Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does the savage use oil? (Read 11 times)
roughrider
Ex Member

Does the savage use oil?
08/27/05 at 19:39:13

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on this. I wanted to know if the savage uses oil. I was told by a mechanic that the savage uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles? Is this true? He said it was common for a single cylinder?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Does the savage use oil?
Reply #1 - 08/27/05 at 19:45:52

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on this. I wanted to know if the savage uses oil. I was told by a mechanic that the savage uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles? Is this true? He said it was common for a single cylinder?

Mine doesn't.  Many Savages have a known issue with a plug in the cylinder head that begins to leak oil after some time in use.  It's not under pressure so it's a seepage issue.  They corrected it around the 2002 model year, I believe.  It's a $6 part and isn't to hard to replace but not without its frustrations (I broke a bolt on mine while doing this).  However, I thought yours was a newer bike, so that should not be an issue.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #2 - 08/27/05 at 19:54:33

Mine certainly doesn't. I go oil change to oil change without  needing to add.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/27/05 at 21:05:36

I have an '87 with 15K miles on it, and it doesn't use oil (well other than the leaks). Every couple hundred miles I put about an ounce of oil to recover what leaked out.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 08/28/05 at 00:04:15

Lightwieght oil in 100 plus degree weather will caus it to use oil like nobody would believe. 2 quarts in under an hour at a mid-summer rally in central MS. Other than that, if your piston rings have properly bedded in, it should use little to no oil in regular service. BUT, since there is no such thing as a perfectly sealed engine, some oil usage should be considered normal.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 08/28/05 at 09:16:34

If You are somewhere with a high temperatures in  80's and You ride in 50-55 mph range and You use 20W-50 oil - no problem- very low oil consumption.
If You are in TX or NM or Az , You put the recommended  10W-40 oil and You ride on the hwy- You better check your oil daily or at least weekly.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/28/05 at 10:08:28

my 2001 doesnt use oil ..well very little between changes I havent ever had to top it off. I live on the Illinois side north of St. louis so we dont hit 105 but 98'99  insnt uncommon  I run 10w40 Valvoline Dura Blend  never had problems

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 08/28/05 at 11:04:29

My '01 has 5k miles.

Seems to use about 4 oz. of oil per 1000 miles.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #8 - 08/28/05 at 11:47:26

never had to top up between oil changes  Smiley

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 08/28/05 at 12:18:52

A quart of oil every 1000 miles sounds excessive, after all an oil change is only 2 quarts for one of these bikes. My '02 seems to be using an ounce or two every 100 miles.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 08/28/05 at 14:00:19

Well, as to oil useage, I've had my '03 for 2 years now and at 4300 kms (2700mi) my Savage hasn't used a drop of oil (weekly checks) ... and I've changed my oil twice a season ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 08/28/05 at 15:20:48

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If You are in TX or NM or Az , You put the recommended  10W-40 oil and You ride on the hwy- You better check your oil daily or at least weekly.

I'm in Dallas and using 15W50 synthetic riding about 150 miles a week without a need to top off.  I suppose the heavier oil helps a lot.  I changed the oil yesterday after 4 months and drained slightly over 2 quarts.

Note: I finally installed the magnetic drain plug.  We'll see what it picks up at the next change.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #12 - 08/28/05 at 15:35:10

My '05 does not use oil, changed 2x and each time just a little over 2 quarts out which is what went in.  Smiley

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Dr_D
2005 No Login

30 bikes in 39 years

Jarvis, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 08/28/05 at 18:18:23

1998 model, 30,000km, use 20w50, never had to add even a spoonful between changes. My Triumph was the same, until I started using a fully synthetic. It started leaking out of everywhere except the handle bars. LOL. Too thin at temp I guess. Gonna go back to dino juice.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 08/28/05 at 18:33:49

Mine does not use oil - 04.

From your posts it really sounds like you need to find a new mechanic/dealership.

Incidently, when I asked my mechanic about the white spacer mod (they already knew about drilling out and adjusting the idle mixture) he looked it up on schematics and decided that it made sense if you wanted the bike to run richer in the range affected.

Since my bike doesn't afterfire or backfire unless I reallly try to make if happen and even then not all the time, I haven't tried the spacer mod or new jets. The idle mix is adjusted. I have some mild bluing (light brown really), but other than that my bike has run fine from the get go. I would only try other modifications if I thought it would keep the MPG the same or improve while improving the ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 04:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does the savage use oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.