Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
motor dies when I hit a bump, blows a fuse (Read 4 times)
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
motor dies when I hit a bump, blows a fuse
10/12/05 at 20:44:14

Please, help me out! The last 2 rides it dies after I hit a sharp bump or dip (like at a bridge where the pavement doesn't match). It will restart after about 2 seconds as I keep rolling but then repeat at the next bump. It runs and the turn signals work till I shut it off but then there is nothing. The top fuse is blown. With a new fuse, it works fine again until I hit another bump too hard. This happens at about 60 mph, it's a 2004 with about 5400 miles. I'm thinking something is shorting out so I'll check where I put the saddlebags on with their own turn signals. It's intermitant which I know is the worst to try to track down. I need to get a Clymer manual too. I hope it's not under the tank, but I guess I'll have to learn how that comes off too. Unlike some of you, I bought it to RIDE, not to work on!  Smiley

Any tips on where to look, what it might be?
Thanks in advance.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: motor dies when I hit a bump, blows a fuse
Reply #1 - 10/12/05 at 21:18:06

short round wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Please, help me out! The last 2 rides it dies after I hit a sharp bump or dip (like at a bridge where the pavement doesn't match). It will restart after about 2 seconds as I keep rolling but then repeat at the next bump. It runs and the turn signals work till I shut it off but then there is nothing. The top fuse is blown. With a new fuse, it works fine again until I hit another bump too hard. This happens at about 60 mph, it's a 2004 with about 5400 miles. I'm thinking something is shorting out so I'll check where I put the saddlebags on with their own turn signals. It's intermitant which I know is the worst to try to track down. I need to get a Clymer manual too. I hope it's not under the tank, but I guess I'll have to learn how that comes off too. Unlike some of you, I bought it to RIDE, not to work on!  Smiley

Any tips on where to look, what it might be?
Thanks in advance.

sounds like a short to me. check all the connections under the seat as a starting point.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 10/13/05 at 20:05:09

hi- i haven't checked out the fuses yet, what do you mean by the top fuse.  Normally, i think the short is, on a wiring diagram, distant to the blown fuse..what was not working after the fuse was blown??

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #3 - 10/13/05 at 21:31:25

By top, I meant as the two fuses are mounted in the housing that holds them. I have to get a manual that will help show what is connected to that fuse. When I shut it off after it happens, nothing works - no lights, no starter, etc. Thanks for the inquiry.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 10/13/05 at 22:52:21

Re: motor dies when I hit a bump

quit hitting bumps  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 10/13/05 at 23:28:32

By top, I meant as the two fuses are mounted in the housing that holds them. I have to get a manual that will help show what is connected to that fuse. When I shut it off after it happens, nothing works - no lights, no starter, etc. Thanks for the inquiry.

If you look over the wire diagram you'll see that fuse goes just about everywhere - as an fyi when it started blowing that fuse it turn out I had pinched a wire under the tank going to the turn signal flasher/relay and fried it , I since cleaned up the wires a bit a spiral loom and replace the flasher - blow the fuse every time I gave a signal.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 10/13/05 at 23:32:04

I'm thinking something is shorting out so I'll check where I put the saddlebags on with their own turn signals.  

Man I'd sure start at the add on lights

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 10/14/05 at 01:57:55

You defenetly have a short somewhere.
Start looking under the seat . Check the wiring of the turnsignals you unstalled. I would also check inside the headlight( happened to me)

Greetz
kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/14/05 at 06:22:00

I hope it's not under the tank, but I guess I'll have to learn how that comes off too. Unlike some of you, I bought it to RIDE, not to work on!  Smiley

Well, if I didn't see it easily either under the seat (also, check under the pillion if you have one) or the rear fender, the tank would come off quickly.  That where one of the more common loose connector problems resides.  At least from reading others' posts, that is.  Personally, that connector has always been a real b1tch for me to disconnect when removing the tank.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #9 - 10/14/05 at 16:35:58

Thanks for all the replies, gives me places to look although I was afraid it could be in a lot of places. I did happen to realize it started after I had the stealership do the valve adjust so I'm thinking under the tank. The saddlebags had been on for over a year without problem and nothing changed except the visit to "bubba" at the dealer.  It sat for several weeks after the valve adjust so I didn't make the connection right away. It may be awhile before I get to work on it with other things going on.

Sluggo, I can't miss all the bumps, that's how I keep my back "adjusted."  Grin

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 10/15/05 at 23:36:50

When mine did that, I had misrouted the wires to the front signal when I replaced the front fork seals. They got pinched in the sterring stop, would blow the fuse when I backed it into a parking spot, then would do nothing when I came out of whereever I had been. Took a while to find it, but I took the fork back out and put the wires back where they belonged. Haven't popped fuse yet. Under tank is a logical place to start.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
bikerbebop
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/14/05 at 16:16:40

I just got done with a nightmare with my electrical system.     My ignition switch shorted out, causing my main wiring harness to completely fry.  I pulled in, turned off the bike, it still ran, pull out the key, still ran, pulled out both fuses........STILL RAN!  finally I smelled something burn and if finally died, I had to get a new wiring harness, I had to replace the wire leading to the magnetic sensor, replace the coils, sparkplug,  and the ignitor.   Finally I am to the point where I can drive it and not feel like I am going to get stranded.  but it all started with the ignition switch.  the wires leading out of it shorted out in the rain, they rubbed together so much it caused the insulation to run through.   I would look at that first.  That's where mine started.  
Mine started out popping fused the same way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:26:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › motor dies when I hit a bump, blows a fuse

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.