Send Topic Print
$200.00 oil change!!! (Read 25 times)
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
$200.00 oil change!!!
10/12/05 at 06:46:32

Well, I just picked up my S40 yesterday from the dealership.

I had taken it in for its 600 mile service.

Total bill: $223.00  Shocked

Factors in the shop's favor:

This service did include a valve adjustment.

Also, they damaged my gas tank in the process, scraping off a bit of the paint in two places. I don't think I would have noticed these scratches, but the service manager said they were more than superficial scratches, and went through at least one layer of paint.

So, they have ordered a new tank and will swap it for the current one when it comes in next week!

I give the shop kudos for owning up to the damage they did, especially since I could have very easily ridden off without noticing the scratches.

Still, I'm glad I bought a bike with easy maintenance, 'coz that's the last time I'm gonna pay $200 for an oil change!

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Re: $200.00 oil change!!!
Reply #1 - 10/12/05 at 08:32:57

I know if I tried to do a valve adjustment it would take me all day (although, at my current pay rate, that's still not $200 worth of my time, but sure as hell may be $200 worth of frustration).

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 10/12/05 at 08:35:52

well, you may have found a reputable, though expensive, dealership, or at least the service dept. Smiley

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #3 - 10/12/05 at 08:38:22

That's about what my 600 mile service cost.

They did say it was mainly because of the valve adjustment check ... but it sounded suspicious to me at the time.

I didn't buy the bike at that dealership .. I bought it out of state at a salvage house (had to replace some parts .. still saved a bunch .. it was an 04 with LESS THAN 100 MILES on it )

Richard in Boston, MA, USa

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/12/05 at 08:49:49

The adjustment isn't that difficult but I d@mn sure wish I had smaller fingers.  It would be a piece of cake if the engine wasn't mounted in the frame.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Commando_Al
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/12/05 at 10:26:15

Bike service is obcenely overpriced nowadays. My 97 triumph routinely costs $200+ when I have service done. Unfortunately, when you know how low the markup is on new bikes, you realize that they have to make money on service, parts and clothing.

What irritates me more is when the work is incompetent. I had a 750 Katana with worn-out carbs that I took to MONTGOMERYVILLE CYCLE CENTER IN MONTGOMERYVILLE, PA. Three visits, $360 and a sit-down with the owner later finally yielded a promise to re-jet. Afterward, the bike still didn't run right, so I took it apart and found that MONTGOMERYVILLE CYCLE CENTER IN MONTGOMERYVILLE, PA hadn't replaced anything. I've heard similar horror stories (some worse) from others who have had work done there.

Rather than continue fighting with them, I bought a jet kit for $100 from Dennis Kirk and did it myself. All I can do now is share the story of my experience with MONTGOMERYVILLE CYCLE CENTER IN MONTGOMERYVILLE, PA.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 10/12/05 at 11:27:29

I've had simular experiences at Montgomery Cycle, got billed double for a part, never took anything in for work there, figured I could screw it up as well as the next person for free. Moved down to Daytona Florida  area so I can't use them again if I wanted to. Still looking for a good repair shop down here, mostly V twins shops in the area. Angry

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 10/12/05 at 12:22:40

Commando_Al wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Bike service is obcenely overpriced nowadays.

I paid $550 for a 20K service on my Beemer in 2003.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 10/12/05 at 12:36:42

Commando_Al wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What irritates me more is when the work is incompetent. I had a 750 Katana with worn-out carbs that I took to MONTGOMERYVILLE CYCLE CENTER IN MONTGOMERYVILLE, PA. Three visits, $360 and a sit-down with the owner later finally yielded a promise to re-jet. Afterward, the bike still didn't run right, so I took it apart and found that MONTGOMERYVILLE CYCLE CENTER IN MONTGOMERYVILLE, PA hadn't replaced anything. I've heard similar horror stories (some worse) from others who have had work done there.

Rather than continue fighting with them, I bought a jet kit for $100 from Dennis Kirk and did it myself. All I can do now is share the story of my experience with MONTGOMERYVILLE CYCLE CENTER IN MONTGOMERYVILLE, PA.

Hey Al,
Your stealership is running your pony around the ring while charging you admission to the circus. You have to let them know you are not happy and are not coming back.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/12/05 at 13:10:25

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
You have to let them know you are not happy and are not coming back.

AND that you are telling anyone you know about your experience with them.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/12/05 at 13:12:16

If I remember correctly, my 600 mile service was about $295 last year. Next time I'll adjust the valves myself, mainly just to know that it was done.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 10/12/05 at 15:36:29

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If I remember correctly, my 600 mile service was about $295 last year. Next time I'll adjust the valves myself, mainly just to know that it was done.

The cost is nuts with all types of dealers so far as I can - but not doing the work claimed or requested really gets me p.o'd - and your right if your not standing there to watch a valve adjust done how do you know they did it - took me a couple hours last time but I'm sure it got done.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 10/12/05 at 15:36:30

Tammi- a timely note- thanks.. it happens I stopped by the local dealership in Auburn mass, was told its 3 hrs labor, and that that plus parts brings it up to $225.(estimated).  They have to let the bike cool down to room temp for the valve adjustment..so i don't think I'll hang around and watch the work.  Like most newbies, I'll have them do the first round and then start learning a do it yourself maintenance routine.  OH well, we must all chip in and help the economy Wink

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 10/12/05 at 16:38:19

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 They have to let the bike cool down to room temp for the valve adjustment..so i don't think I'll hang around and watch the work)

That is a good point to remember when adjusting your own valves. At the very least let the bike sit overnight before checking clearances to allow the expanded metal to return to its cast state. It is not so critical with our Savage's nut and screw tappets with the relative wide clearance factor, but with shim over/under bucket style it is an absolute must because of the tight clearance requirements. To give you an idea behind this theory a gearhead from another site I frequent tore into his engine directly following a long high speed run. Oh yeah, it was hot and he burned his fingers a bit, but with quality machinists feeler gauges with minuscule increments he began measuring his valve clearance. He posted his results every two hours and as expected the clearance values increased. I have forgotten how long it took until the values remained constant but I think it was around 16 hours.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 10/12/05 at 19:09:44

Nice safety tip Egon.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 07:44:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $200.00 oil change!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.