PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Brake Pads: the Sequel
09/28/05 at 14:24:20

Well after learning that my front brake pads are just about toast after only 5000km (3100mi) of mostly light use, I decided to phone 3 local Bike Shops (2 of which were authorized Suzuki stealerships) to try and track down a set ... or at least get some prices. None had any in stock and I was looking at a week to 10 days to get any in. One 'zuki Dealer quoted me $43.00Cdn + taxes, the other 'zuki (also H.D.) Dealer quoted me $45.00Cdn + taxes and the Honda dealership (who handle lots of aftermarket as well) said I was looking at $40 to $50Cdn for a set ...
This seemed a little steep to me, so I went online and came up with www.motovan.com a Canadian wholesale outfit that supplies m/c parts & accessories to retailers. A browse thru their on-line catalogues came up with this;

SBS #SBS581HF = #34.99Cdn (these are ceramic pads)

EBC #FA106 (also MTV 361-1065) = $33.99Cdn.

MBS #MBS581 = $19.99Cdn

The Suzi dealers were likely quoting me on "Suzuki" brand pads ... which if anything like the original OEM are crap?
Anybody have any opinions on the pads cited above? And should I go back to the Honda/aftermarket dealer and order any of the above?
Comments, opinions and disertations are most welcome!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Brake Pads: the Sequel
Reply #1 - 09/28/05 at 14:59:38

My local Suzuki/Honda dealer runs about a 10 to 30% markup on the same stuff I find online. I haven't changed out my brake pads yet but I plan on getting the SBS581HF ceramics in October.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 09/28/05 at 15:57:07

PerryDaSavage
I picked up a couple of sets of brake shoes from Dennis Kirk on a close out sale. If you interested you can have a set for 15 dollars US plus shipping . The are made by Ferodo, part # FDB217P, Platinum series. Look to be semi metalic pads. I haven't had a chance to try a set on my scoot yet, put a set of ECB's on about a year ago and am waiting for them to get thin. Let me know if you are interested, They are still in the factory package. Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 09/29/05 at 03:28:26

Quote:
I picked up a couple of sets of brake shoes from Dennis Kirk on a close out sale.

Hi Ed ... thanks for your generous offer ... You did mean front brake pads didn't you?
I'll think about it ... $15.00US (17.60Cdn) + 10.00US ($11.73Cdn) or so for shipping = $25.00US ($29.00) is getting pretty close to what I might be able to get thse SBS ceramics for, if I can talk the local Honda guy into giving me a break on the price ... I'll be checking with him either this evening or on the weekend ... will keep your offer in mind though!
Any idea what actual shipping from your U.S. adress to Nfld., canada might be?
Also what brand name are those pads? (doooh!! I just noticed you had that info above!! Roll Eyes)
Thanks again man!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 09/29/05 at 05:51:17

No problem, yeah they are the front pads, I mix up shoes and pads all the time.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 11/23/05 at 21:08:37

My first set of OEM front brake pads lasted only 3500 miles.

I'd be careful about using anything other than organic brake pads.  Sintered metal pads will eat up your rotor, and a rotor costs a heck of a lot more than brake pads.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 11/24/05 at 03:24:07

Actually, I've since picked up the SBS #SBS581HF ceramic pads ... have heard good things about them. Will install them over the winter.
Ceramic pads shouldn't be hard on the brake rotor should they?

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 11/24/05 at 10:14:05

I use EBC FA106. They do the work and they are the cheapest I can find on the spot. They retail for about $25-29. I usually get them for about $20. So far I don't have any complains. The only trick is that there are 2 different FA106 kind of front pads. Make sure You pick-up the thinner ones, because the other ones are pretty thick and the rotor will nor squeze between them.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 11/24/05 at 20:39:53

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Actually, I've since picked up the SBS #SBS581HF ceramic pads ... have heard good things about them. Will install them over the winter.

Sorry, I wish I could help you, but I've got no experience yet with ceramic brake pads.

Let us know after you've burned through a set, please.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 11/24/05 at 21:12:58

Ceramics can wear the disc more than std, thats the trade off for fade resistance.
Lots of good reports on the EBCs.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 11/25/05 at 02:12:12

Yes I like E.B.C.'s too.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/25/05 at 15:18:22

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
PerryDaSavage
I picked up a couple of sets of brake shoes from Dennis Kirk on a close out sale. If you interested you can have a set for 15 dollars US plus shipping . The are made by Ferodo, part # FDB217P, Platinum series. Look to be semi metalic pads. I haven't had a chance to try a set on my scoot yet, put a set of ECB's on about a year ago and am waiting for them to get thin. Let me know if you are interested, They are still in the factory package. Ride Safe, Ed L.

I use the Ferodo's too, and as far as I know, they don't wear the disc/rotor too much. In my opinion, they give a nice bite and are pretty cheap too. My experience with the SBS's is that they wear the disc and aren't that much more aggressive then the Ferodo's.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 11/28/05 at 05:21:12

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

Yes the ceramic pads were harder on the rotor but they grab'd better as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 21:17:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake Pads: the Sequel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.