YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fork Boots
Reply #15 - 03/31/07 at 23:53:14

How do they fit?  A little tight or just right?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 04/01/07 at 00:02:46

Dead-on perfect fit on mine!  Just remember not to tip the fork tubes down during r &r or you'll pour fork oil on your floor (got that tip from this site, thanks!). I did my install one tube at a time.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #17 - 04/01/07 at 07:53:36

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Wander through this site. It's in German but you will find the pictures with the boots installed.
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

http://www.savage-distel.de

Thanks Kropatchek
I'm working my way thru the links page, some truly amazing pics at these sites - some really different looks for the thumper
http://www.savage-distel.de/links.htm

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #18 - 04/01/07 at 14:00:52

I just ordered Daystar part #F00083 series fork boots in royal blue from RideGear.com #F-52734 is their # You can get them in black from several places, but Ride Gear is the only place I found them in Blue. They have 11" travel and are 6" relaxed, and 3" compressed.The Daystar F00058 are 16" travel and 11"relaxed,5" compressed, and were meant for long travel dirt bike forks on the Honda XR200. I measured from the bottom of the tree to where the S-40 shields are (7-1/2")and the #F00058will be stretched out just about 1-1/2" from the relaxed position, putting them in the middle of the travel just like they should be. Being stretched out slightly when sitting keeps them from rolling up into them selves when the forks shorten in length due to bumps. If they are to long, they will rip or distort prematurely,from  over compression.I called Daystar Products and Dennis Kirk has all the boots listed with the wrong lengths. The only one that is right is the 234, and 83 . If you look at any bike that came stock with fork boots, you will  see that they are stretched out slightly from the relaxed position when the bike is sitting with no weight on it. Daystar no longer makes them in blue only in black.  I was lucky to find someone with the blue ones still in stock.  Be sure to use ArmorAll often to keep them from cracking. I hate taking my forks out to change boots any sooner than I have to. Now I just hope the guy at Daystar was right about the dimensions. I always seem to find the guy that gets everything wrong. Remember my luck.  Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #19 - 04/02/07 at 08:34:28

I just wanted to bring to your attention that anyone that went by Dennis Kirk quoted lengths for fork boots have the WRONG ones. With all the years of Triumphs,BSA, Royal Enfield and dirt bikes with fork boots I have owned, I knew something was wrong. I called Daystar again and they said that for a fork like the Savage with 5.5" travel you need a boot with 9-11 extended length. The F00058 boot has a 16" extended lenght, not 11 like DK says. The F00058 is 5" TOTALY collapsed. I was told that running them on a 5.5" travel fork will destroy them in short order. The recomended boots are the F00083, or the F00070 Grand Prix Universal. I was told that the 58 series should be stretched to 11 or more inches to be mounted correctly. That would put them at the fender mount on the Savage. I just wanted to bring this to your attention, BEFORE OTHERS BUY THE WRONG ONES. If you have already installed or ordered them, you can thank DENNIS KIRK for the misprint. One other thing about fork boots. You must keep them soft(Armorall) and check for cracks. If you see any cracks water and dirt will collect inside the boots causing rust, which will tear up the seals in no time. Check them often. Pull the bottom off and wipe down your fork tube at the seal area and they will do their job for a VERY LONG TIME. Hope this helps.  Following is a pic of the F00058 boots installed on with the correct STRETCHED length and on the correct bike, which is a Honda XR 200 R with 10" of fork travel, not 5" of travel like the Savage.  

Hutch  

BTW this is why I quit dealing with Dennis Kirk a few years ago. I always was sending the "wrong" part back.

IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/02/07 at 10:58:33

Also, my bad run in with fork boots was I saw some on e-bay, for Trumps and the likes, I ordered and when they arrived the lower diameter was fine, fit right over the seals, however, the upper half a little on the sloppy side, I had to fab some rubber "donuts" and now they fit fine.  They look ok, not as nice as the ones I see here, where people ordered the correct ones, but I guess they'll still serve the same purpose anyway.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #21 - 04/02/07 at 11:25:00

monkee72 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Also, my bad run in with fork boots was I saw some on e-bay, for Trumps and the likes, I ordered and when they arrived the lower diameter was fine, fit right over the seals, however, the upper half a little on the sloppy side, I had to fab some rubber "donuts" and now they fit fine.  They look ok, not as nice as the ones I see here, where people ordered the correct ones, but I guess they'll still serve the same purpose anyway.

If F00058 Daystar were installed on the Savage, THEY ARE NOT THE CORRECT ONES and will not last very long.That is a quote from Daystar.I was also told that forkboots that are kept pliable and are the correct length should last for 4-5 years. If they show any sign of cracking before then, they either were not taken care of, or were of incorrect length. You can call them at 1-800-595-7659     Hutch

IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/04/07 at 11:42:21

Considering that stones and airborne debris puts dents in the surface that eads to leaking seals, and bug guts are even worse since they are corrosive, I firmly believe that the manufacturer should put boots on before it is sold to the public.  However, most buyers are impressed by the look of polished metal fork legs so the manufacturers just omit them and save money in the deal too.
I just ordered a set from a supplier of dirt bike thingies.
I will put a note here after I find out how well they fit.
BTW, I just welded a couple of sidecar lugs onto my frame. They look like they belong there. I should have the hack completed soon.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 04/04/07 at 11:53:03

I have a set I bought from Dennis Kirk but haven't needed to pull the forks yet.  One of these days I need to learn how to change the fork oil (no leaks or anything, just age) and I'll add the boots then.  Otherwise, I do have stainless fork protectors attached to my SuperBrace.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #24 - 04/04/07 at 13:22:12

Phelonius, I know what you mean about should be standard equipment. The 1967 Royal Enfield I am restoring has the original fork boots. The owner bought the bike new in 1967. One fork seal is leaking. That boot has a slit in it. The other side is still perfect and not leaking. All you have to remember about the right length of the boot is that it should be the distance from the bottom tree ,to your mounting point on lower leg, plus 2-3 inches. The boot should be almost FULLY extended when the front of the bike is off the ground. I f it isn't fully extended it is to long. The correct length for the Savage is 9-11". The F00058 is 16" not 11" like Dennis Kirk's catalog says.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:20:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Boots

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.