the new, renamed Savage; I like the S40 better (no offense, everyone Shocked ), and I knew finding a used 2005 S40 in February of 2005 was going to be impossible.  Nothing in Cycle Trader or any classifeds; just for fun I Googled "used Boulevard S40", and got only two hits -- one in Missouri and one in California.  (I'm in Georgia.)

So I decided I'd just get a Rebel.  A dealership about an hour from me had a used one, and I wanted to go there one Saturday to check it out, but hubby (who knew more about bikes) had to work that day, and didn't feel like making the drive.  So as a compromise he said he'd meet me at another dealership about 1/2 hour away when he got off work, and we could see if they had any Rebels.  

So I get there, and out in the parking lot with the rest of their used bikes is a white S40 with 841 miles on the odometer.  Shocked Grin

Granted, my used bike isn't a beater, but hey, between the price drop and the 600 mile service having already been done, I saved about $1,000. Grin

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/24/05 at 02:45:00

Sounds like you got a deal.  

I picked up a beater - an '88 still running good for $800 but then it cost almost that much to get it certified!  I had to sit down and take a deep breath...then I was worried I had put that much into an old clunker...but the bike has been great and almost totally trouble free.  It's been great to learn on, as well, with the light weight and, shall we say, safe, performance.

You mention compromise and your husband in the same sentence.  Boy, isn't that life?  I'm starting to think marriage is like a sunroof on a car - it's not really a convertible but it's still pretty cool!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 10/24/05 at 03:29:11

Karen that "pearl white" on your S40 (great deal BTW ... congrats) is one of the best lookin' colours Suzuki ever put to the LS650!
Well my "Savage story" is kinda sad-funny ... actually more funny in hindsight than at the time ... it was May '04 and parent's nite at my daughter's Jr. High and our Mexican exchange student's High School and since it was a beautifu evening, I decided to follow the females in the car on my LS ... took a spin to the gas station for a fill up before departure ... was pulling up to the curb in front of my house and instead of thinking about the dismount, I was thinking I needed my sunglasses which I had forgotten ... shut the Bike down with the kill-switch and proceeded to get off, when all of a sudden the Bike felt real heavy? Dang ... forgot the kickstand!! At that opportune moment, my bung L3 lumbar decided it didn't like the extra weight and over we go to the pavement. In a split, I was on the ground, with the Savage on top of me and my back out ... I couldn't move! Hear a neighbour calling out, "Perry you all right!" and him hauling me to my feet ... look over to see the Savage upright? "How'd that get there?", I ask (all the while in excruchiating pain ...). My pal says, "Maxx lifted it off you!". Apparently my wife had seen the whole episode from the livingroom window and had rushed out and pulled the Bike off within a few seconds of seeing me go over ... now Maxx, my better half, is all of 5'-0" ... how she lifted 350lbs of Savage off of her "embarassed husband" is beyond me ... I'd never be able to lift the thing from the ground! My Riding pals have never let me forget that one!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/24/05 at 08:08:52

Good one!  The same thing happened to me once - I pulled into a restaurant parking lot after a really good run - feeling great on the bike - and all these people are sitting there outside looking at me.  Don't know if I was going a bit too slow or what but when I was trying to park the sucka , it just kinda started to topple over!  Heckuva time pulling it up and was real embarrassed but the only thing hurt was my ego, i think.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #12 - 10/24/05 at 19:50:11

I love it when riders (especially HD's) look over and have that puzzle look on their face and could not figure out what the h@ll is this thing next to me. And they have that smurky look on their face as to say "You only have a single!" But that look turn into a pi$$ off look when I can haul a$$ as quick as they are from the stop light and cut through corner like butter. What a great feeling especially when I pay 1/3 of the price of their. I ride to enjoy life not to show off my bike or my money Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 10/24/05 at 21:32:16

While I really loved my bike, watching my stepson learn to ride on it was great. Better than riding it myself. And I don't think we've ever been closer than when we took our first ride after I gave it to him. I rode Lisa's Intruder 17 miles to work that day. Rob and his room mate rode their bikes (Savage and SV650) about 400 miles that day.

Lisa and I rode the Savage 2 up from LongBeach MS to Baton Rouge LA the first weekend I had the bike. All of our SCA friends ended up riding pillion that weekend.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/25/05 at 03:01:25

WD:  If I marry another one of your daughters, will you give me a savage, too?  I can be a good boy when I want to be!

MY father-in-law spends all his time telling me how useless canadians are, not like people in the old country (England)...funny how this useless canadian is the guy that takes out his garbage, mows his lawn, looks after his car and generally does everything for him! Angry Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 06:01:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got a 'Feel Good' Savage Story? Fessup!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.