Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat Mod (Read 9 times)
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Seat Mod
08/29/05 at 15:07:21

I am attempting to do the seat mod on  my '05 S40 with a Gel Seat.

It appears to me that after I raise the front of the seat, and support the middle section, that I am not going to be securing the seat on the sides. Is this correct? How does the seat stay stable if this is so. If not, How do I go about making the changes so I can use the side mounts as well.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Seat Mod
Reply #1 - 08/29/05 at 17:45:53

The seat pan is flexable so you should be able to press down on the seat above the side mounts to make the holes line up. If that doesn't work stack some washers under the side mounts on the seat, use more on the rear screws to get the mounts to align properly. Try different setups till everything lines up and goes together, it might take a couple trys till it is right. I just put a '05 gel seat on my '02 and it took a couple trys to get it right.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #2 - 08/29/05 at 18:03:49

I wasn't sure if the seat pan was flexable enough. I guess I am just paranoid. I was apprehensive about breaking the pan. I will post when I have completed it. Now I just have to find the correct screws. The ones I got had the wrong thread patterns. Yet another trip the the toy store (home depot).

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #3 - 08/31/05 at 05:00:36

I finally got the parts and did the modification. All I can say is WOW! what a differance it made. I used the rubber stpppers (#7) drilled out for the spacers to raise the front mount. I also used rubber stoppers (#6) glues to the rubber bumpers toward the front of the seat for support. I carved out the smaller spacers to fit around the frame. I was also pleasantly  supprised to see that the side mounts lined up easily (as I was previously told) and the seat is fully secured.  This definatly should be a factory change to the seat.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELP DESIGN THIS MOD!

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #4 - 08/31/05 at 09:42:05

I too did this mod, with great results.  However, I couldn't find these rubber stoppers everyone speaks of.  I ended up just using metal washers.

Can someone point me in the direction of where i can find the rubber stoppers?  i think that would work out much better.

Thanks!
-Neil

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/31/05 at 09:50:28

Ace hardware

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #6 - 08/31/05 at 14:22:13

I bought mine at Lowe's Home center. They have an isle with drawers full of this type of stuff.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/01/05 at 07:37:59

I got mine at Home Depot...same deal as Lowe's...they're in a drawer, back with the screws and stuff.

Tom

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/01/05 at 10:57:00

I used a hard rubber- strips used for installing windows. My boyfriend works for a commercial glass company. had a long strip and just cut it into 1 inch squares. work well!

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/01/05 at 19:09:01

or you can use the rubber bushings that they use on some truck and car shocks.  They are the the perfect size and already have a hole in them.  Got mine free from a custom truck shop, used ones that they were gonna throw away.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 02:15:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.