Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Couple "quick" questions... (Read 3 times)
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Couple "quick" questions...
08/11/05 at 21:00:31

Just got a new Boulevard S40.  Since the initial 600 mile service, about 150 miles ago, I've noticed a discoloration of the header pipes.  After a little research, I found that discoloration is mainly due to "tuning characteristics, cam timing, carburetor jetting, overheating, and so forth, and is NOT caused by defective manufacturing."  Do you guys know any way I could figure out why I'm havinbg this problem?  Any troubleshooting I could do to find the culprit?  I've read a few of the articles on jetting and exhaust systems, but I may not be that handy.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I have been having problems down shifting.  Things get a little soft and the bike refuses to down shift.  I had the same problem on my Father's bike, also a Suzuki, so I'm assuming it's something I'm doing, shifting late or something.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for your help!!!

Dave

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Re: Couple "quick" questions...
Reply #1 - 08/11/05 at 22:11:24

The carb is tuned lean from the factory, so the pipes will discolor.  Read through the archives and you'll see how to fix that.  Maybe an afternoon's work, and a few dollars for new jets.  A lot of local motorcycle shops will have the jets in stock.  Do the white spacer mod, re-jet, and adjust the idle mixture.  It's not a big deal.  And you get some power for your trouble.

IP Logged
chriss

Reply #2 - 08/12/05 at 01:33:02

when i first bought my 02 savage, i took it too the dealer complaining about the popping sounds. they told me it was too lean and removed the plug ont he carberator that adjusts the richness of the bike and set it a bit richer than factory settings. it still pops sometimes but i now have 11,000 miles on the bike and my header pipe is still bright chrome even at the head. take it back to the dealer and ask them to do it for you. they didnt charge me a cent.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 08/12/05 at 05:09:25

Looks like the carb/pipe stuff is covered - on the shifting - make sure the clutch cable free play is correct - you measure the gap at the clutch lever and holder before the clutch moves - the book says 3mm or .12 in

and you are down shifting before you stop right?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 08/12/05 at 06:54:28

Just a "SWAG" (scientific wild-a$$ guess)... It's hot out and your dealer put in the factory recommended 10W40 semi-synthetic. Take it back or change the oil out yourself for 15W40 or 20W50. New filter, 2 quarts of oil and 10 minutes of your time. The factory stuff is too thin north of the Mason-Dixon in the summer, and in Dixie most of the year. If you're in Europe, use your best judgement, lived in Spain 10 years ago but don't remember the rest of the continent's weather patterns.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 08/12/05 at 09:18:25

I sure agree on the 20w50 in this 78f to 100f daily range here.

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 08/12/05 at 11:13:51

Thanks guys!!!  That help's alot!  I'll try to change the oil myself, but I think I'm going back to the dealer for the Carb mods.  Will these modifications void the warranty?  I paid for the extra two years and if it will, I'm going to sell it back.  I'm also going to replace the muffler.  I found a Dyno Power 13/4" Turn-Out that's supposed tp fit the 2005 S40.  Anyone have any experience with it?  Anyway, thanks for the help, gotta richen the mixture and change the oil.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 08/12/05 at 13:46:44

and check that clutch cable free play

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/12/05 at 13:57:13

Forgot that one, thanks!  Anyone know where to find any aftermarket mufflers?  I've been having a rough time.  The Dyno Power Turn-Out is sold out at J&P Cylces.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/12/05 at 14:08:00

Here's the MAC muffler, if you're interested.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 08/12/05 at 15:56:07

and many places carry the Jardine # 14-4104-01 - course folks seem to like the Harley Scream'n Eagle slipon as well

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 08/12/05 at 18:31:55

Probert31 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Also, I have been having problems down shifting.  Things get a little soft and the bike refuses to down shift.  I had the same problem on my Father's bike, also a Suzuki, so I'm assuming it's something I'm doing, shifting late or something.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for your help!!!

Dave

I fooled around with the shifting on the way home on the '95 and then took the '02 out trying the same thing - they both will feel a bit soft and not downshift proper if you do not let the shift lever come all the way back up - so try this - as you down shift take your foot off the lever after each gear change and see if that helps - if not try letting clutch out a bit between each down shift.

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 08/12/05 at 19:53:36

Thanks agian to everyone for their help!!  Really quick and to the point.  Probably the best forum out there on any topic!!  I'm going to change the oil this weekend and vary my shifting pattern as suggested,  including an inspection of the clutch cable free play.  I'm still a little nervous about the whole rejetting and spacer things.  I'll probably stop by the dealer to see if they'll do that part, not that they seemed very interested before though.  If I do try to change the jets, how do I know what's already there?  I've read the specs in the other posts and assume the Mikuni BS40 in my bike has the same #145 main jet as the 2004 Savage but will I need to change all the jets or just the main?  Do I need a specific package or just ask for a compatible #155 jet?  Thanks again!!

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 08/12/05 at 20:53:43

I have 05 S40. I did the 1/2 spacer mod, air screw adjusted to 2 1/2 turn out, and put in the 155 main jet. It runs great on freeway(75+ mph), no backfire, no blueing on the header. I recommend that you at least do these siomple mod first then experiment with other mod later.

Happy tuning!!!

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 08/12/05 at 22:41:00

You really only need to change 1 jet - the Mikuni bs40 on your bike uses the Large round jet - although a small round will work - try to get a large round. A 155 maybe too rich if your exhaust and air intake is still stock and/or your higher than sea level - you might be better off with a 150 or 152.5(most likely) - before you work on the carb bowl put a shop towel over the starter as anything you drop will go into the slot like the brass washer that goes under the jet to hold the needle jet tube in place, the rejet is the easy part - the white spacer is a bit harder to do, lots of words on the site about doing all three - jet, spacer, idle mixture. It really will run like a different bike - haul a$$ in fact once you open up the exhaust and air intake- it takes quite a high tuned v-twin to catch a ls650 up to about 70mph with these changes as most are dragging around about double the weight.  As far as that goes lancer and woodworker have added some more serious engine mods and can most likely beat the v-twins to near 100 when they run out of rpms - can't sling that single piston too fast or it'll come out of there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:29:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Couple "quick" questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.