Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Suzuki brake pad recall..... (Read 12 times)
threezukes
Ex Member

Suzuki brake pad recall.....
09/10/05 at 03:56:43

Today after work I got a letter from the dealer saying that my front brake pads may be on recall,  so I took it to the dealer and they actually changed everything for free .  WooHoo!!...sorry forgot to ask why they were recalled though, but they did say that it was for Suzuki bikes and not just Savages.

Any recalls somewhere else?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Suzuki brake pad recall.....
Reply #1 - 09/10/05 at 10:20:16

Whoaa!! I'm gonna have to look into that?! Any website where this info is posted?
Thanks!

Perry(daSavage)
St. John's, Nfld.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 09/10/05 at 13:13:52

Interesting, I wonder how far back the recall goes. I bought my '02 used with only 2K miles on it and the front shoes were already worn down to 1/8 an inch. Seemed like excessive wear but nobody at the dealer would give me a straight answer. Doesn't really matter anyways, the old shoes have been trashed long ago. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Durandal
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/10/05 at 15:47:38

My '01 still had the original pads on it - until today.  They lasted about 3900 miles (bike had 937 on it when I got  it).  Hopefully, the new ones will last a little longer.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 09/10/05 at 19:30:58

I bought mine with 1640 miles on it and the pads were getting close to needing to be replaced, so I changed 'em.  The shoes on the rear seem fine though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Deb
2005 No Login

02 silver savage :)
In the mountains of
East Tenn.

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 09/10/05 at 20:40:24

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Interesting, I wonder how far back the recall goes. I bought my '02 used with only 2K miles on it and the front shoes were already worn down to 1/8 an inch. Seemed like excessive wear but nobody at the dealer would give me a straight answer. Doesn't really matter anyways, the old shoes have been trashed long ago. Ride Safe

If  anyone finds out about the year of the recall please post it . TY

YaBBCJunior
Littled200056   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 09/11/05 at 10:53:54

The reason for the Savage pads not to last is that the caliper is so narrow, and there is no place for "meat" on the pads. There are 3 different sizes brake pads that differ only by the thickness of the brake material. The only one that fit are the one with the list material.When You compare them with some other brake pads, brand new Savage pads look like they are 1/2 worn down.  The fact that there is only one small disk in front doesn't help too.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/11/05 at 18:45:20

had to change mine at 6800 ???

shawn

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/12/05 at 03:52:26

I've been doing Google searches for a few hours learning what I could about brakes. This is what I learned: If you have a bike with dual discs & 6-8 pistons, you can buy the BEST brake pads for it. (HH rated) If you have ONE disc & ONE piston, your only available choices are the lower rated pads. Makes NO sense to me, at least from a non-marketing perspective.  I did find one amazing revelation: Galfer actually makes a braided stainless steel brake liner for OUR bike! Not a generic "one-size fits some" or adapter kit outfit. I posted a brake pad rating thing on the tech section for your info. You all have a great week.  Smiley

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/12/05 at 04:26:57

I guess maybe the recall is only for here in Japan.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 09/12/05 at 09:10:51

My Mate in the next but one village does custom braided stainless brake lines to fit whatever you want.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Deb
2005 No Login

02 silver savage :)
In the mountains of
East Tenn.

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 09/12/05 at 14:28:00

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I've been doing Google searches for a few hours learning what I could about brakes. This is what I learned: If you have a bike with dual discs & 6-8 pistons, you can buy the BEST brake pads for it. (HH rated) If you have ONE disc & ONE piston, your only available choices are the lower rated pads. Makes NO sense to me, at least from a non-marketing perspective.  I did find one amazing revelation: Galfer actually makes a braided stainless steel brake liner for OUR bike! Not a generic "one-size fits some" or adapter kit outfit. I posted a brake pad rating thing on the tech section for your info. You all have a great week.  Smiley

Thank you babbalou for taking the time to look this up for us.  Grin

YaBBCJunior
Littled200056   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/12/05 at 14:42:42

Glad to help, Deb. If I ever run across some HH rated pads that fit our bikes I'll post the source here.  Smiley

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #13 - 09/12/05 at 21:57:34

after reading here about front brake pad life on this board, i took a peek at mine, GAD ZOOKS, could barely see ANY meat on inside pad! 2900 mi. i do use front brake very heavely, after all, front brake does 'bout 70 or80% of breaking, so not wanting to wait 2 weeks(and lose some of the best riddin weather of the year) for mail order, i went to my local steeler(HOW TRUE) today. was ripped for over 32 bucks for lowest grade EBC pads. cycle mag adds has them for 17 or 18 bucks + ship. it's no wonder there is such a brisk mail order business in parts.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 09/26/05 at 02:14:27

Well after all of this talk about the LS' front brake pads, at the local "Toys 4 Tots" Run yesterday, had an aquaintence who happens to be a crack m/c mechanic look at mine ... he said that I'd better replace 'em before next season, as they were just about gone!! And that's with only 5,000km on 'em and I'm not heavy on the brakes (But I have noticed lately that my front brake lever feels "hard" when pulled...)!!
It appears that the stock OEM pads for the Savage are crap ... any better aftermarket ones out there that anyone can recommend?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:57:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki brake pad recall.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.