Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Put on my Progressive shocks today (Read 358 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Put on my Progressive shocks today
Reply #15 - 09/29/05 at 06:42:35

Very nice looking bike.   I really like the black/chrome theme.  That is what I want mine to be like as well.
I am planning to repaint mine with  a pearl type black paint.  I will wait for the middle of winter to do that though.

You have definitely earned a GOLD STAR  today.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 09/29/05 at 07:00:42

Thanks Michael.

Just for comparison's sake...

Stock shocks at highest setting:

Progressive 412-4214C shocks at lowest setting:

Oh, and for anyone that is wondering, that is a .50 cal ammo box on the back.  It's painted with rustoleum hammered metal black and padlocked.  It may not be pretty but it's tough, waterproof, and just about the right size for some tools, basic spares, flashlight, first-aid kit, etc.  It's mounted to the luggage rack with neoprene washers between the box and rack.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 09/29/05 at 19:17:20

Talking about black...two weeks ago when I went on the March of Dimes Ride there was a guy who had his Harley painted with the TUFF STUFF/RHINO LINING coating that is sprayed in the back of pickup trucks.  It was very different seeing it on a bike but I liked it...a lot.  That is one tough coating.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 09/30/05 at 08:49:50

Rob, that is a nice looking savage!  I bet blacking out the fork lowers would look pretty good too.

A lot of folks with rats also use the rhino hide stuff.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 09/30/05 at 10:52:17

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Rob, that is a nice looking savage!  I bet blacking out the fork lowers would look pretty good too.

A lot of folks with rats also use the rhino hide stuff.

Thank you.  That might look good.  However, I'm considering some black fork boots and if I put those on, I'd definitely want to keep the lowers as they are.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 09/30/05 at 11:44:47

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thank you.  That might look good.  However, I'm considering some black fork boots and if I put those on, I'd definitely want to keep the lowers as they are.

I agree with you there.  I am still very much thinking about the fork boots, but my lowers are already black...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 10/01/05 at 10:50:12

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Progressive Suspension is a manufacturer of suspension products - a brand name.

Well, yeah, but "progressive" was also a type of spring/shock setup that was born in the early 80's with the popularity of off road and dirt bikes, I believe.  Sort of a performance thing to have springs with progressive compression rates.

Anyway, your bike is looking good there, Rob.  Looks like you could get a 24" tire in there now  Tongue

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #22 - 10/01/05 at 11:21:17

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Well, yeah, but "progressive" was also a type of spring/shock setup that was born in the early 80's with the popularity of off road and dirt bikes, I believe.  Sort of a performance thing to have springs with progressive compression rates.

I beleive your talking about the [glow=yellow,2,300]mono-shock [/glow]

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #23 - 10/01/05 at 13:56:11

Not necessarily. Sure, some of the early single shock set-ups used progressive wound springs, but they were also prevelant in the traditional dual shock set-up as well.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 10/02/05 at 07:20:34

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

Not necessarily. Sure, some of the early single shock set-ups used progressive wound springs, but they were also prevelant in the traditional dual shock set-up as well.

Yep.  That is all that I was talking about.

I wonder if that is where the Progressive Insurance company gots its name....not

Tongue

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #25 - 10/02/05 at 07:55:49

The mono-shock I got for my SR500 project has a progressive wound spring.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #26 - 10/02/05 at 14:59:32

Yeah, that's why I capitalized Progressive to indicate a name rather than just an adjective.

Another note: Beside the need to adjust the headlight, I'll need to modify my homemade bike lift.  It's now too narrow to lift the bike with the new height.  I've realized just how often I use it instead of the actual hydraulic lift now that it won't work.  I think simply adding a 2x4 to the side should do it though.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #27 - 10/03/05 at 18:27:20

These are progressive shocks made by Progressive -  the 4207 is 105/150lb/in and the 4214 is 120/170lb/in 105 or 120 lbs to compress the first inch and 150 or 170 lbs to compress the last inch.

Rob, can you try to measure the lift the 12.5inch shocks produced over the stockers - looks to be 3 to 4 inches

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #28 - 10/03/05 at 21:10:37

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Rob, can you try to measure the lift the 12.5inch shocks produced over the stockers - looks to be 3 to 4 inches

I'll see what I can do.  It'll be pretty close anyway.  I won't be able to be completely accurate without swapping back though.

I'll say this much: It was sure easy to get my hands inside the fender to reinstall my saddlebag supports with the bike leaning on the sidestand.  The first time I did it, it was a knuckle scraper.  If I'd lifted the bike the first time it would have been easier than on the sidestand - but not nearly as easy and it was this time on the sidestand.

----------------------------

Edit:  The lift is almost exactly three inches.  However, that's the difference between the stockers' highest setting and the new shocks' lowest setting.  The ride is very different now.  Bumps are not transmitted directly to your spine anymore.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 10/10/05 at 12:09:00

thanks rob - been trying to figure out which part number would lift the bike very little if any and still give
us some better shocks - I believe the stock spring rate is between 90 and 100 closer to 90 as best I can tell by coil count and wire diameter with about 2 inches of travel.

If you measure your stock shocks at rest (or just laying on the floor) are they 10" or 10.5" ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:29:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Put on my Progressive shocks today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.