Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shifting up to second (Read 13 times)
Dan
Ex Member

shifting up to second
10/13/05 at 18:02:33

Probably once every 5-7 times I shift up from first, it doesn't go all the way to second.  It stops goes to neutral and then I can shift up (no problem) to second from there.

Is there anything that I can do about this or is this a common problem (I hope not).  

With the new Amal carb and new pipe, I don't want to get to a stoplight next to another bike and pull out quick only to be stuck shifting up from neutral as the bike behind me flys by... Sad

Any insight?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: shifting up to second
Reply #1 - 10/13/05 at 18:06:28

Dan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Probably once every 5-7 times I shift up from first, it doesn't go all the way to second.  It stops goes to neutral and then I can shift up (no problem) to second from there.

Is there anything that I can do about this or is this a common problem (I hope not).  

With the new Amal carb and new pipe, I don't want to get to a stoplight next to another bike and pull out quick only to be stuck shifting up from neutral as the bike behind me flys by... Sad

Any insight?

i get that every now and then. i just make sure i hold foot to shifter.  

your right it is embarassing.  Embarrassed

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/13/05 at 23:13:38

When I first got mine I did that numerous times. I think it's more operator error than mechanical.. I did it in the middleof a  pack of H.D riders that I did'nt know ...talk about embarassing!

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/13/05 at 23:54:07

I think its a common problem.  Always gets me too, body  keeps going forward, but the bike doesn't go anywhere.

IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #4 - 10/13/05 at 23:58:51

I notice it especially when I am wearing a different shoe than normal, for instance, I was riding my bike to work and that was about it for quite a while.  At work we are required to wear steel toes, then I wore my normal riding boots, and I kept not pulling up on the shifter far enough, very embarrassing especially when I am riding with friends.

--2004 Silver Suzuki Savage--Lukas
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 10/14/05 at 01:45:40

My way:
Positively lift the shifter, don't "throw"the shifter pedal.

But it happens to me once in a while.  Embarrassed

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/14/05 at 08:48:23

Because of the shifter throw from 1st-Nuetral-2nd, I found that if your linkage is a little out of adjustment, you can have this problem.  Check your pedal to be sure that it isn't bumping something before going all the way into gear.

IP Logged
Dan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/14/05 at 16:06:50

Seems this is a common problem.  I am glad, cuz it certainly is embarrassing when it happens.  

I can see it being a rider error thing, but will certainly check the linkage (in the off chance that it isn't my fault. Smiley)

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 10/14/05 at 20:17:07

Had some of that embarrasing moments too Undecided I did not lift the shifter up high enough Grin So I always follow through with the shifter until my foot can't go up any further.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 10/15/05 at 08:56:34

Yes I agree - it is more of an operator's mistake. It has happened to me couple of times, especially when I am not paying attention. Now when I am thinking it happens when I am hurrying up to shift in second and I let off the clutch a little too early, combined with not enough "positive lift" on the shifter.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 10/15/05 at 09:26:51

Yep, the fact is that the Savage is a bit clunky in the shifting department and the only way to minimize the embarassing times is to PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE shifting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 09:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifting up to second

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.