Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headlight Modulator? (Read 10 times)
Richard Amirault

Headlight Modulator?
08/11/05 at 08:01:12

Anyone using a headlght modulator on the Savage?

I'm seriously thinking about adding one and I wonder who is using what, and what they think of them.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
patj197
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Buffalo, New York
Re: Headlight Modulator?
Reply #1 - 08/11/05 at 09:27:08

I have been using the one from Kisan Tech.  It works great, and I feel much more confident about being seen out on the road.  You can turn it on and off yourself, so you have complete control.  It was so easy to install that I was able to do it myself in a very short time.

IP Logged
Clark

Reply #2 - 08/11/05 at 10:54:04

I also have the Kisan installed direclty in the headlight bucket.  Very easy to do.  It did cut out on me for about a week, but started working again just fine.  I think  I must have had a loose connection.

It really gets you noticed.  Lots of pointing at me on the road by other motorists.  I am assuming it is because of the light and not my fantastic motorcycle.

Clark

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 08/11/05 at 12:53:49

patj197 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I feel much more confident about being seen out on the road.  

do not be lulled into a sense of false security because of a piece of hardware.  no matter what you do you are
[glow=red,2,300]INVISIBLE TO CAGES [/glow] period.
i cant count the times people i know have said, "i don't understand why they didn't see me, i had my lights on".

cage drivers have never been taught how to be aware of motorcycles, thats why all these devices exist.  in my opinion they are a waste of money. nothing beats rider vigilance, and that comes with practice, practice, practice.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
patj197
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Buffalo, New York
Reply #4 - 08/11/05 at 13:54:23

You are so right.  Some drivers wouldn't notice us if we had six police cars and a brass band in front.  I think the headlight modulator is no substitute, but it does help some in being noticed on the road. I  had a truck driver stop next to me and yell out "hey lady, your headlight is blinking!"  Thanks, I was hoping it was.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/11/05 at 14:04:42

That reminds me.  I still need to install mine.  But to the point... I agree that these devices should not be relied upon in any way.  Nonetheless, I'll take whatever edge they might grant me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 08/12/05 at 05:13:03

I,ve got the headlight modulator from Comagination

http://www.comagination.com/default.htm

since a year now. Think I'm better visable ha, ha,. Some people stare at you and just continue, even when I've right of way. Dont know what's the matter with these folks.

Greetz
Kropatchek
Still trying to make myself visable.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/12/05 at 06:30:44

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Some people stare at you and just continue, even when I've right of way.

Just more proof the gene pool needs some chlorine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 08/12/05 at 06:36:07

I prefer to run in stealth mode.  I do not want people to see me.   I want to move to Arizona so I can turn my headlight off.  I prefer to not attact attention, to disapear into the background.  If they don't see me they cannot aim for me.

Safety equipment is meant to make up for a lack of common sense.  It tends to be obtrusive and interfers with the task at hand.  Safety equipment is required because of lawyers suing employeers on behalf of stupid employees.

http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/cowboy.htm

I would rather depend upon myself and my ability to see others than to trust that others will see and avoid hitting me.  My safety is my responsibility, not theirs.

WWW   IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #9 - 08/12/05 at 08:47:47

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
(snip)
Safety equipment is meant to make up for a lack of common sense.  It tends to be obtrusive and interfers with the task at hand.  Safety equipment is required because of lawyers suing employeers on behalf of stupid employees.
(snip)
I would rather depend upon myself and my ability to see others than to trust that others will see and avoid hitting me.  My safety is my responsibility, not theirs.

By that line of reasoning than I assume you would rather not have a stop light, or maybe no turn signals either.

A headlight modulator is just another tool in the arsenal of weapons to keep our selves (and our bikes) safe.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 08/12/05 at 09:11:57

You asked for my opinion.  I gave it.  If you wanted only lauding of modulated lights you should have said so in the first place.

The brake light is to tell people behind me that I am braking.  The turn signals that I intend to turn.  Without these signal lights I may use hand gestures to communicate my intentions to others.  In both cases my intentions cannot be know without the communication.

