Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I ran out of gas at mile 35, a reserve question (Read 30 times)
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
I ran out of gas at mile 35, a reserve question
07/25/05 at 08:32:36

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Savage world and this is my first post on this forum -- but I'm sure it won't be my last!

Anyway, I just picked up my black S40 '05 from the dealer Friday evening, and rode it home w/o incident. (I've new to Savages, but not new to biking ... I have previous 250cc dirt bike experience.)

On Sunday morning, I got up VERY bright and early to get some practice on the streets while traffic would be at a minimum.

Everything was fine for the first hour or so, but then the bike sputtered to a halt. I didn't think about flipping the reserve switch until I had pulled off onto the shoulder.

Flipped reserve switch. Looked at odometer, which read 35 miles.

Opened up tank, peeked inside. There was certainly enough gas to power me -- about 1/10 of a tank.

Since there was enough gas, I came to the conclusion that my new Thumper had overheated and shut down. It was hot and humid already that morning, but "only" in the high 80s.

I wondered if I had made a big mistake in buying a bike with an air-cooled engine -- if it couldn't handle this weather! Granted, I was doing a lot of stop-and-go maneuvers -- I was practicing, after all. But surely my new bike could handle it, right?

Well, since there was gas in the tank, I switched the fuel switch back to "ON" and tried to start her up. No dice.

Pushed the bike to a nearby city park, parked it in the shade and waited a half an hour. Tried starting her again. No dice.

Then, in a fit of inspiration, I flipped the switch to "Reserve" and tried again. She started right up!

So, long story short (oops, too late for that, eh?), the dealer must not have put a lot of gas in the tank -- I was only at 35 miles, remember? (Note to self: Give dealer an earful!)

I'm glad this didn't turn out to be an overheating issue  Smiley , but I now have a question: How does my reserve tank operate?

When I flipped the reserve switch the first time, right after I stalled, did it dump more gas from a separate compartment into the main tank (which explains the amount of gas that I saw when I popped the cap)?

Or, is there really no such thing as two separate compartments (main, reserve) in the tank, but merely two fuel lines leading from the tank to the carb: one located higher up the incline, and one at the very bottom.

In this situation, when most of your gas is gone, the higher up fuel line will start drawing air, but the lower one will still be able to suck gas. And the fuel switch merely switches from one fuel line to the other, giving the illusion of a reserve tank, when there’s really just one big tank.

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks. Tammi

P.S. I’ll try to make my future posts less wordy!

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: I ran out of gas at mile 35, a reserve questio
Reply #1 - 07/25/05 at 10:37:05

Well gee, welcome to the forum. As Savage_Rob not so diplomatically pointed out without answering your question, this vehicle forum works a bit differently than others in that the technical corner is not for technical questions. Most people cut newbies a bit of slack however. Hopefully one of the moderators will move this thread over to rubber side down (the question and answer section of the forum).

Anyway, I'm not an expert but I'll try to answer your question. First I'll offer a little piece of advice: get your motorcycles owners manual (MOM) out and read it. If you didn't get one from your dealer, then ask him for yours when you give him an earful (make sure you can spare the earful  Wink ) Also take a MSF course - they should explain the usage of basic equipment on a bike.

Now for my attempt to answer your question: you pretty much answered your own question

Quote:
Or, is there really no such thing as two separate compartments (main, reserve) in the tank, but merely two fuel lines leading from the tank to the carb: one located higher up the incline, and one at the very bottom.

In this situation, when most of your gas is gone, the higher up fuel line will start drawing air, but the lower one will still be able to suck gas. And the fuel switch merely switches from one fuel line to the other, giving the illusion of a reserve tank, when there’s really just one big tank.

From my understanding, there is a bit of separation in the bottom of the tank in the middle, but I've never cut one apart to check and in any case I'm guessing it would be for structural/manufacturing purposes not to separate the gas in to separate compartments.

One other little comment, as you may have noticed when you filled up (or read your MOM), these bikes have really small gas tanks and need to be fed on a regular basis. I'm guessing most of the riders here shoot for 50-100 miles between fillups to stay out of reserve.

PS, make sure you flip your valve back to ON so that next time you run low on gas you will still have some left when you change to reserve.

Again welcome to the forum, it's a great source for information and amusement. Don't let your initial "welcome" scare you away.

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #2 - 07/25/05 at 12:26:54

Here's my "embarassed" smiley:  Embarrassed

Sorry everyone.

I hope a mod will move this right away.

P.S. Thanks, mornhm, for the advice.

