Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glasspack On! (Read 17 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Glasspack On!
08/06/05 at 17:35:50

Hey folks,

I finally got around to putting my glasspack exhaust on.  It sounds very good, IMO.  mellow but beefy.  A pal told me it was pretty loud, but I don't think it's too bad, though I do have confirmed hearing loss.  Wink

Anyway, A brief rundown of the entier mod follows, and if anyone wants, I can write it up for the tech section.

Got a 17" long glasspack (AKA cherry bomb) from jegs (on the internet).  This model has an ID of 1.75 " all the way through.

I welded a 1/4-20 nut to one end and stuffed a thumbscrew in there, and another nut on the outside with some red loctite. It has not fallen off yet.  I put two cuts parrallel to the axial direction of the pipe at one end; each cut went about half way down the uh, thin part of the glasspack ~1".  This was to make it easier to fit over the header.  This may have been a bad idea as it may be causing an exhaust leak. It went on very very easy.

After removing the stock muffler, I put a bead of red High temp gasket maker/sealant around the end header pipe, about 1/2" from the end.

I stuffed the glasspack on there and afixed with three strap clamps, the kind you can tighten with a screw driver or a socket wrench. I added one to the muffler support.

This particular glasspack model fits very nicely onto the the stock muffler support.

I rejeted accordingly, though I need to do some tuning.

The bike is noticeably quicker at all ranges (so far as I can tell... only done about 10 miles so far)

I also did an air intake mod.  I got a KN "R-1260" tapered air filter.  It bolts right onto the carb.  BUT, what I had to to to make it fit:

1) yank the stock airbox and cut most of the top of it off.  I used an angle grinder to cut out the neck and about a 2" square rigth below the neck.

2) threw out the batter box. angle ground two slits into the front of the air box.  Used a long strap clamp to secure the battery to the front of the airbox.

3) moved all the wires around so the filter would fit.

Believe it or not, it looks pretty good.  I will try to get pics & sounds soon.

Also,  I bought a drag specialties (ists?) breather hose filter.  I zip tied it to the battery strap clamp. One could feed this hose into the air filter, but I don't think it's long enough.  If you want to go this way, make sure you get the "R," not "RC" version of the filter as the RC has a metal cap and the R has a rubber one.

Thanks for readin'!

K

PS, main = 155, pilot = 47.5, white needle spacer is gone and repalced with 2 3mm washers; PMS whatever it was... I still need to tune it. I at 4000 feet above sea level and I bet I'm running rich, but I like backfires...

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Glasspack On!
Reply #1 - 08/06/05 at 18:21:22

Need pictures.  (A picture is worth a thousand words.)

Questions:

The 17" -- is that the body of the Glasspack, or the overall length including the inlet/outlet.

Did it slip on straight or did you need to make a 10 degree bend somewhere?  (I have read that the there is a 10 degree bend between the axis of the muffler and the axis of where it connects to the header pipe.)

Comment:  the very very loose fit, along with others' mentioning shimming the connection when mounting H-D mufflers, suggests that the header is some metric dimension close to but slightly smaller than 1.75 inches.

WWW   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #2 - 08/06/05 at 20:01:33

I've been threatening to do a Jeg's/Summit glass pack for months now.  Thanks for posting your success.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/06/05 at 22:46:23

You actually use a 1 and 11/16th or so piece. Or spend the extra $2.95 on actual exhaust shims from the local vintage bike shop. Why vintage you ask? Because "normal" bike shops don't carry the neat widgets needed to make things work like they are supposed to anyway.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/06/05 at 23:26:06

Cool! That's something I experimented with last year only I didn't get around to jetting it so I put the stock pipe back on. The first one I tried had a short, large core. It was loud! Revved like crazy. I later tried a longer one with a narrower core. Deep, booming sound & lots more power than stock, especially mid & upper ranges. Way cheaper than a bike specific pipe. I got a slight offset on the inlet so it went straight back & didn't rub the tire. If I get more adept at jetting I may put it back on.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/07/05 at 13:15:11

I had a cheap shorty glasspack from JCW on mine for a few weeks just to try it out.  The bike ran great and the sound was excellent.  Two things bothered me about it though... (1) The muffler was too short and blew exhaust on my rear brakes and such... (2) The quality of the muffler wasn't that great... very thin chrome, etc.  I do love the sound of a glasspack though.  Otherwise, I'm still very happy with my MAC, which is what I ride with most of the time.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 08/07/05 at 18:46:53

Hey guys!

Back with updates!

?1:  "The 17" -- is that the body of the Glasspack, or the overall length including the inlet/outlet."

Uh, pretty sure the body of the glasspack is 17", but I will check.

?2:  "Did it slip on straight or did you need to make a 10 degree bend somewhere?  (I have read that the there is a 10 degree bend between the axis of the muffler and the axis of where it connects to the header pipe.) "

Yes, very straight; no bends.  It sits nicely against the stock muffler bracket.  It was kinda loose around the stock header, But I think I got it all with the red RTV.

I did not know about shims, but now I do!

The glasspack is cherry red, not chromed.  I have not spray painted it black yet, but I did spray paint some of the battery (think rat bike).

There is absolutely no rubbing of the back tire.  I suppose it does blow exhaust gases on the rear brake & tire.

The thumbscrew fell out.  I will not worry about it until I get into the nitty gritty of tuning the carb; then I will weld it on if I think I need to.

I will try to get pictures soon.  Also, my camera does movies, so I can get sound, but I don't know if I can separate soudn from video.

K

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 08/08/05 at 05:07:39

I've got a glass pack on KLX, it is 21"o.a., 18"body and 2"i.d..
I have fitted an 1 5/8" i.d. insert (same as header i.d.) in the exit of the silencer, this quietens things down without restriction.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 08/08/05 at 08:51:11

Hey guys,

The total length of the glasspack is 17", and the body is 14" long.  Also, the core ID is 1.75" all the way through.

Yeah, I think I need a silencer.  It is too loud.  The bike is very very quick now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 20:20:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Glasspack On!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.