Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When to shift? (Read 13 times)
Weez
Ex Member

When to shift?
08/01/05 at 21:25:03

Hey all,

With my new savage I have just been playin in first gear to get used to the bike.  I was wondering when the approximate time to shift is in regards to speed.  I realize it is a "feel" thing but I just want an idea and then I'll feel it out.  Shifting speeds for each gear would be great.

thanks,

Weez

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Re: When to shift?
Reply #1 - 08/01/05 at 22:00:38

Hi Weez!

Here's when I shift:

2nd gear: 12-15 mph.  

3rd gear: about 25 mph.

4th gear: around 35 mph.

5th gear -- around 45 mph.

I used to go faster before shifting up; but at these speeds my mileage is a lot better (I used to get high 40's; now get around 55-60 mph).

I'm sure you'll get other responses, and the numbers will probably vary.  Go with what you're comfortable with, and what your bike seems to like.  As long as you're not lugging (too slow) or straining the engine (too fast), you're okay.  Smiley

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 08/01/05 at 22:02:28

here are the shift points as explained by dave f on another forum  

1st - Shift up when the bike stops accelerating.  
2nd - shift up when the mirrors begin to buzz.  
3rd - shift up when bugs stop bouncing off your face and begin to splatter.  
4th - shift up when your mouth suddenly fills with air and begins to function as a air scoop.  
5th - shift up when you forget there is no sixth gear.  

the point here is this.  it truly is a feel thing. in the mom they give an aproximate range.  that's the beauty of this machine it's real forgiving on shift points.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 08/02/05 at 03:27:25

I am a very conservative Rider, but find that the shift-up points as listed in the Owners Manual to be too low, causing the engine to lug a bit more than I like.
Karen's shift points above are close to mine, which I've listed as follows;

1st to 2nd; approx. 25kph (15mph)
2nd to 3rd; approx. 40+kph (25+mph)
3rd to 4th; approx. 60+kph (37+mph)
4th to 5th; approx. 80+kph (50+mph)

Find these points give adequate performance and good fuel milage in normal traffic/Riding conditions.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/02/05 at 06:24:35

I think mine are pretty close to Perry's.  I know I usually shift to 4th somewhere between 35-45 MPH and into 5th at around 55 MPH.  When on the freeway I almost always downshift when slowing to under 55 MPH.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/02/05 at 08:43:02

thanks for all the replies.

I was just wondering, I have a '86 and it only has the 4 gears.  Would this change anything?  thanks.

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/02/05 at 08:48:54

P.S. I just accidently shifted it from 1st to neutral with the engine off without having the clutch in.  obviously a bad idea, but how come this worked and how would it affect it?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/02/05 at 10:18:44

Weez wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
thanks for all the replies.

I was just wondering, I have a '86 and it only has the 4 gears.  Would this change anything?  thanks.

Absolutely but since mine has five, I can't tell you from experience.  Your owner's manual will list the recommended guidelines but you'll probably find what's comfortable for you.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 08/02/05 at 14:05:42

eh, I like to punish my savage.  I usually shift to second at 30 or 35.  I have no idea after that; I just go by feel.  Engine is bone stock, btw.

Also, i'm not above quick-shifting (I think that's what it is called), i.e. shifting without using the clutch i.e. trying to wreck your transmission

...actually, if I am careful about it, it can be pretty smooth, espescially down shifting.  My V* doesn't seem to mind much either...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/02/05 at 14:18:15

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
eh, I like to punish my savage.  I usually shift to second at 30 or 35.  I have no idea after that; I just go by feel.  Engine is bone stock, btw.

Also, i'm not above quick-shifting (I think that's what it is called), i.e. shifting without using the clutch i.e. trying to wreck your transmission

...actually, if I am careful about it, it can be pretty smooth, espescially down shifting.  My V* doesn't seem to mind much either...

I don't think I've ever intentionally done a clutchless downshift but it's actually pretty smooth to upshift between 3rd and 4th and between 4th and 5th on my Savage.

mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/02/05 at 14:26:34

i dont know i wish i would have followed that  Grin I pulled out of light and hadn't even gotten to third yet and i got pulled over for 52 on a 35  :'(

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 08/02/05 at 15:27:28

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
i dont know i wish i would have followed that  Grin I pulled out of light and hadn't even gotten to third yet and i got pulled over for 52 on a 35  :'(

my old man got pulled over for doing 45 in a 25 on his FZ1... in first gear!  He was a block from his house, too...

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 08/02/05 at 16:35:45

[quote author=vroom1776 link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1122956703;start=0#8 date=08/02/05 at 14:05:42]

[quote]
i must disagree with the above statement.  8).

you cause less wear and tear when you shift that way.

pulling the cluth lever starts a chain of events that leads to wear and tear.  cable strectches, when clutch engages springs wear, friction is created on plates. all this contributes to the wear and tear.  

the only time i use the clutch is the inital start in first. i've always shifted without both up and down, yes even into first gear.  it's an advanced riding technique. a good one at that.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/02/05 at 20:14:08

Sluggo -

How do you shift without using the clutch?  Isn't it a little tough on the tranny?  Okay, it would be if I did it.

Thanks, David

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 08/02/05 at 20:32:48

It's a constant mesh transmission.  Take the strain off and it slips between gears quite easily.   From a standing start, ease out the clutch and roll on the throttle.  Toe under the shifter.  Roll off - lift - roll on.  Repeat.  Repeat.  (if >1990 Repeat.)  

As to when you shift, that's a style thing.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 14:56:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › When to shift?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.