Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Put on my Progressive shocks today (Read 358 times)
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Put on my Progressive shocks today
Reply #60 - 11/03/05 at 07:57:50

A while back Greg & Torque mentioned progressive shocks as being 1 or 2 dampers. I recall "progressive" being/getting more shock travel vs. wheel travel.
Back when dirt bikes all had 2 shocks, (wow! Look a Yamaha monoshock!) about '73 or ‘74 I recall my "old school" dirt bike racing buds cutting the upper shock mounts on a Kawy and moving them forward to install longer shocks... ta...da they had "lay-down shocks".
Using the previous chart as reference, move the shock mounts such that angle AC was more acute, for every change of length "B”, "C" was required to change more. This allowed experimentation w/ longer springs, rates. (at some point the shock mounts begin to bend Smiley )

I picked up a complete swing arm on eBay. Sometime I figured to modify it for a fatter tire and lay down shocks if I can't find a shock size to work. Or being a tight-wad, just make a taller tab and fit it to lay down the existing, cheapo.
Gotta be careful, there ain't much shock to work with (the stocker).
I was considering moving the rear mounting tabs on the Savage rearward this would allow the use of the taller P shocks, lower the ride height back toward stock and make the suspension more "progressive"(?)
Oh yeah thanks for the dimensions Reelthing, and photos Rob, good info there.  8)

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Put on my Progressive shocks today
Reply #61 - 11/13/05 at 14:07:47

Just an added observation.  Though I thought I was being pretty careful and estimating closely, I've discovered it is indeed beneficial to make the bike as "relatively" level as possible by raising the front appropriately or working on a slope, etc.  I managed to very slightly overfill my oil because I thought she was a bit low.  It turns out she was not low.  Anyway, the excess comes out the breather into the airbox and manages to drip out that drain.  Since it was only a very small amount, I was thinking I had a minor leak someplace.  Anyway, I tracked it to the airbox drain tube.  Just thought I'd mention it to anyone using long enough shocks to affect the sightglass as I have.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Put on my Progressive shocks today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.