Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White spacer and jets (Read 3 times)
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
White spacer and jets
08/26/05 at 21:12:24

Put 2 #4 washers in place of white spacer. Put in 152.5 main jet.  What a difference. I'm riding a differnet bike!!!!
96 with HD pipe, 2#4 washers in place of white spacer, went from 145 to 152.5 main!!!
Ride on!!

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: White spacer and jets
Reply #1 - 08/27/05 at 03:52:21

Cool

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 08/27/05 at 04:26:27

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
What a difference. I'm riding a different bike!!!!

It really does make a huge difference. Glad you got it dialed in nicely. Have fun.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 08/27/05 at 15:44:39

Sounds right, I've been using the same setup for over a year and love it. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/27/05 at 17:35:19

Same here!  Except it seemed to me the washers were a little tight in the hole so I ground the white washer down to the same thickness.  Anyone else notice that when they put in their washers?  I remember someone said they shaved the outer diameter of theirs down.

Just want to make sure noone ends up with a needle stuck fairly open....... Wink

IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/27/05 at 19:06:42

rkutzer, What did you use to grind down the white spacer. Getting ready to try this on mine. Do I need to change the mains on a 05? will the spacer mod. be enough?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/27/05 at 19:40:27

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
rkutzer, What did you use to grind down the white spacer. Getting ready to try this on mine. Do I need to change the mains on a 05? will the spacer mod. be enough?

I can't answer the spacer question but I'd probably just take it down to a hardware store and pick up a brass or stainless washer the same size but about half to two-thirds the thickness.  On the point of rejetting.  To reduce the backfiring, the main two things are the idle mixture adjustment (a recessed screw on the right-hand side of the carb that might be under a small metal cap with a dab of paint on it) along with the needle adjustment (spacer thickness).  Upsizing the main jet is very much recommended but not for the backfiring issue.  It will enrich your top end, improving power and speed.  And in terms of ease and expense, it's really a no-brainer.  A jet costs about $3 and can be picked up at a HD dealer (yes, they use Mikuni carbs on some of those "American" bikes).  Actually replacing it is quite simple.  Drop the bottom off the carb.  The jet looks like a brass screw.  Take it out and replace it.  Don't lose the brass washer.  In fact, put a cloth over the starter area as it's a known black hole for small parts.  When you put it back together, use stainless allen screws instead of the original philips screws.  They make future access a breeze.  I think you'll really be amazed at how different the bike will be after you correct its primary known deficiencies.  One of the things we like so much about this bike is its relative simplicity.  It is much easier to wrench on than most others available today... although adjusting the valves would be easier if I had skinnier fingers.  If you've never done this stuff before, this is the perfect bike to learn with.  Single-cylinder, air cooled, carburated, belt driven... it's the VW Beetle of bikes.  Good luck with it!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 08/27/05 at 21:09:40

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

I sanded down an extra white spacer I got from the dealer with very fine sand paper on a very flat surface. I reduced it 50 percent. I measured with a micrometer, but a good ruler should do fine.

Remove stuck/stipped screws (the screws are soft and very tight) carefully with pointy vice grips and replace all the bowl and diaphram cover screws with stainless steel allen heads from the hardware store. Tape the needle holder screws to a screwdriver with electrical tape for easy insertion.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 08/28/05 at 05:06:18

I managed to lose my jets when I was tidying the garage.
I just received replacements yesterday so now have:-
165,168,170,172,175 mainjets and
190,192,195,198,200 main air jets.
At the mo I'm running 168/192 but I'm thinking of going to 170/195 next.
All good fun.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 03:19:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White spacer and jets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.