Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ticking noise at full throttle (Read 4 times)
Dan
Ex Member

Ticking noise at full throttle
08/26/05 at 18:28:04

I just added a K&N drop in filter and have an 87 (which already comes with a 155 main jet in the carb and no spacers to worry about.

When I added the filter I adjusted the mixture screw out 1.5 turns, and it doesn't backfire much with it there.  What does happen though, is that at full throttle (and I mean full...), there is an irregular ticking in the engine that immediately subsides if I let of the throttle.  

Is this a noise related to not having enough "outflow" for my new inflow?  A problem with too much or little gas?  A spark issue (I still haven't replaced the plug with one of the iridium plugs I read about)?  Something worse?  Embarrassed

I am planning to get a new carb (LANCER VARIETY), but want to make sure I am not feeding a serious problem w/ non-necessary accessories.

HELP THE NEW GUY!!!

IP Logged
Dan
Ex Member

Re: Ticking noise at full throttle
Reply #1 - 08/26/05 at 18:54:41

BTW,  I am adding a Sportster muffler (that will be here on Monday) so the outflow issue will hopefully be resolved (mostly).

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 08/27/05 at 09:34:27

Don't take the jetting like cast in stone. The sizes that work on '96 and newer bikes don't work on '86-'88. If the carb. mod's call for about 2 sizes bigger main jet, You have to go according Your main jet size, especially if You intend to put HD exhaust. I think the sound You are hearing is a sign of very hot running caused by lean mixture on the top end. I'd suggest 160-162.5 main jet.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 08/27/05 at 09:45:19

Dan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I just added a K&N drop in filter and have an 87 (which already comes with a 155 main jet in the carb and no spacers to worry about.

When I added the filter I adjusted the mixture screw out 1.5 turns, and it doesn't backfire much with it there.  What does happen though, is that at full throttle (and I mean full...), there is an irregular ticking in the engine that immediately subsides if I let of the throttle.  

Is this a noise related to not having enough "outflow" for my new inflow?  A problem with too much or little gas?  A spark issue (I still haven't replaced the plug with one of the iridium plugs I read about)?  Something worse?  Embarrassed

I am planning to get a new carb (LANCER VARIETY), but want to make sure I am not feeding a serious problem w/ non-necessary accessories.

HELP THE NEW GUY!!!  

Are you talking about WOT with the bike sitting still or are you riding it when you hear this?  Where does it come from?

BTW - You can never have a different inflow and outflow.  One of them always limits the other.  Even if you increase the flow "potential" with the K&N it will only flow what the exhaust will allow.  If your muffler is stock, the K&N probably didn't increase it much.....but the K&N is reusable and that is a plus anyway.

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/27/05 at 18:43:43

Mine does it too,  could it just be noisy valves?

IP Logged
Dan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/28/05 at 06:43:07

This only happens during hard acceleration.  I can't get it to happen in neutral while throttling.  It is only on the hardest acceleration, other than that, I haven't heard it.

It does seem to be below the tank, but it is hard to say for certain, as I don't like (feel really comfortable) putting my head out to the side of the bike when  I am accelerating hard.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/28/05 at 06:59:07

This only happens during hard acceleration.  I can't get it to happen in neutral while throttling.  It is only on the hardest acceleration, other than that, I haven't heard it.

It does seem to be below the tank, but it is hard to say for certain, as I don't like (feel really comfortable) putting my head out to the side of the bike when  I am accelerating hard.

Without a little more to go on, the only thing that I can suggest would be some routine maintenance.  Adjust the valves, change the plug, check the decompression lever, and change the oil.  Check all nuts and bolts for tightness.  Sometimes when doing that routine stuff you will find a problem or fix it by accident.

IP Logged
Dan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/28/05 at 07:37:42

I am planning to replace the plug, etc. at the same time as I put on a new carb from Lancer.  "Checking the Valves, etc.":  is that difficult to do?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 08/28/05 at 07:44:41

I am planning to replace the plug, etc. at the same time as I put on a new carb from Lancer.  "Checking the Valves, etc.":  is that difficult to do?

It is a bit of a PITA, but if you are patient with maintenance things, it's no big deal.  It is real simple to do with the engine sitting on a bench, if that tells you anything  Shocked

Do you have a manual?  Don't even begin without one.

IP Logged
Dan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/28/05 at 09:04:34

Yes, I have the Clymer and the original manual.  I get the idea about checking valves, etc. though... Smiley  Hopefully some of the smaller items will fix the problem.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 08/28/05 at 17:38:01

Maybe the noise you hear is the belt ticking under WOT. If it is not doing it when standing still it sounds like it could be a drivetrain noise, just a thought.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 08/28/05 at 19:43:57

Feed it some premium fuel and see if changes, if it's hot where you are it may be a good old fashion ping.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 03:35:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ticking noise at full throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.