Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How are you on corners?? (Read 12 times)
jbrough7
Ex Member

How are you on corners??
10/21/05 at 17:18:24

I'm right handed.  I love taking left corners but I kinda suck at right corners.  Anybody else notice a difference (and please no jokes about masturb-t-on!!)

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: How are you on corners??
Reply #1 - 10/21/05 at 17:36:28

I'm left-handed but if I'm really pushing the limit I'm a little more comfortable on left turns. Don't know why but could be from the vacant lot mini-bike track I rode on as a kid. We all went counterclockwise for some reason, maybe from watching the Indy 550 or something.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/21/05 at 17:54:07

I'm a lefty but I seem to favor making right turns as far as being comfortable leaning really deep into the turn. I've been riding since I was 10 or 12 so I feel that I am a skilled rider (and by no means do I claim to be anything other than an " experienced novice " @ 25  if that makes sense") but I kinda know what you mean by favoring one side to the other. But like they say Practice Makes Perfect .

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 10/21/05 at 18:02:35

jbrough7 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 I love taking left corners but I kinda suck at right corners.

That's a normal phenomenon. With more ride time, right turns will be just as natural

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Conway
2005 No Login

Reply #4 - 10/21/05 at 19:18:07

Hey, if you know how to turn left you could have a career in Nascar!
 Grin

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/21/05 at 19:43:19

Yeah, when I give people directtions to my house they just end up going in circles but they do finally arrive!

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/22/05 at 00:38:49

Since I took the Rider's course, everytime I head into a corner, I hear the instructor's voice saying " head and eyes".  Try turning your head in the direction you plan to go and looking into the turn. Sounds dumb, but it works, I've made turns that I was sure were going to dump me with this method. My daughter & I also love to find a clear section of road and weave the white lines, that helps also, but we're in the country so don't have to worry about traffic. Our favorite rides are twisties and some of them have deep right and left turns, just keep practicing.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/22/05 at 02:17:14

It's just like anything else, practise makes perfect, I guess.  I really believe corners are THE reason to ride a bike.  Every single one is different and it's a real buzz to get through each one at speed.  I'm sure not a racer, though.  My nephew scrapes his pegs a lot, and I've never done it once.  I imagine if I saw myself in action, I'd think, "Look at that old guy dawdling along!" but it seems fast at the time.

I read where something like 35% of  motorcycle accidents occur on corners and it's just the bike itself, with no cages around.  Either the person was simply going too fast or he braked too late.

Also read that most accidents with bikes and cages occur at an intersection where the biker is going straight through and a car is turning left at the lights in from of him and doesn't see him.

I take country roads to work and sometimes only see three cars in 25 minutes.  One time, I was coming up to an intersection where the crossroad had the stop sign and I could see an old farmer in his pickup just moseying right along...could tell he was going to run the stop sign and sure enough he did, didn't even look left or right.  I had to jam on the brakes but I stopped in time.  If I had barely noticed him and assumed he was going to stop, my wife would have already collected on our life insurance!

Anyway, now I approach every single intersection as if the guy does not see me as me and the suzi have some sort of invisible cloak on! Angry
Come to think of it, I wonder if she hired the guy!@#@!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/22/05 at 07:59:25

I'm right handed.  I love taking left corners but I kinda suck at right corners.  Anybody else notice a difference (and please no jokes about masturb-t-on!!)

It is the same for me and I'm right handed.  I find right turns to be more difficult because I can't see as far ahead while I'm looking for that loose gravel in the road.  On the other hand, the left turns offer a better view, but if there is a crown in the road, I tend to drag the left peg more.  Gotta make sure not to hang my head over the center line, too...never know when a cager is taking a wide right hand turn from the other direction.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/22/05 at 15:36:42

I've never dragged a peg (or pegged a drag!).  Is it quite a shock to the bike or is it no big deal?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 10/22/05 at 15:56:22

Might wake you up the first time - sorta grinds and knocks your foot up a bit if it's a direct hit, as in gun it, lean it hard and bang hit it.  If you slow lean over and just rub it not much happens.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/22/05 at 16:15:56

Worst thing I've ever done (i'm new at this) was not pay attention and then when I did see the brake lights in front of me, I hit my back brake without thinking.  She locked up and I had time to think, "She's going down and I am going to die."  But it really wasn't that bad.  Had to pull off for a smoke and to settle my heart down, though! Shocked

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 10/22/05 at 17:35:27

dam good,  with enough miles under your belt the machine will become part of your body. your movements will be fluid, and when a scary moment happens you will just react and ride on.  it's a wonderfull feeling.  as i said it will come, just need lots of time in the saddle.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 10/22/05 at 19:33:20

Worst thing I've ever done (i'm new at this) was not pay attention and then when I did see the brake lights in front of me, I hit my back brake without thinking.  She locked up and I had time to think, "She's going down and I am going to die."  But it really wasn't that bad.  Had to pull off for a smoke and to settle my heart down, though! Shocked

Wheww!! I had a couple of those moments too Shocked I learned to prepare when ever I'm getting close to that stale green I just cover my front brake and get ready for the YELLOW. If I think that the bike will not stop completely by the time I got there, I gun the throttle and go right on through(just make sure that no car on the opposite traffic is waiting to turn left--it can be ugly if we both go for that YELLOW light)
I guess that is why in MSF class, they say you need 100% of attention when riding.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/23/05 at 00:59:53

Yeah, but then a pretty seat cover walks by and whaddaya gonna do?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 14:13:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How are you on corners??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.