Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
nasty motor noise (Read 3 times)
Kevin Stumpe

nasty motor noise
08/24/05 at 18:21:18

Hi, all!  I'm not a Savage owner (yet), but I'd like to be. I came close tonight, in looking at a 1998 with less than 2500 miles, but the motor had some strange hammering noises coming from somewhere within. It didn't sound like rod noises (clunking irregularly) or piston slapping, but a persistent hammering, that increased both in speed and volume as the RPM went up. There was nary a sound at idle. When I started it the motor hammered for a couple of seconds and then stopped as if the oil pressure was enough to calm things down, but once it warmed up, the noise came back as it came off of idle. Another thing that worried me was the exhaust system (all the way to the muffler outlet) was varying shades of yellow and blue. This thing must have gotten pretty hot sometime in the past.
I know the bottom end of most Suzuki's are fairly stout and probably over-engineered, so I doubt the crank end of things are toast, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong with this thing? It looks like new and if it weren't for the  noise I'd probably have bought it on the spot. As it is, I feel like I should run away from this bike as fast as I can.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Re: nasty motor noise
Reply #1 - 08/24/05 at 20:47:33

this will sound dumb but... oil level?  the 650 is gonna have some noise and vibe cause its a huge single but nothing that could be considered excessive. As far as the yellow and blue my 2001 was blue at 2600 miles its just thin metal on the header pipe and relatively inexpensive chrome plating. almost every savage I've seen has had a blue header pipe ..  could  be header gasket or from runnin too lean or  I asked the same question also

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 08/25/05 at 11:33:40

well - if the price is right and you don't mind wrenching on it a great deal - it might be a very good buy - but with an unknown hammering internal - I sure wouldn't give um much - not over 1k.

Man without hearing it ... be tough - I understand if the cam adjuster rail breaks for instance - it can make a he77 of a sound with parts banging around against the cam chain - this would track rpm's without a dead broke engine - like say bobos fixer up that had a value head drop onto the piston - big noise and bang busted.

IP Logged
Kevin Stumpe

Reply #3 - 08/26/05 at 12:19:52

Thanks, guys. I ended up passing on that one.  In the ancient past I once was a Suzuki (and Yamaha and Honda) mechanic, but I didn't want to takle a job like that one.  Iam picking up an 86 GS450 to sharpen up my dormant riding skills, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the next Savage to come along.

Thanks again

IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/26/05 at 21:47:47

The noise your hearing in the savage motor is typical for this bike after it heats up. Its a air cooled bike so the interparts expand when the bike gets hot. The excessive heating in the motor causes changes in the clearance which wears down the parts quicker. This is what your hearing parts touching other parts and wearing them down.This is why your having to adjust the valves more frequently during the HOT summer months.This isn't a real problem any other seaon of the year when the temperture is more moderate and less hot. I have a new 05 and it does exactaly as you stated. My mechanic says that this is really not a commuter bike for long distance travel. Its a urban bike for short trips to the store or something simple like that. The bike sells real well because it's made cheap. The exhaust can also heat up enough on these bikes to crack. It has on mine. I have to question some of the folks in here who brag about there 200 mile trips. Hope there bike can hold up to there expectations. I guess if they don't there still cheap enough to buy another one.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #5 - 08/26/05 at 22:00:41

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The noise your hearing in the savage is typical for this bike after it heats up. I have a new 05 and it does exactaly as you stated. My mechanic says that this is really not a commuter bike for long distance travel. Its a urban bike for short trips to the store or something. The exhaust can heat up enough on these bikes to crack. It has on mine. I have to question some of the folks in here who brag about 200 mile trips. Hope there bike can hold up to there expectations.

UndecidedI would question the mechanic telling you this and also question the teenager who put your bike together.  Something was not done right with YOUR bike.  Mine came from the STEALERSHIP with loose axle bolts, had a horrible wobble. And my most recent trip to the mechanic left my rear brake spring on the peddle unattached.  My '05 runs great, very little backfire, no strange engine noise and it does just fine on the interstate at a good clip. I am afraid YOUR experience is rare and SOME mechanics are not bike gods. Smiley

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/26/05 at 22:03:30

RoughRider - Yes, I rode the bike 200 miles yesterday, and another 125 today.  It ran fine both days.  Actually, it was better today, since I installed a new SE muffler.

Whatever is wrong with the bike Kevin looked at is not typical of these bikes.  Read the archives & you'll see that.  

I'm in Baltimore, MD.  Drop by and I'll let you follow me around.  Bring your gas card - so far I've only been riding half-days.

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #7 - 08/27/05 at 04:20:52

I regulary go on 80-100 mile rides with no problems,
but there again the climate in the UK is cooler than many parts of the USA.... Sad

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 08/27/05 at 04:22:22

DavidV wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
RoughRider - Yes, I rode the bike 200 miles yesterday, and another 125 today.  It ran fine both days.  Actually, it was better today, since I installed a new SE muffler.

Whatever is wrong with the bike Kevin looked at is not typical of these bikes.  Read the archives & you'll see that.  

I rode my '03 300 miles in one day during the heat of summer. It did fine. No noises. No cracked exhaust pipes. In fact the bike did really well. Aside from a sore @ss, everything was great.

From what I've read here, the original poster was probably hearing a busted cam chain follower.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 21:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › nasty motor noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.