Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: 46MPG!?!
Reply #15 - 09/17/05 at 22:25:13

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have averaged 48-52 since day one.  From stock to current mod's it has remained constant.  The most difference is made by driving style, easy cruise=52, hard runs=48...combo style lands it in between.

Oh yeah, ya show off, we know that you have a bigger motor that sucks more than ours too  Grin

By the way, how do those rear shocks of yours feel?  Pretty good, eh?  I like the extra "lift" that you have on the rear.

We're goin' on a local ride with our other Savage buddy, Chris, here in Portland tomorrow.  Have a good Sunday riding if you can.

IP Logged
Banjoboy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/18/05 at 19:45:05

I just came back from a 150 mile ride, including going to the top of Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angeles, WA ( a beautiful, beautiful bike trip) and averageed about 58 mpg on mainly two lane hiway and mountain runs.  At home and around touwn, more like 49 mph.  

Banjoboy

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #17 - 09/19/05 at 08:21:00

The worst milage i got was around 38mpg. This was during a weekend ride attacking a bunch of twisties, lots of wide open throttle and downshifting, had a real wild hair up the butt that day Grin. When out riding normal I get around 50mpg, it all depends on the riders style and shift points. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #18 - 12/21/07 at 00:34:01

I average between 50 to 60 mpg with my bone stock brand new (sic) 1997 Savage.   Grin

PS.  I know - I need to get wrenching on it!!!   lol

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 12/21/07 at 06:50:22

Worse mileage on my '01 was  39.9 on the first tank.  That was after piecing the engine together that the PO gave me in boxes.  

Last tank was 54 in the city.  I have noticed that I've gotten better MPG since the loud muffler but that might be because I'm trying to be a little more quite.  But......it is nice being able to shock people with a WOT  Grin  

Last ride a few weeks ago, a Harely rider w/scarf for head gear,  barely looked as I coasted up to the light.  Did a quick rev and I thought his head was going to snap off..... Cool

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 12/21/07 at 07:20:54

"Never Heard Of..." Tongue

Not even sure why people worry about Savage mileage, as long as the bike is running good...

Just like a car, it all depends on how you drive.  You can get your hands dirty doing all kinds of stuff, but if you keep your RPMs lower between shifts and don't accelerate hard, your mileage will increase.

If you can't do those things, then just be happy to know that your mileage is much better than your car or a v-twin, anyway.  Besides, it's not a scooter...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #21 - 12/21/07 at 07:24:00

mileage is controlled by the left part of your brain..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #22 - 12/21/07 at 07:35:40

Paladin. wrote on 09/14/05 at 12:20:14:
If you want fantastic mileage find a nice level 2-lane and cruise a steady 40-55 mph.    Cruise 65-75 mph will drop your mileage.  Every stop/accelerate maneuver drops the mileage.  Deduct if the acceleration is WOT.  City streets are the worst.  I'm doing everything wrong and I still get over 40 mpg.
(Got 58 mpg on my 140 mile twisty ride. which included 30 mile 65mph+ freeway to La Canada and 30 miles of city streets back from La Canada.)[

I have a stock '07 S40, I get 60 mpg all day long. 55-65-75 mph / some stops / some long stretches - doesn't seem to matter too much.  I have a 1 hour each way commute.
(Actually right now I'm just dreaming about riding.  It's too darn cold here.)  

-Matt

WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #23 - 12/21/07 at 08:19:32

Wow, talk about an old thread coming to life.  What most of us are not taking into account is the variation in MPG caused by our, ahem, "personal mass".  I'd probably increase my MPG if I decreased my BPW (Burritos per week).   Cool

It's fine to drive modestly and prudently, but after my ride to work yesterday behind people in obvious love with their brake pedals (for no apparent reason, nobody in front of them), I had to open it up out of sheer frustration.  Cell-phone induced braking perhaps.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 12/21/07 at 13:20:31

Personally, I wish this topic had stayed dead Tongue

It's a non issue.

...no where's one of those old topics about small gas tanks...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 07/11/08 at 20:48:29

FWIW.....

I've kept records for the last year now.

Overall average is 58 mpg.  All city riding, moderate intensity.  Lots of short trips.

I weigh about 160 lbs.

My bike is in my signature.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:14:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 46MPG!?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.