Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which K&N? (Read 13 times)
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Which K&N?
09/27/05 at 04:14:00

Which K&N air filter fits directly on a stock carb?  Any tips for removing the air filter box?

Thanks,
Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Which K&N?
Reply #1 - 09/27/05 at 08:00:48

hey,  I did just this.  Go to the tech section and look under "Savage mods," and for the post by me.  All the info is right there.  I know that's the right ID I listed for the filter, but not 100% sure if that is the part #.  You can check on knfilter.com and look under "universal air filters."  Some have chrome caps, some black rubber.

To install the KN filter, you have to remove the battery box and keep it off.  I left my airbox on so I could stuff some of the electronics in there, but cut it up pretty good to make the KN filter fit.  Another way to go is to get a shorter battery, an oddesy, I think, (lancer or paladin has one, I believe), and modify the stock battery box.  Although looking at Greg_650's sig pic it appears that he has a direct bolt on filter and the battery box...

To get the airbox out completely, you have to remove both side panels.  There are 2 bolts on the right side of the bike, and one on the left.  The one on the left is a PITA to get out; it is hiding behind the belt guard.  You can looses the belt guard and bend it a little to get at it, or remove the belt guard.  You need to loosen up the left shock's lower end to do so, just retighten it to 20 ftlbs later.  If you permanently remove the belt guard, you need to put a shim on the lower shock linkage; I used a 1/2" washer.

Have fun!

BTW, I am running rich witht he jet settings I posted over there, and am at 5000 feet above sea level.

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #2 - 09/28/05 at 04:36:07

My stock replacement K&N just arived last week. The part number for my '05 was 6595.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 09/28/05 at 05:53:57

Tony wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My stock replacement K&N just arived last week. The part number for my '05 was 6595.

I think he's referring to a pod filter rather than a K&N drop-in replacement since he spoke of attaching it directly to the carb.  I use the K&N drop-in that's a direct swap for the stock filter and I like it a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #4 - 09/28/05 at 07:44:01

You are correct Rob. I searched the posts, but only found ones concerning modifications. Was hoping to find one that i could connect to the "snorkel" coming off the carb.
I did find the K&N site with a bunch of filters. Guess I'll be taking some measurements first. Thanks for the input!
Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/28/05 at 10:21:16

I was wondering about putting a k&n cone right on the carb but I ride in the rain <somewhat> frequently and wasn't sure about gettin it wet and suckin water into the carb. My buddy has a hypercharger (bug catcher) on a little 600 shadow and he said he got caught not to long ago in a light rain and barely made it home bacause he sucked a little water. I wonder if that is a problem with the exposed cone filters regardless of brand?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 09/28/05 at 10:33:53

I ahve not had any trouble with mine yet, but I haven't gotten drenched since I put it on there, jsut some light rain...  If you keep it clean and well oiled, I don't think it should be a problem.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/02/05 at 08:48:52

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Which K&N air filter fits directly on a stock carb?  Any tips for removing the air filter box?

Thanks,
Jim

Well...if you are inclined to do it "my way", you'll need to remove the battery and airbox, cut the tops off the brackets, and reweld them in the rearward position...to get this extra 1 1/2" of clearance...

Then IF you buy this K&N filter, you'll want to cut a little clearance in the rear tank mount like this...the filter comes out under the seat.

After that...hiding all the wires is your next job.  Good luck.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 10/02/05 at 17:36:59

Greg,
Thanks for the info!! Unfortunately, I'm not much of a welder. I sure like the look of your bike though. I might try using the tube from the carb to the airbox and a pancake style filter.
Still contemplating. Thanks for the shots.

Jim

one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/03/05 at 05:37:44

There's always this method - posted in the Technical Corner...

Big K&N stealth install with IMPROVED PICS

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 16:08:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which K&N?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.