Air Cooling (Read 8 times)
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Air Cooling
07/26/05 at 21:06:01

There has been some current discussion on the chances of large single air cooled engines beeing prone to overheating. I still believe it is not a problem for the Savage, but in light of recent high temperatures I do think we should be careful not to restrict airflow to our engines.
When I was looking for a place to mount my leather tool bag (large) I resisted placing it on the traditional spot on the lower triple clamp. It was my thought that it restricted proper airflow to the head and cylinder. I understand airflow and I realize that at speed the cooling air will get around the bag but the airflow becomes interupted and tumbles across the head and is less effective than if it was undisturbed air.  Let me give you an example of what Kawasaki learned in its wind tunnel. Years ago, when designing the ZX1200 (I think) to attempt to outrun the Hyabusa it had its air intake flush mounted on the fairing. This particular induction system (ram air) requires the air box to be pressurized and Kawasaki discovered the air box pressure inadequate. The air intake being flush mounted was receiving disturbed air from the fairing, so extended the air intake with a two inch extension so it could slice into undisturbed air  thus pulling in considerable more new air to satisfy this induction requirements. Keep in mind this technology was required to attain speeds of 300 kph.
What does this have to do with a tool bag mounted in front of your cylinder? Well I think you get the idea that you could be robbing your engine of quality cooling air. Probably not enough to do damage, but for a borderline engine just MAYBE enough to cause some concern.
Before I bought a Savage and joined this board I hung out at the BMW F650 site. This group, although they love their bikes are not a fan of Das Korporation. Let me give you an example of what BMW constitutes as reckless modifications causing overheating.  Installing fork gaiters causes reduced airflow to the radiator! This is real stuff and I am not making it up. BMW actually sent service bullitins to its dealership ordering to void overheating related warranties if owners installed these gaitors.
This last example in my opinion is extreme but food for thought nevertheless.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Re: Air Cooling
Reply #1 - 07/26/05 at 21:20:38

You make a very good point!!! Also in extreme temps. make sure the air filter is good and clean, and if it's time for that oil change, get it done. Anything that makes the engine operate more smoothly will most certain help in these hot temperatures, especially since there is no means of cooling the oil other that the outside air hitting the engine.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 07/27/05 at 06:36:51

The highwaybar is the only non-stock item in front of the engine on mine and I don't believe it could cause a problem.  I recently considered mounting a stainless storage box or tube on it for tools but decided against it because of the possibility of restricted airflow.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 07/27/05 at 16:10:15

I never thought that a fork bag would block the air flow but I can see where it could. I was watching a show on the developement of the Harley V Rod and one of the biggest problems they faced was directing air around the front tire into the radiator. I alway thought most of the engine heat on the Savage was lost as radiant heat at low speed although a couple pieces of sheet metal to direct the air onto the head can't hurt. I would be more concerned in keeping the oil level full and running a fresh 20/50 weight oil in the heat.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 07/27/05 at 18:15:48

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I never thought that a fork bag would block the air flow but I can see where it could. I was watching a show on the developement of the Harley V Rod and one of the biggest problems they faced was directing air around the front tire into the radiator. I alway thought most of the engine heat on the Savage was lost as radiant heat at low speed although a couple pieces of sheet metal to direct the air onto the head can't hurt. I would be more concerned in keeping the oil level full and running a fresh 20/50 weight oil in the heat.

i just completed a 150 mile ride in 100 plus heat. some at speed, some 35 on gravel roads.  no problemo..

inho over heating has never been a problem on any of the thumpers i've owned.  so put the bag where ever you want. go ride and don't sweat the small stuff. ya know stuff like "do these chaps make my butt look big" (great line greg).  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/27/05 at 18:41:00

ihave a tool bag on the lower triple clamp of mine and in two years of riding in east texas summer heat have never had a problem. i also run the bike on castrol 20w50 syn. oil

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:30:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Cooling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.