Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't want to sell the savage but.... (Read 4 times)
Colo_Hack
Ex Member

Don't want to sell the savage but....
08/28/05 at 00:42:54

I'm to friggin tall. I've done all the beginner mods. I'm at the point that I either build this thing or sell it. What else can I do to sit farther back on the bike? Is there a good seat / handle bar combo that will give me better leg position? Not afraid to rip the bike down and do serious mods for a better ride.
Hack

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Don't want to sell the savage but....
Reply #1 - 08/28/05 at 01:35:02

If you have long legs, you need to add forward controls. That will give you the legroom you need. They're not cheap...

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #2 - 08/28/05 at 04:21:25

I'm 6'1" and without my highway pegs (homebrew) I could not ride for any distance. Now I can go all day. Also changed to different handlebars with socket risers.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/28/05 at 04:36:50

I'm 6'1" & it has always felt cramped to me too. I cut the hump out of the seat & put the cover back on. BIG difference! Very comfortable postion now but, the padding is thin back there & I get a sore butt on a short ride.
So now, I'm going up, not back. I'm adding 2" of foam rubber padding to sit higher & I'll take it for a test ride this afternoon. I'd like to add about 4" of padding but that might look odd. Got some black vinyl to cover it.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 08/28/05 at 07:45:12

Tall people have it tough when it comes to a lot of things.  You have trouble finding clothes, you sit in a chair and your feet stick out, you are denied many things that shorter people take for granted.

The Savage is one.  While it is a great little bike it is a great little bike.  If you are 5'2" the Savage is a perfect fit.  At 5'8" I feel that I'm at the upper edge for total comfort.  At 6'2" you need more room -- there is no way to avoid that fact.

There are several ways to get more room:

Move the controls forward.  Move the seat back.  Get a different bike.

Nightrain made forward controls just before going with plan C, selling.  He removed but included the controls in the sale - you might try contacting the buyer, Wally according to what I posted on the Map.

You can bob the rear and extend the seat back.  Look at the saddle on Jesse Ray's bike.

The ideal option, IMO, is to follow WD and find someone who can stretch the Savage's frame.  A bit of a project; but you would have a Thumper that fits.

If all else fails, you can exercise option C and sell.  Not because you want to, but because it just doesn't fit.  (Which, BTW, is the same reason I do not have an Automag -- sometimes being smaller is not good.)

What counts in being fully at ease in the wind; relaxed, comfortable, in control, enjoying the ride whether it is purely for fun or commuting to work.  If you need a different Ride than a Savage to do so that's the breaks in life.

Of course, even if you do get a new Ride you don't have to sell the Savage -- that simply lets you ride while you work on it.  You have to admit that that big single Thumping along is a blast.  And, IMO, looks so much better than a twin -- especially in a chopper.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 07:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Don't want to sell the savage but....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.