Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muffler? (Read 8 times)
bikeshark
Ex Member

Muffler?
09/12/05 at 09:11:27

I have a 2005 s40, what aftermarket mufflers will fit on it? Where do you order them from?

Thanks for your help.

Mark Smith

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Muffler?
Reply #1 - 09/12/05 at 10:58:57

I have a few posted in the "Marketplace", or you can go to ebay for hundreds to choose from.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 09/12/05 at 11:51:50

I'm sure the Mac muffler for the Savage will fit it.  It says 86-87 Savage.  I have one on my 98 and I don't think the exhaust has changed.  For that matter, basically any of the mufflers you see others using in posts on this site should fit yours... the Jardine, Mac, Raask, Supertrapp, etc.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 09/12/05 at 12:30:28

A cherry bomb with a 1.75 ID will fit without modifying anything on the bike, besides removing the stock muffler.

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #4 - 09/12/05 at 12:45:32

A Jardine slip-on.

vroom1776 WTF is a cherry bomb? Never heard that one before.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
jrm8486
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/12/05 at 12:50:24

I also have a 05 and I bought a Jardine. Bikebandit.com has them its a direct bolt on with no mods.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #6 - 09/12/05 at 12:53:32

gazab44 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
A Jardine slip-on.

its a free flowing muffler that is made for cars and trucks
cherry bomb is the brand. also thrush makes a good muffler,its about 2feet long and three inch diameter

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 09/12/05 at 13:02:41

gazab44 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

It is also known as a glasspack.  I will hopefully post pictures of it on my bike soon.  Basically what it is is a long louvered baffle with a bunch of fiberglass around the baffle.  So on mine, the straight through section is 1.75 ID, and then where the fiberglass is it is about 3" OD (counting the metal).  They are usually painted red... and with the ridiculous volume, you get the name "cherry bomb."  Grin  Mine seems to be about 3 dB quieter than an open header.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 09/12/05 at 13:50:44

On this older photo of my bike, I had a cheap shorty glasspack from JCWhitney.  It actually sounds really great (low and mellow) but the chrome is quite low quality.  Also, If I were to use a glasspack again, I'd want one a bit longer than the one I had in this photo.  This one blew exhaust across my rear brakes and would eventually blacken them with soot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #9 - 09/12/05 at 14:15:38

I just got a 2005 S40 3 days ago.  It had 724 miles on it and has had the 600 mi. service done. $3450 out the door.  Good price?

I also need info on aftermarket muffler.  The Mac shown looks good.  Will this muffler require jet changes and is the installation straightforward?  Brackets in right place etc.?  Also, how about sound? I am looking for a nice throaty "thump, thump, thump ---".  any info you can offer will bw greatly appreciated. I am a NEWBIE.  Not to bike riding - I have been at it for 57 years now, but certainly new to the Savage.

Thanks again,

Jack

Thanks for any info.

Jack

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 09/12/05 at 14:24:24

The Mac is an easy swap with no mounting mods necessary.  I would advise you to get another gasket for between the header and muffler though.  That thing is a one-use item.  You should definitely rejet but that's easy and a main jet is only about $3 at your local HD dealer.  You can read about rejetting and such in the Technical Corner but post questions here - not there.  There are also sound clips of several different mufflers in the Technical Corner.

Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #11 - 09/15/05 at 15:16:01

I just finished installing my Sportster Muffler on my 05, S40.  I love the sound. It is a little louder and much more throaty. The install took about  1/2 hour. Initially I used a standard Car muffler clamp 1.75"( U-Bolt style). It seemed to leak a good amount around compression seams. I stopped by the local custom shop today and picked up a 1" wide, chromed strap clamp that was designed for use on a Harley/Custom. Cost $5.  It required a little grinding to remove the "stop" to allow it to close tighter. Looks much better and the leaking exhaust is now gone. I am now awaiting my new heat shield from JC Whitney.

Total cost:

Muffler: $66.00
Carb Jet (155): $2.89
Clamp: $5.00
Heat Shield: $12.99 (on sale)
----------------------------------------
Total: 86.88

and worth every penny!

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 14:10:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.