-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #3 - 07/25/05 at 15:23:38

Welcome Tammi,

I am sure you will (like myself) find you made a good choice for a bike. I also am driving a 2005 S40, however I have the pearl white.  

An important thing to rember is that you only have about 1/2 gall of gas when you make the switch to reserve. This should get you about 20-25 miles before you truly run out of gas. If you are riding out where stations are few and far between I would suggest you keep an eye on the tank. My first action was to fill the tank and make a referance on the odometer. I then rode until I ran out of primary gas. This gave me a very good idea on how far I can go before  I run out. I am getting about 100/tank plus reserve. I have never actually tested the reserve as this would  leave me up a proverbial estuary without a means of locomotion.

As for the ealier referance to the MSF course:

Quote:
Also take a MSF course - they should explain the usage of basic equipment on a bike.

TAKE IT! It  saved my life. I was forced to perform the emergency breaking maneuver when a cage (car) didnt see me. Had I stopped the way I was before taking the course I probably would have gone down.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 07/25/05 at 16:03:26

Welcome aboard

Res/On switching is all done in the fuel valve - it has two pickup tubes the On tube is taller and goes up into the tank a couple of inches higher than the RES tube - so when you switch to RES it's using the shorter tube and just feeding from the bottom of the tank.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #5 - 07/25/05 at 22:20:40

I covered this before,but here goes again. way back in '86,my first new Savage, did forget to return fuel valve to "run"and run 'er dry on"res". on freeway. NOW, what the he## do I do? walk? no lay that puppy down on her left side and tip 'er up on crashbar or handlebar.this runs a LITTLE bit of gas remaning in the right side of tank to left side. now find a gas station  FAST,got mabey 12 or 14 mi. more. bikes of '30s and '40s, this WAS the "res".

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/26/05 at 01:19:03

Hmm i would think 1/10th of a tank is not alot of gas since your bike only holds 3.2 gal TOPS.  Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your bike.  I couldnt ask for a better bunch of guys and gals to ask for advice.

mucho butt kissing  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bob jones

Reply #7 - 07/26/05 at 14:33:37

the simple answer is...the answer i think you wanted without all kinds of un asked for advice...
when you flip the reserve switch you lower the intake tube into the bottom remaining 1/2 gallon of fuel in the tank...
have fun and ride safe

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 07/26/05 at 14:59:58

Thought I said that.... but may be not

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 07/26/05 at 15:01:24

diesel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I covered this before,but here goes again. way back in '86,my first new Savage, did forget to return fuel valve to "run"and run 'er dry on"res". on freeway. NOW, what the he## do I do? walk? no lay that puppy down on her left side and tip 'er up on crashbar or handlebar.this runs a LITTLE bit of gas remaning in the right side of tank to left side. now find a gas station  FAST,got mabey 12 or 14 mi. more. bikes of '30s and '40s, this WAS the "res".

i've tried the tip over method twice when testing reserve, and didn't get any additional milage.  so don't even count on it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 07/26/05 at 15:21:52

I'll 2nd that - when I drain the tank while on the kickstand via pri and pull the Petc0ck there's maybe 2 tablespoons left in the tank - not going to push you very far

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 07/26/05 at 15:22:31

dang nail again - tablespo0ns

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #12 - 07/26/05 at 16:18:23

S-P-O-O-N is censored?  WTF!!

Will someone please fix the swear filter!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 07/26/05 at 17:03:20

Kaishaku wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
S-P-O-O-N is censored?  WTF!!

Will someone please fix the swear filter!

It's not sp00n that it dislikes.  It's p00n.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #14 - 07/27/05 at 07:37:25

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for all the good advice and the answer to my "reserve" tank question. I'm using quotes around "reserve" 'cause it's all just an illusion...  Grin

So, it's just as I thought, then, that there are two fuel intake tubes leading to the carb.

So, when I couldn't believe that I was out of gas after only 35 miles, and saw enough gas in my tank to start me up again, I naturally assumed overheating.

Now I know better, thanks to the confirmations I've received in this thread.

Also, I did take the MSF course in mid-June -- I passed the licensing test, with only five points deducted for entering the 130 degree turn too slowly.

Believe me, I'm smart enough (despite my fuel mishap!) to know that my previous experience on a dirt bike is not sufficient to get me by on the streets. Loved the MSF course, and I practice the techniques (both mental and physical) every time I ride.

I have the S40 owner's manual, and I've been poring over it on a daily basis. I've also ordered the new Clymer manual (through 2004 models), which Amazon says will be published July 31.

Cheers! Tammi

-- Green Day
=========
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:41:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I ran out of gas at mile 35, a reserve question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.