Beware the Burgman (Read 18 times)
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Beware the Burgman
07/29/05 at 08:28:10

Some hipster dufus on a scooter pulled up beside me at a red light, and motioned he wanted to drag. My initial thought was "get lost", but instinct took over and I obliged. Man, I was never close to him. He blew me off the line and kept getting farther away every second. I could just imagine him saying (with a Cheech Marin voice) bye bye lard ass. At the next red light I sheepisly pulled beside him and he lifted hid dark visor. It turned out I knew the guy. He said " Don't feel bad Gord, yesterday I blew away Terry on his 850 Guzzi." He was laughing in his helmet as he took off.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Beware the Burgman
Reply #1 - 07/29/05 at 08:39:44

LOL!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/05 at 08:40:18

You know what would be really creepy?  If he lifted the visor, said, "Don't worry, Gord," and rode away -- and you'd never met the guy before.  Shocked

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/29/05 at 10:38:04

So what the heck is a Burgman, besides a scooter, and why is it so fast?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/29/05 at 10:49:49

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
So what the heck is a Burgman, besides a scooter, and why is it so fast?

Here you go.

... and Suzuki's site...

Thay also make a 400cc version.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 07/29/05 at 11:41:13

Jeez, it's getting wierd, a high performance scooter that costs more that a crotch rocket. Wonder how many you will find riding the Tail Of The Dragon Cheesy.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/29/05 at 12:06:45

it looks like it handels like crap pure drag bike Shocked

shawn

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 07/29/05 at 12:10:00

Watch out for geezers on their scooters. The Honda Silver Wing will leave you in the dust too  Grin

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 07/29/05 at 12:39:52

Well, if you wanna spend $8k on a scooter with a motorcycle engine...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 07/29/05 at 13:49:54

For people who want/need twist-n-go simplicity, they're much better than a smaller scooter in my opinion.  I once tried a Silver Wing just to see how it handled and it did surprisingly well.  I'd bet the Burgman is similar.

Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 07/29/05 at 13:57:16

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Well, if you wanna spend $8k on a scooter with a motorcycle engine...

As we age we develop ... ahh... limitations.  At some point in time throwing a leg over a motorcycle will no longer be physically possible.  Arthritis may make grabbing a clutch painful.  Our natural padding shrivels making a standard saddle impossible to bear for more than a few minutes.  We can no longer endure hot/cold wind stabbing at our bony body.  Eventually you reach a point of spending $8K on a "scooter" or retiring to your cage.

Which will you choose?

WWW   IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/29/05 at 14:34:25

It's gotta be tough to look cool riding one of those.  If I was gonna move up the Suzuki ladder, it'd be an SV650.

Anybody know how it handles through curves?  Looks a little short on the lean angle to me.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 07/29/05 at 15:17:13

I hear the SV 650 is a pretty good bike, but a little groggy if you let off the throttle at all (for a sport bike).  

age & bikes:  I got the impression that this fella' was youngish...  what would I choose?  I'd do my best to get my butt on a trike.  eh... I just don't see myself on a scooter, even a fast one.

Frankly I think those 50 cc jobs are dangerous.  Why?

1) they are slow (very bad in a pinch)
2) cagers don't see or hear them
3) cagers don't care (ame goes for us!)
4) nobody really knows how to treat them, i.e. as motorcycles or bicycles

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #13 - 07/29/05 at 15:38:38

I rode a honda refex scooter on a test ride when they first came out a few years ago and it got up to 80 mighty quick for a scooter. Nice ride and handled well too. But man, a little too much coin for me. I do see used ones every so often in the cycle books for around 4 grand. I think I'll stick with good old thumper for a while longer. I can't see being "mr. bad ass" of the block on an oversized scooter!!!  Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin Tongue

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 07/29/05 at 17:39:03

The funny thing is - I just finished changing the plastics of one Burgman. The front fairing - $213, The side - $126, The fr. box/ uhat You fork when You sit/ -$158, the plastic belt cover -$81. To change this pieces takes time like to do a total rebuilding of a Savage.
 This is 400cc. I did not get the impression to be so fast. May be the one that smocked the LS was the big Burgman - 650 cc. Anyway- they are FI and are not bad, but first thing expensive and second- I don't know how will they handle in rain or on a rough surface.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:06:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beware the Burgman

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.