Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help with carb/backfire (Read 104 times)
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Re: Need help with carb/backfire
Reply #15 - 10/04/05 at 04:12:11

Lancer, I was guessing there was a chance that this might be the case as it seems to run perfect when the old filter is in place. I have never played with the inside of the carb though and am apprehensive about attemtping the pilot jet change. The spacer mod was done at a local shop.Do you know what the stock pilot jet size is, or whatI should consider going up to?

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 10/04/05 at 10:13:40

The stock pilot jet is #52.5, and going to the next larger jet...a #55, should take care of the pilot circuit problem for the stock carb.

The float bowl is the bottom of the carb and is held on by 4 phillips head screws (most riders replace those with allen head screws..about $2 at the hardware store).

Turn the carb  over on its' side and take the float bowl off (it is easier to just pull the carb from the rubber mounting flange and the rubber filter tube).

With the float bowl off you will see the main jet in the very middle. (the stock main jet is a #145, and if that has not been changed then replace it with a #155)   Next to the main jet is a tube like shape, look down inside and about 3/4" down you will see the small pilot jet.  Use a "small" screwdriver to remove it and replace with the new pilot jet.

Then put the bowl back on, put the carb back on the engine, start it up and let it warm up for several minutes.  Then readjust the pilot screw and reset the idle.

Keep in mind that the jets are made of brass and the carb is aluminum so be careful not to damage threads and such.  Very snug but not HARD tight.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #17 - 10/05/05 at 01:41:00

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Keep in mind that the jets are made of brass and the carb is aluminum so be careful not to damage threads and such.  Very snug but not HARD tight.

And a correct fitting screwdriver.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #18 - 10/05/05 at 04:14:57

Thank you for the help. I am going to have to wait now until the weekend to do this. I am in the middle of a major floor replacement in my living room, and my wife says no bike till this its done (I cant argue with her).

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
alwaysuphigh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/31/13 at 13:15:19

i had the same annoying problem. finally one day, i went to start her up. she flooded so bad gas puked out of the breather tube. of course that means the crankcase was now full of fuel. i took the time to pull the carb off, and found all the jets were clogged. also, the choke shaft on the inside of the diaphragm area was covered in gunk. i soaked the carb overnight in denautured alcohol, remved the jets and cleaned them. i had to shove (carefully) small gauge wire thru them to open them up.
also, i re jetted the them with slightly bigger pilots.
put her back together and she fired right up. i have been riding ever since with great compression and no backfire. also, i changed my oil to 20/50. i talked to a savage guy who says these bikes like that best.

hope that helps!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/02/13 at 04:15:35

alwaysuphigh wrote on 05/31/13 at 13:15:19:
i changed my oil to 20/50. i talked to a savage guy who says these bikes like that best.

The Savage may like 20W50 best when it is really hot out.....but the bike runs well on 10W40 just the same.  A lot of us are using Rotella T with is 15W40.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:40:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with carb/backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.