Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exhaust port mods, custom exhaust pipe (Read 2169 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Lancer Upgrade
Reply #15 - 04/13/09 at 08:59:37

Battery box is on that thing though right ?
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 04/14/09 at 04:58:11

Mr. Hyde wrote on 04/13/09 at 06:05:10:
Hey Lancer - as one Southern Cruisers member to another welcome to the hood. I am 2nd Officer for Chapter 106, Kingston, Ontario, Canada. My handle there is Savage Larry.

Unfortunately, our local chapter dried up last year.  
However, it looks like some guys from my church are organinzing a riding group, which will be nice to have some close by in our little towns.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 05/08/09 at 21:51:12

srinath wrote on 04/13/09 at 07:21:36:
Muffler - broke @ the weld. Please tell me you didn't mount the exhaust on the swingarm ... I couldn't tell from the pics ... the swingarm ... its ... well a swingarm, it swings ... you have to fit it back on to that stock carrier you lopped off. Like make a cradle or somehting ...
Cool.
Srinath.

Actually, I did have it mounted to the swing arm briefly ... very briefly   Grin

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #18 - 05/21/09 at 09:00:02

I cant believe you mounted the muffle on the swinging arm. It just goes to show that even the best of us are fallible. Rock on Bro.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #19 - 05/21/09 at 09:44:04

What size tube did you use to build that header ?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 05/21/09 at 10:11:55

AngloSaxon wrote on 05/21/09 at 09:00:02:
I cant believe you mounted the muffle on the swinging arm. It just goes to show that even the best of us are fallible. Rock on Bro.

I would use a short piece of flex pipe if I was ... but a straight thin wall pipe with a short baffle can just sit witout a mount ... start getting fancy and you need mount brackets etc etc ...
Cool.
Srnath.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 05/21/09 at 15:16:19

mikestrikes wrote on 05/21/09 at 09:44:04:
What size tube did you use to build that header ?

I bought basic tube that was 1.75" OD and 1.6" ID.  The assorted pieces I got were swagged on one end so they would slide into each other at the points I wanted.  Kind of a "cut & paste" type of thing.  I managed to weld it up so it stayed together and does not leak.  I tried to do another but was unable to repeat my earlier work.  Not sure if it was just me screwing up, or the inexpensive welder not performing well, or some combo effect, but it was a no-go.  
At least the first one does work well.  I hope to try again in a few weeks...we shall see.
The 1.6" ID works very well with a modified engine and high flow exhaust.  If you have a stock engine I would suggest using 1.5" ID pipe and a Dyna muffler at least, or Supertrapp, etc, for the good flow.
When I measured the ID of the stock header I got 1.3" ID on the inner pipe.

IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #22 - 05/21/09 at 17:10:39

Thanks.

I was going to use 1.5" for the first bend out of the motor and 1.75" the rest of the way to the muffler..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 05/22/09 at 05:09:03

The header on a Savage is only about 30-33" in most cases, unless you go unusually long.  If your engine is stock you will get better all around performance out of a 1.5"ID  pipe, especially if you have a high flow muffler on the end.  Going longer on the header may add some low-midrange torque even if you do go with the bigger tube.

I just made arrangements to get on old 87 model with a stock engine and will try to make another header but will be using the 1.5"ID pipe for it.  As soon as it is running I will do some jetting tests with stock carb and header; I think it has a dyna muffler on it now but am not sure.  After that is done then I hope to do the new pipe with same stock carb and same muffler and just rejet/tune to suite the engine with the new header and see what the differences are.  Hopefully, I can document the process on a local dyno...subject to funding of course which is always an issue.

KLX does this stuff for a living over in England and if he comes around this thread maybe he can throw in some professional wisdom.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/07/09 at 08:59:35

You've menstioned it before but not here...

You've had Silican Carbide cylinder treatment aka Nikasil done to Ol' Rex.

I've been searching for Phelonius Piston and doing this cylinder treatment.

Lukes Racing offers the service and the piston

Luke says "IF the bore is cast iron then the charge for replating and boring is $230. The piston kit is $143. 4597M09500 is standard bore."

Luke offers free shipping (over $50) and there's only a couple of shops that do the Nikasil thing.  For those of you near PA, seems reasonable.

WWW   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #25 - 08/07/09 at 12:19:53

Those stilt shocks make it look like a dirt bike.  Grin

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 08/08/09 at 05:11:52

I would really like to put the new 97mm piston I just got into REX but I will need to send a spare cylinder & the piston to Bore-tech for the rebore and silicone carbide, but money is short right now so will have to wait a bit.
At least the engine was not damaged by the engine stop event just before the Dragon ride.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 08/09/09 at 05:55:30

Duane wrote on 08/07/09 at 12:19:53:
Those stilt shocks make it look like a dirt bike.  Grin

It did make it look high but the extra travel of the shocks and the quality of the shock effect is just great.  
During the rebuild of REX I tried to mount the new fender to minimize the tire-to-fender space so it did not look quite as high.  The replacement front forks I put on also jacked up the front a little so the whole bike is taller.  I may alter the mounting of the bars so I can slide the tubes up through the triple trees, resulting in a lowering of the front.  Will see how it goes when I can get back to working on it.
I have been having a difficult time the past couple of weeks with chronic physical issues which slows everything down.  Such is life.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 21:34:30

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Exhaust port mods, custom exhaust pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.