Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will it hurt to leave the choke on? (Read 9 times)
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Will it hurt to leave the choke on?
07/30/05 at 18:47:28

Today, curiosity pursuaded me to pull the choke out 1 click to see how it would run after fully warm. Amazing difference! I expected stalling & sputtering but it totally eliminated all backfiring, ran smoother, quit surging & had a little more power. I've had my gas tank off LOTS off times messing with the jetting & no combination ever worked this well. Currently I've got the pilot screw out 1 1/2 turns, the white spacer is 1/2 width & a 147.5 main jet.  My question is, if I don't end up fouling plugs, would it hurt to just leave the choke out 1 click always? Also, is it a choke or an enrichner? Thanks for any answers.   Undecided

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Will it hurt to leave the choke on?
Reply #1 - 07/30/05 at 18:58:26

I forgot to mention this! Stock pipe, K&N drop in filter, snorkel out & I sawed a chunk out of the airbox, lower rear corner. Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #2 - 07/30/05 at 19:10:28

The choke is an enrichener, or has an enrichening effect, so I'm not sure what differentiation you are trying to make unless you are looking for something that doesn't restrict air flow & just dumps extra fuel.  It restricts air & also helps vacuum pull more fuel.  It may be fine, depending on your driving style, but it will ultimately restrict performance the farther you open up the throttle because you'll never get the max air flow the carburetor is capable of as long as the choke is partially closed.

Found this which may help:

When the engine is first started, a very rich air/fuel mixture is required because cold fuel vaporizes slowly. The "choke" at the top of the carburetor provides the richer mixture by closing and "choking off" the carburetor's air supply. The choking effect also creates an area of low pressure inside the throat of the carburetor that helps to pull additional fuel through the main metering circuit. At idle there isn't enough air flowing through the venturi to pull fuel through the venturi discharge nozzle. By temporarily choking off the air supply, however, manifold vacuum rather than venturi vacuum helps to draw the extra fuel through the main metering circuit.

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #3 - 07/30/05 at 19:12:23

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I forgot to mention this! Stock pipe, K&N drop in filter, snorkel out & I sawed a chunk out of the airbox, lower rear corner. Thanks!

You may need to rejet to account for the improved air flow with the K&N.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #4 - 07/30/05 at 20:10:11

You may also just need to bump up on one of the jets. if it preforms poorly on the low end then bump up on the pilot, if it's mid-range you could adjust the needle, and if it's top end bump up the main jet.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #5 - 07/30/05 at 20:20:36

Something else you may want to try before re-jetting... With the bike cold turn the air/fuel screw in to about 1 turn out, start the bike then slowly turn out the screw, stopping about every 1/4 turn so the carb. catches up. You should hear the idle picking up and the engine sounding better. Once you get to a certian point the engine will start to come back down, when it does, take it back to the best spot, then set the idle back to normal. The idle is not going to come up drastically, but you should be able to hear it. Don't go more than 3 1/2 turns out though, if you get there then you need to bump up to the next jet.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/30/05 at 20:37:36

I ran mine with the chole out 1 notch for a week. Gas mileage suffered, but man did the bike behave better. Fouled the plug out pretty quick (in combination with the 2 stroke oil).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 07/30/05 at 23:20:56

In cold weather, I run the choke for about 30-60 seconds after start and then go normal.  In the current weather, I never use the choke.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/30/05 at 23:21:02

Thanks for the input. I tried turning out the pilot screw more but I stripped the groove so I'll order a #55 pilot jet monday. The choke seems to make the biggest difference under 1/2 throttle & by 2/3 throttle it's running well with the choke on or off, so I'm thinking the pilot circuit's a little lean.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:44:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will it hurt to leave the choke on?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.