Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Found any GPS systems that you like? (Read 6 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Found any GPS systems that you like?
07/30/05 at 11:23:14

Just wondering if anyone has used a GPS system and mounted it on their bike.  I saw something called a Tom Tom unit that was about a thousand bucks.  I was hoping to find one for a couple of hundred.  

Your advise is welcom

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Found any GPS systems that you like?
Reply #1 - 07/30/05 at 15:33:53

Option 1:  If you don't care where you are or where you're going you don't need maps or GPS.

Option 2:  AAA maps -- free to members.

Option 3:  GPS.  Amazon.com lists a couple of hand held mapping GPSs for about $140.  Handlebar mounts can be found separately for about $25.

Wouldn't do me any good as I would need to put on my reading glasses to use it.  I'll go with option 1.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 07/30/05 at 17:55:38

Option 4, I carry a compass and a map. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/31/05 at 03:35:11

I think a GPS would be pretty cool to have on a bike.  I do have one the I use hiking.  Probably has saved me a few hard hours on several occasions.  I think though you question might be better asked on say a goldwing site.  Don't see to many Savages cruising around with the GPS.  I hear also that many sportbike riders are fond of them.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/31/05 at 08:32:01

The GPS may have a tripmeter function too.  It's a little expensive way to do it but the mapping feature would be fun too.  It's not on my personal list of money well spent but that's always a personal thing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #5 - 07/31/05 at 13:55:46

Yeah it would be nice, but kinda out of place on the 650.
A compass is just bling. Look at the shadows and check your watch, besides any C/Ku-band watcher always knows where G5(12)(125*W) & the digital stuff is about 110*W ! Grin
I will have one on my next bike tho.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #6 - 08/01/05 at 07:47:30

A little over a year ago I found a Garmin E-Map on clearance at Walmart for $40.00!!   At the time I already owned 3 GPS units, but for that price I couldn't pass it up.

The unit had not be 'in production' for at least a year previous. Someone had bought the thing and couldn't figure out how to use it .. returned it to Walmart and it sat on a shelf somewhere ... but everything was in the box.

This model has a basemap of the entire USA, but has a slot for a (Garmin specific) memory card to download detailed maps from the (Garmin) CD-Rom.  So, after spending another $150.00 or so I was up and running with my unit. The display is NOT is color, and the screen is kinda small (but bigger than the eTrex units)

It *was* living on the dashboard of my car, but I found a Garmin handlebar mount on the internet (lucky .. it was the last one they had) and mounted it on the Savage.

Actually, I keep the GPS in my jacket pocket most of the time since it would be SO easy for someone to slip it out of the handlebar mount. BUT, it's nice to have the option to use the GPS to explore unknown roads and not be "lost" (also there is a TON of data available on current speed, average speed, maximum speed, trip odometer and such)

AND, with the detailed extra data from the CD-Rom I can find nearby stores, restaurants and the like if I need to.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/02/05 at 07:12:30

If I was going really far on my bike I would take my laptop.  I got streets and trips 2004 so that would be pretty useful  and it plays dvds so I can watch a movie when i get there.

I need the gps sensor tho if I wanted to go that route, but its only 59.00  maybe ill get it for xmas

too bad i cant hook it up to the back of the sissybar and play music when i ride.  im sure I could its just a matter of mounting it, because i got a power invertor that will work.  Just not sure the battery can keep that kind of currrent up.

IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #8 - 08/02/05 at 07:44:19

I'm a big fan of the Garmin eTrex units.  These are the ones you can pick up on eBay for $130 (factory refurbished).

This unit is the 'Savage' of GPSs.  2 AAs run it for ~12 hours.  It has basic maps (interstates, highways, major roads), about 2 dozen data readouts (Time,Speed,ODO, Trip ODO, direction, Sunset,etc) and customizable screens (I use a large font 4 parameter screen - Speed, ODO, Direction and Time).  I cycle between this and the Map screen (which leaves a trail of where I have been - kind of makes up for the baseload maps).  This small unit is about the size of a large cell phone, is water proof and can handle drops.

If you are thinking of dipping your toes in the GPS market, I'd say start with this one.  You will be amazed at all the stuff these little things can do.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 08/08/05 at 22:00:17

For 40 bucks, it would be permanently glued into the mount and wired to a plug on the bike!
One prob on a bike is display visibility in daylight.
In May, Drove the Mercedes E55 AMG w/ the onboard Comand navigation;

Too cool. You are the point of the arrow inside the black circle. You can zoom way in such that on/off ramps and surface streets are mapped & named.

Way out of my price range, but the "Brit chick" voice over was great. It/She would warn of an up coming turn and voice over the (XM) stereo such that you didn't need to try to look at the screen, just follow her directions. Just program in "point A" (123 Elm Street, Lincoln, NE) to Memphis. It calculates the fastest route. It was dead on too. Who knows maybe in 5 years it will be common.
It would work great for a biker where the screen won't show in direct sunlight.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:10:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Found any GPS systems that you like?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.