Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
savage versus rebel (Read 28 times)
argus
Ex Member

savage versus rebel
08/01/05 at 11:03:06

Hello,
I am considering buying a 1998 Savage.  But while looking at the new S40's the salesperson told me that there was little performance difference between a twin 250 Honda Rebel and a single 650 Suzuki Savage.
Can someone give an overall comparison of the two bikes?
Many thanks.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Re: savage versus rebel
Reply #1 - 08/01/05 at 11:12:22

i took my msf corse on a 250 sadhawk a.k.a nighthawk the savage is way more powerful faster and just a better bike i think he was trying to sell you line of $hit
they just whant you to buy a bigger bike and spend more$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ??? i would tell him to kiss my a$$ and that he dose not know any thing about motorcycles

shawn

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/01/05 at 11:13:25

The Rebel's torque & horsepower are about half of the Savage, but it's only 50 pounds lighter.  

Sounds to me like he's got a Rebel he needs to sell.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/01/05 at 12:22:43

Looks like Shawn & I posted at the same time.

Either way you slice it, the salesguy is dead wrong about the Savage.  It's got plenty of power.  Can't say that about the Rebel.

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/01/05 at 12:38:11

I will add that although the Savage is underpowered as it is purchased new, for as little as $100 you can make a BIG performance difference as well as getting rid of the putt-putt sounding motor.  The Rebel is probably close to as good as you are going to get off the floor.

IP Logged
Kirill

Reply #5 - 08/01/05 at 12:53:47

I just traded in my rebel and purchased a brand new Suzuki S40. Althtough, I have nothing bad to say about the Rebel, S 40 is a MUCH better bike overall (more power, better comfort over the potholes, greater stability on the highway (with or without crosswinds), and finally I can take a passanger with me and be able to keep up with traffic. Unless one plans to drive only in Manhattan with constant stop and go, I see very few reasons to own a Rebel.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 08/01/05 at 15:03:14

Let's put it thid way:
The sales guy did not lie. He jus presented only part of the truth. I have both bikes and many more. If You take stock Savage and stock Rebel both bikes will have almost the same top speed. Here ends the similarity in the performance.
If You don't like or don't want to play with the bike and modify- go for the Rebel ! I don't care how many loughs will there be when I make this statement, but the Rebel is one of the best bikes for what it is. The engineering and the quality are way better than the Suzuki's. The Rebel reliability is notorious.  It is hard to think about a better gas milage.
And in the same time I am riding a Savage in the city and I am selling my Rebel. What everybody said before me is truth. The key word is  MODIFICATIONS and I will say  CARE and MAINTENANCE. With the Savage You will have to love the idea of a BIG SINGLE and start working on correcting what the engineres screwed. If You are ready to go this way You will never be sorry about buying a Savage.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 08/01/05 at 15:09:01

argus wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
.... the salesperson told me that there was little performance difference between a twin 250 Honda Rebel and a single 650 Suzuki Savage....

To quote a truism from hot-rodding:

There is no replacement for displacement.

Yeah, one could claim that there is little difference in performance.  And as long as you don't push the limits it's true -- in normal city riding they would perform similarly and get similar mileage.

Just as a six-cylinder Valiant has similar performance to 350V8-2bbl Camaro.

But when you pedal to the metal or twist the tiger's tail it is the greater displacement that will transform a greater amount of gasoline into a greater amount of GO.

------------------------------------

I was looking at the GZ250 / 250 Rebel,Viargo,Nighthawk as a 250 is all I really need for my daily commute and running errands.  Until I noticed the Savage, only 10% heavier on the road with rider, but with more than double the displacement.

I sat on a Rebel, and the side covers poked me in the thighs.  I sat on a Savage and fell in love.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 08/01/05 at 15:58:06

Chances are the dealer not only had a Rebel he needed to sell, he also was hoping for you to come back within a year to get something bigger. Get the Savage and tweak it, it's a great bike. Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/01/05 at 18:59:05

A Yamaha dealer talked a friend of mine out of buying an S40. He said since it's a single it would beat her up on the highway. ( Grin) So she spent more money to buy a heavier, slower bike, a Yamaha V Star Classic 650. Now she says it's too heavy & was amazed when I told her my S40 buzzes a little at 70 mph but not that bad. I guess the dealer's happy.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 08/01/05 at 19:12:12

last year when i went to purchase my savage at the local dealer, the salesman balked at "ordering" one for me, bad mouthed the machine, tried to sell me something i didn't want. the owner then stepped in an assured me if that's what i wanted he would find one for me.  that he did, had it shipped in two days. when the machine arrived they all rode it and were totally suprised at how well the machine performed. now that i've bobbed it they think it's one of the coolest bikes in town.   and well it is...     8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 08/01/05 at 20:47:19

In town, they are both fine. On the highway, the Rebel is the cute little toy motorcycle, the Savage is the motorcycle. Now, the 450 Rebel on the other hand, can/does eat the Savage for lunch given half a chance. Used to annoy me to no end when Lisa had the 450.

My current project is a Harley trike conversion...sort of...
Engine is a 2 stoke HD from the 19??s. Most likely a 125 Aermacci, although, it also looks like a Hummer engine. Talk about underkill...makes the Rebel look like it has a 426 Hemi in the frame...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/01/05 at 21:19:01

I find this comparison all very intereting.

"for as little as $100 you can make a BIG performance difference"

I just bought a savage and I am wondering what these mods include?  

Thanks

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 08/01/05 at 23:22:36

To answer about the mods under $100 - may be the best thing is to check the old posts . There was a post about all the succesfull and unsuccesfull changes .
But for a couple of bucks You can do the carb mod wich will make You smile.
For under $5 You can raise the nose of the seat and feel better on a long ride. From eBay You can get pretty inexpensive a Sporty muffler and get better sound and performance. After that You can sell back on eBay the stock muffler and even You may make couple of bucks.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/02/05 at 00:45:50

Weez wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I find this comparison all very intereting.

"for as little as $100 you can make a BIG performance difference"

I just bought a savage and I am wondering what these mods include?  

Thanks

Since I wrote that I thought I would answer.  I bought a set of screaming eagle II mufflers for $45, K&N drop in for $42 I think, jet $3.50, 10 stainless bolts for putting the carb back together, and some spacers and bolts for the seat.  Together including shipping I figured my final cost was $130.  Don't worry about the seat, buy a regular sportster muffler and find it all locally and what I did could easily be done for less than $100.  But the SEII sound awesome.  Highly recommend.  As mentioned there are plenty of recommendations as to exactly how you want to adjust your carb depending on your particular set up.  I was going to just do the K&N half the white spacer and up the main, but when I found a cheap SEII I decided to just get it all done with so I wouldn't have to open the carb up again later.  Took about 8 hours spread out over several weeks.  Should have been done in 2 hours if I had any idea what I had been doing.  All I can say is don't strip the screws of the carb.  Especially the little ones on the inside. That reminds me I forgot to include the $25 for the impact driver.  Wished I had bought it first.  Didn't help for the little ones though.  I had to drill them and then get one of those reverese drill wedge bit deals to get them out.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:40:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › savage versus rebel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.