Reply #30 - 09/23/05 at 05:53:32

Well?

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Re: Strange whislte
Reply #31 - 09/23/05 at 12:05:12

I've tryed many thing and this darn sound is still here :/
Yesterday I was pretty sure to have found the origin of the problem (2 of the 3 silent-blocs of the front pulley's "cover" were missing so pulley the was rubbing against the cover)... but as incredible as it can be there's now less noise...
Yes... LESS... Shocked
It su**

If the noise had disappeared I would say myself: nice, I've fixed that darn problem
If the noise had not disappeared I would say myself: well, at least I'm now sure that's someting else

But there is still a noise Sad

Anyway, I found what makes exactly the same noise (to make you an idea): attach a plastic pen's hood at the end of a big rope, make the rope swirl until the hood whistles, now you know what' it sounds like Grin

PS: lol, I've just seen darn is "censored"... sorry, I didn't know it was such a bad word Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 09/23/05 at 15:30:14

Mambo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Ok, I've done some test

1. the sound increase with rpms.
2. there's nearly no sound in 1st gear and the 3rd is the louder.
3. there's no sound in neutral.
4. there's no sound in gear if the bike's not moving (even at high rpm).
5. if the sound is loud and I disengage clutch the sound disapear (even if RPM doesn't change).
6. the sound is more audible when accelerating and less when slowing down.

oil and filters changed -> no change
air filter changed -> no change
secondary belt waxed* -> no change

* old trick when a belt is squeaking is to "lube" it with some bee wax (I used that since many years for belt on cars)

Okay.  I'm going back over my check list, what has been suggested, and what you said that you have done.

First, a squeaking belt, squeaks because it has a load on it.  When you pull in the clutch and coast along, you have removed that load...There is also no load when sitting still in nuetral.

What I want to know is, did you loosen your drive belt yet?  You have not said that you did that...

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #33 - 09/23/05 at 15:53:32

do not put "wax"on  the belt,all it will do is cause a mess,it will also just hide the real problem.

the belt makes this noise if it has too much tension on it ,not because it is rubbing somewhere,u could put all the lube in the world on it but it will still make the noise.

someone might have said this already,but try to twist the belt 90 degrees,if u cant do that it needs to be loosened anyway.

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 09/24/05 at 00:33:29

Greg_650 : Err, sorry, forgot to say I've loosen the belt (no change... at all)

torque : when the belt is a little bit old (mine has 12 years) the rubber is sometimes a little "dry". The wax is not to hide a problem, but is the answer to a specific problem. That's why I used wax (just in case)

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #35 - 09/24/05 at 05:40:10

Greg_650 : Err, sorry, forgot to say I've loosen the belt (no change... at all)

torque : when the belt is a little bit old (mine has 12 years) the rubber is sometimes a little "dry". The wax is not to hide a problem, but is the answer to a specific problem. That's why I used wax (just in case)

OK! so its not the belt,the only other thing that dosent have pressure on it ,when u disengage the clutch ,is the clutch.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 09/24/05 at 06:21:40

Okay....the clutch is right and the belt is left.

To me, this is related to the drive belt, but on which side do you hear the noise?

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 09/24/05 at 09:36:36

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
To me, this is related to the drive belt, but on which side do you hear the noise?
Very hard to say... I'll say "from everywhere" :p
I only hear the sound when driving, so it's difficult to put my ears close to the engine to locate the source Wink

BTW, is the Savage in your signature your bike?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 09/24/05 at 09:58:59

Very hard to say... I'll say "from everywhere" :p
I only hear the sound when driving, so it's difficult to put my ears close to the engine to locate the source Wink

BTW, is the Savage in your signature your bike?

First, I don't know of any part of the engine that actually "whistles", and if it did I can't imagine how it would still be running.  It just seems that you'd have some obvious metallic sounds coming from the engine.

Any chance to ride your bike without a helmet, to better hear the sound?

It only does it when the bike is moving, right?

Yes, that is my bike.

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 09/24/05 at 11:14:30

Yep, right, there's only this disturbing sound when the bike is moving.
I'll try some burnout to see if I can hear the sound this way (I'm pretty shure my neighbourg will love me much more after that Cheesy).

About your bike, is it a Raask exhaust? Can you tell me more about? (increase/decrease power? sound? carb mod,...). I'm planning to buy one (it looks great) but I'm afraid it doesn't sound as nice as a Screamin Eagle Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 09/24/05 at 13:49:21

Yep, right, there's only this disturbing sound when the bike is moving.
I'll try some burnout to see if I can hear the sound this way (I'm pretty shure my neighbourg will love me much more after that Cheesy).

Okay.  Rule out the idea of the carb or the engine.  It only does it when moving.  That leaves the problem from the transmission to the rear wheel.  If you can determine which side of the bike is producing the noise, we'll narrow it down some more.

Quote:
About your bike, is it a Raask exhaust? Can you tell me more about? (increase/decrease power? sound? carb mod,...). I'm planning to buy one (it looks great) but I'm afraid it doesn't sound as nice as a Screamin Eagle Undecided

Overall, I like the Raask.  Performance is different.  The double-walled header ID is larger than stock.  Better breathing gives me a strong top end, but the mid range is not as strong as the SuperTrapp that was on it (on my spouse's now).  It came with an optional baffle that I burned up  Tongue and I'm currently working on my own prototype.

The sound is Loud (hence, my baffle work).  It sounds like 1/2 of any blown out V-Twin with Cobra pipes.

Quality is Excellent, Excellent, Excellent.  The chrome is great.  The mount is perfect.  Even has a signature...

Other pluses are the lighter weight and the lack of a muffler clamp.  It weighs about 7 lbs.

The choice is yours...Smiley  With all the good things, the sound is different.  If you want deep throaty megaphone sound, better get a Trapp, Jardine, or a Mac.

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 10/07/05 at 01:23:57

I think I've found what was the problem (not hundred % sure, but the noise is no more).
I've removre the exhaust and discovered the cylinder/exhaust joint was missing. So there were a liitle space between them and I think when the bike was moving, the engine was turning a little, so was the exhauts, and then the exhaust gaz was whistling by the empty space (like a flute).
I fix this problem and there's no more annoying sound... so why am I not 100% sure it was the problem? Because I've changed other problems in the same time, so I duno wich was "whistling" Roll Eyes

But if your bike starts whistling, look @ the exhaust first Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Strange whislte (fixed)
Reply #42 - 10/07/05 at 07:55:05

I vote for the transmission.

It is not in the engine because the noise disappears when in neutral or clutch disengaged...regardless of rpm.
The sound is only made when moving down the road and in gear.
The belt has been eliminated as  a source.
It "sounds" like it is coming from the top of the engine because the only time he can hear it is when he is riding...ie sitting on top of the bike...the sound is being transferred from the trans and through the engine ...therefore it "seems" as if it is coming from the top of the engine.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #43 - 10/07/05 at 12:51:42

The only whistling sound I've heard was from my lips when the stealership quoted the cost of replacement parts and accessories !   Shocked

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
cityslickers2

Reply #44 - 11/11/05 at 19:05:23

Hi, this sounds silly, but I was having the same situation. I thought it was coming from the front end somewhere and it turned out to be the speedometer vibrating upon acceleration. If I put my hand over it, it stops.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange whislte (fixed)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.