That I exist is evident without the added lights.  Or flashy lights.  The sole purpose of a headlight modulator it to distract and annoy people to let them know "I'm Here!"  

This morning as I was driving my van from the barn to my work location I was being followed by a motorbike with a bright annoying headlight.  The light was so annoying that it was distracting me from my forward vision.  So I knocked my mirror to stop the distraction.  

The light accomplished the opposite of it's intended purpose as I stopped watching and caring where that bike was.

I do not assume that I am unique.  If it annoys me it will annoy others and cause resentment toward motrocylists in general.  I will not do that.

In my opinion, my personal safety is 100% my responsibility.   I do not expect others to see me.  I do not assume that they see me until and unless I see them physically reacting to my presence.

In my opinion, modulated lights cause more harm than good -- FOR ME.  I do not depend upon others to be alert drivers/riders.  

Your mileage may vary.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 08/12/05 at 11:24:19

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
By that line of reasoning than I assume you would rather not have a stop light, or maybe no turn signals either.

A headlight modulator is just another tool in the arsenal of weapons to keep our selves (and our bikes) safe.

as a matter of fact the very first thing i did was strip the signals off. my state does not require them.

i'm with paladin on this one. people get a false sense of security using these types of devices.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #12 - 08/12/05 at 17:33:12

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You asked for my opinion.  I gave it.  If you wanted only lauding of modulated lights you should have said so in the first place.

The brake light is to tell people behind me that I am braking.  The turn signals that I intend to turn.  Without these signal lights I may use hand gestures to communicate my intentions to others.  In both cases my intentions cannot be know without the communication.

That I exist is evident without the added lights.  Or flashy lights.  The sole purpose of a headlight modulator it to distract and annoy people to let them know "I'm Here!"  

This morning as I was driving my van from the barn to my work location I was being followed by a motorbike with a bright annoying headlight.  The light was so annoying that it was distracting me from my forward vision.  So I knocked my mirror to stop the distraction.  

The light accomplished the opposite of it's intended purpose as I stopped watching and caring where that bike was.

I do not assume that I am unique.  If it annoys me it will annoy others and cause resentment toward motrocylists in general.  I will not do that.

In my opinion, my personal safety is 100% my responsibility.   I do not expect others to see me.  I do not assume that they see me until and unless I see them physically reacting to my presence.

In my opinion, modulated lights cause more harm than good -- FOR ME.  I do not depend upon others to be alert drivers/riders.  

Your mileage may vary.

I asked for your opionion, but I reserve the right to question your opionion and/or try to understand your reasoning.

You say " I do not expect others to see me." so does that mean that every time you signal (by hand or by stoplight) you are stopping that you brake slowly and watch (for the complete stop) in your rear view mirror to see that the vehicle behind you is stopping? Do you do this every time, or do you ever assume/expect that the vehicle will stop?

Anyway .. I agree that a headlight modulator could very well annoy other drivers. It is a concern of mine as well.

In many safety books we are told not to use our high beams during daylight especially when following closely another vehicle. YET, the headlight modulator is supposed to be used on the high beam.

I don't know how long they have been legal, but for as long as I have been driving I have NEVER seen a bike with one of these.

If after I install one of these I decide it is would be better (in the short, or long term) not to use it .. all I have to do is select my low beam.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #13 - 08/12/05 at 17:55:56

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
...You say " I do not expect others to see me." so does that mean that every time you signal (by hand or by stoplight) you are stopping that you brake slowly and watch (for the complete stop) in your rear view mirror to see that the vehicle behind you is stopping? Do you do this every time....

Signal lights, brake and turn, are a courtesy to others.  I try to be a courteous driver/rider.   On the other hand, I do not trust others to be courteous nor honest.

As I drive I check my rear roughly every three seconds.  If someone is hot on my tail I do not stop, fast or otherwise.  I generally do not allow anyone to ride my tail, I will pull away, switch lanes, slow and pull over, whatever it takes to get them off me.  If someone is behind me when I am stopping I do watch them to see if they are also stopping.

Being human, no, I do not do this every time.  But since it is a 30+ year old habit I definitely do it better than 90% of the time.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:56:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight Modulator?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.