Send Topic Print
Mystery oil spillage (Read 12 times)
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Mystery oil spillage
08/14/05 at 00:25:06

Last night while moving the Savage around in my garage, the kickstand folded on me and the bike fell over into some boxes, so it didn't go quite all the way dow, nothing damaged, nothing bent. However, when I righted it and put it back on it's stand, there was a puddle of oil. Oil cap is tight -  where is this coming from? ???
Thanks
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Mystery oil spillage
Reply #1 - 08/14/05 at 07:06:34

If your engine is clean you should see where the oil came from,but if your engine is always dirty from leaky oil , it could be the oil plug in the head,if its leaking, oil can lay in all the nooks and crannies of the head,and when it fell over that oil came out,also check breather tube to make sure its secure, and check the gaskets.

maybe some gods will help you!

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 08/14/05 at 09:02:03

Under the air filter box there is a drenage hose, that is  supposed to have a cap in the end. If You don't drain the air box on a regular bases , You start having a small oil reservoir , full of dirty oil. I think the hose got disconected or brocken and this oil spilled out.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #3 - 08/14/05 at 14:13:57

Engine is clean, appears to have come from the valve timing inspection cover, which I can't budge with the largest screwdriver or even a jackhandle I have. Why would oil be coming from there? ???
Thanks again
Ike Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #4 - 08/14/05 at 18:26:01

there is a o-ring on the valve inspection cover.someone might have put the wrong size on if your not the origanal owner,also the o-ring might have gotten pinched between the threds,making it hard to unscrew.
Try a hammer and punch(or screwdriver)to tap it loose
be gentle while doing this but it should work.

Remember righty tighty,lefty loosy Grin

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #5 - 08/15/05 at 23:27:58

Got the cover off, o-ring looks intact, if I run it with cover off, I get blowback, is this normal? Motor starts easily and quickly, no smoke, Help???
Ike

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #6 - 08/17/05 at 17:30:18

Compression tests good, plug is clean, bike runs good. Is the pressure or blowback coming from the timing inspection hole (cover off) normal?
Thanks
Ike ???

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 08/17/05 at 18:12:57

I would think so this single piston pushes a lot of air out of the way going down that on a multicylinder would mostly move over to another hole - let me go see.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 08/17/05 at 18:18:43

d@mn yes, and oil mist

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 08/17/05 at 18:41:31

Doesn't read to me like you have anything wrong. As Slavy suggests - did you drain hose under the air box? - little black plastic plug you pull out to do so.

Just on a side note - I've always thought we could cool single cylinder 4-strokes a lot with a couple of PCV or reed valves by pullin fresh air in say at the oil filler cap (take that off and start it!) and pushing air out the head breather hose - need to really filter inbound air of course. As designed the air moves back and forth in the breather hose to the airbox. - may give it go one of these days.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #10 - 08/17/05 at 21:33:06

early auto engines(20s 30s 40s 50s)used a draft tube(a pipe attached to crankcase extended into air flow beneath the vehicle) the oil filler cap was filled with steelwool, air movement past tube end created a vacumn in crankcase drawing filtered air through cap.OH, HOW SIMPLE! EPA put a stop to that,born the PCV. (positive crank vent) always drips of oil out of that tube as the air carried oil mist and vapors(HCs) out of engine. Bill aka diesel.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 08/17/05 at 22:08:38

For sure - worked on my share of pre '68 (Best I remember that was the first PCV regulated) - but the single is unique in that it's as good of a crankcase air pump as it is internal combustion - make a fair air compressor on the bottom end.  

Best one remember was a  '63 or so falcon 170ci may a been a 140ci i-6 that would puff enough smoke out that tube when the rings were shot to leave a trail on the ground like a smoke snake  

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #12 - 08/17/05 at 22:39:45

About '80,  bought a nice black w/ red int.  '62 2-Dr. Hardtop Impala, slushbox, (I still remember the little whine that the frt pump made in park), and  freshened 327,...smoothest ride I ever had. It  had a draft tube  Grin
I am pretty sure my ol' ' 54 Chevy truck had one too... but the '62 was a much nicer ride.

diesel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
early auto engines(20s 30s 40s 50s)used a draft tube...

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 08/17/05 at 22:48:06

Oh yes front pumps and rear - an automatic you could pull start!

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 08/17/05 at 23:05:37

Never had to, it was a great car, I wish I still had it.
It was about 25 years ago, I had just put on a set of Crager SS w/ the spinners and we went to the U.S. Nats in it that year. The paint was original and faded, so what Jesse James & the Kalifornia Kids now call "Suede black" I had 25 years ago! But the sheet metal was perfectly straight and so was the interior... It replaced my '68 Fury III 2-Dr.  Grin another one I wish I still had.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:32:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mystery oil spillage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.