Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
500 mile checkup (Read 2 times)
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

500 mile checkup
08/08/05 at 11:17:53

So I just bought my bike a couple of weeks ago and am just about to hit the 500 mile mark. The dealer told me that it is important to get it checked out after that initial break in period. Which from what I've read on here seems to hold true. But here's my dilemma. The dealership is gonna charge me 150 bucks to do the checkup. Now I'm fairly handy with a wrench, but I've never worked on a bike before. I've kept a 1963 studebaker hawk running for the past 4 years (which is no small task), so I'm pretty sure I could handle most of what the bike can throw at me. Is it worth the 150 bucks to have a "proffessional" look at it... or should I just grab a Clymer shop manual and go for it?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: 500 mile checkup
Reply #1 - 08/08/05 at 13:22:20

If you have a warranty, it may be worth paying the dealership to do it.  If not, and you are comfortable with your skills, spend the money on chrome or beer. just my 2 cents, worth about 1/20th a cent.  Me, I'm cheap; the only thing I'll let the dealership do is put on a tire.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #2 - 08/08/05 at 17:35:09

The first one is very important!!! The main thing is changing the oil & filter, gets the metal and assembly oils out of the engine before they start working against it. Otherwise it's just checking valve clearance, belt condition and tightness, spokes for tightness, bolts torqued to proper specs., cable routing, fluid levels, tire wear for alignment issues, brake adjustment and visual check of pads, basically, things you should be doing ocassionally anyways. This is what I do for the first service at the dealership I work at. If you're handy with a wrench, taking it to the dealer is probably just putting money in their pocket.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 08/08/05 at 20:08:38

The first service is basicaly an oil change. The most complicated part is to check and adjust the valves. If You know how to do it, don't waste money. If You don't know how to adjust the valves, better lurn how, because there will be many valve checks and adjustments ahead.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/09/05 at 18:24:09

Take a few hours to take off the tank and adjust the valves.  After the first adjustment at 500 miles, I just did it again in an hour at 2000 miles......and will do it every 4000 miles from here on out.  That hour was 'taking my time'.  Here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

Remove seat (2 bolts on side, one in back)

Remove Gas line at petcock, rubber vacuum line from petcock at the other side of the bike, and the speedo connection at the crankcase.

Remove tank (2 bolts in back, one white connector up front....pull up in the back and slide back and to the left a hair.)

Remove Big Disk on left of crankcase (Big washer in a pair of vise grips works well).  Line up mark with notch in crankcase (at 3 oclock).    
Check if there is a gap at the valve adjustment spot, if not turn the engine over to 3 oclock again.

Remove access covers and anything else in way like that big rubber tube on the right side of the engine at the top.
Loosen nut with 10mm box end wrench
Hand snug the screw down on a .004 gapper
Tighten nut.
Do other 3.
Recheck.

Put back together.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/09/05 at 20:21:47

When turning the engine for TDCC, turn it in the normal direction of operation.  The Suzuki manual has the correct directions; the Clymer manual is backward.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/10/05 at 04:07:52

I believe you turn it clockwise,  can someone confirm as I don't have a manual and my 'other' Suzuki manual (Z400 sport quad) doesn't say what direction either.  I believe the the force needed to turn the motor is a lot less than the torque setting on that bolt so it probably doesn't really matter.  An easy way to tell with the cover off (remove plug boot) is to bump the motor.... Wink

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 08/10/05 at 04:27:32

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I believe you turn it clockwise,  can someone confirm as I don't have a manual and my 'other' Suzuki manual (Z400 sport quad) doesn't say what direction either.  I believe the the force needed to turn the motor is a lot less than the torque setting on that bolt so it probably doesn't really matter.  An easy way to tell with the cover off (remove plug boot) is to bump the motor.... Wink

NO, the normal rotation is Anti-clockwise e.g. in the same direction as your wheels turn  when you'r  riding foreward.
What more can I say?

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #8 - 08/10/05 at 04:31:49

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

You are on the left side of the motor, so turn it counterclockwise.  If in doubt, put it in 5th gear and rotate the tire in the direction it would turn if you were riding - counterclockwise from the left-hand side.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/10/05 at 05:41:21

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
NO, the normal rotation is Anti-clockwise e.g. in the same direction as your wheels turn  when you'r  riding foreward.
What more can I say?

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

I thought I said the same thing by specifying it should be turned in the normal direction of operation but I guess the normal direction of operation isn't as inherently obvious as I thought.  Kropatchek is correct.  If you are on the left/port side of the bike and facing the bike, you would rotate it counterclockwise (or anticlockwise in European parlance).  I believe another slightly more archaic/obscure term to describe the direction of rotation would be widdershins.

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #10 - 08/10/05 at 22:38:13

what the H is widdershins??

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 08/11/05 at 05:45:25

diesel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
what the H is widdershins??

Widdershins is counterclockwise.
Deosil  is clockwise.

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 08/11/05 at 07:06:22

Could have sworn I was the only member of the SCA on here...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 08/11/05 at 07:29:51

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Could have sworn I was the only member of the SCA on here...
-WD

Hmmm, that's not where I learned it but I did participate in a few events with the Barony of the Western Seas when I was stationed on a ship out of Pearl Harbor.  There's nothing quite like a few rounds of clenchwench after a day of battle, is there?

rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/13/05 at 16:33:29

Boy, you go on vacation and everyone starts talking a different language... Grin

So, didja check the valves yet?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:19:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 500 mile checkup

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.