Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag question (Read 8 times)
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

Saddlebag question
07/24/05 at 11:07:50

I'm looking to throw some Saddlebags on my '05 S40. Does anybody know of any 3rd party bags that work well for them...or am I stuck with the ones suzuki sells. And if I do get some...how important are those saddlebag supports?

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Re: Saddlebag question
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 11:19:44

You'll need to get the support brackets with any of the saddlebags you choose to buy. Or you can Fabricate some of you're own. I sure there is a posting about that topic on the site you'll have to look around for it a little bit.
The brackets function is to keep the bags from sagging inward twards the rear wheel and to stabilize them from flapping around when you are riding!!! Grin

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/05 at 13:08:59

You're definitely not stuck with the Suzuki bags.  Which ones you get simply depends on your tastes.

I have the Willie & Max Slant saddlebags.  Others here have the Willie & Max Compact Slant bags; the compacts fit better and look better, but the regular slant bags fit, and they can carry more stuff, so I like them.  (Bought a small cooler yesterday; now I can carry a couple of cold Gatorades in my saddlebags, which makes riding in 95+ degree heat a lot more tolerable.) Smiley

I think it's Paladin that has the Leatherlykes...(?)  Those are nice too.

And yeah, the saddlebag supports are important.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/24/05 at 16:28:51

The LeatherLykes are hardbags that only look like leather.  They are rather large and require relocating the rear turn signals (parts and instructions come with the bags.)

Hard bags cannot be stuffed to bulging as can soft bags, but these bags are rated at 20 pounds capacity and can handle, per bag, a 5 liter box of wine -or- a 10 pound bag of potatoes -or- 2 one-gallon jugs of milk.  Making them quite handy for shopping trips.

Either saddlebag can be removed in 6 seconds or installed in under 15 seconds.  (Movie clip.)

Downside: they cost over $400.

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 07/24/05 at 17:28:18

Neat video Pal.
I did't realize they poped off like that. I managed to squeeze a set of the larger Willie and Max slants on mine. The two-tone black and gray slants go well w/ my Suzuki gel seat and blue paint. I hoped they would ride on top of the passenger seat, but I didn't like the look. They looked funny up that high so I hung them under the pass.seat.  I can't snatch them off anymore, but they look good on the bike now.

They will cover your shocks & fill from the lower seat edge back to the stock blinkers.
You can haul a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread in one side. I can roll up my jacket and stuff it in one side too.

They now have many new colors in their two-tones:
http://www.buywillieandmax.com/cat_super.cfm

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 07/24/05 at 19:27:09

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Downside: they cost over $400.  

"A well spent 400 buck;" I say  Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/24/05 at 20:38:28

Maybeso, but you can't lift them off the bike, throw them over a shoulder, and slaunter into the hotel.

WWW   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/27/05 at 09:07:05

My Daughter's Boss bought her Saddlebags for her Birthday. They have a quick release snap under the buckle which is neat, it looks traditional but is easy to get into. The inside has a zippers to close the top. They are made in USA, by The Leather Company. #703 Small Slant bags, He bought them from Cycle Gear in Fort Worth, TX. I think they were right at $100.00. We're still working on getting her supports for them.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 07/27/05 at 15:42:47

If you have a set of bags that hang too low Shocked you can drill extra lacing holes in the straps that go across the seat to move them up to where they fit better. I ended up moving the lacing holes on the bags my '02 came with, got them to sit even with the turn signals instead of under them. Just a tip. Ride Safe.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/27/05 at 18:05:08

details details why does everybody make things so complecated. picked up a pair of bags  soft leather for 80 $ relaced  them to shorten them they dont touch the guard they dont get in the spokes  there is no brackets when i need them grab em out of the closet toss them over the seat piece of rawhide around the sissy bar to secure them .bottle of h2o little smoke ,35mm camera havent lost nothing yet down the road i go

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:18:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.